PDA

View Full Version : Any good books on Reagan's presidency?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey

I'm a big fan of reading about the presidencies of our various presidents--Both Democratic and Republican. I have a series which is called the American Presidency series--Each book focuses on a different president, for example, one is the Presidency of Lyndon B. Johnson by Melvin Small. This series is very objective, reads like a history book and focuses only on the Presidents' years in office; they're not biographies. The series covers every president up to and including George H.W. Bush--except Reagan.

I've looked for books that are objective and focus solely on Reagan's presidency, however I haven't been able to find any that are either biographies, which are about his whole life, or books that either are biased toward him or incredibly biased against him.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend me for a good, objective book focusing on Reagan's years in the White House? And I don't mean the Reagan diaries or anything written from his perspective or his friends--I mean a work written by like a historian, a third party.

PoliCon
11-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey

I'm a big fan of reading about the presidencies of our various presidents--Both Democratic and Republican. I have a series which is called the American Presidency series--Each book focuses on a different president, for example, one is the Presidency of Lyndon B. Johnson by Melvin Small. This series is very objective, reads like a history book and focuses only on the Presidents' years in office; they're not biographies. The series covers every president up to and including George H.W. Bush--except Reagan.

I've looked for books that are objective and focus solely on Reagan's presidency, however I haven't been able to find any that are either biographies, which are about his whole life, or books that either are biased toward him or incredibly biased against him.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend me for a good, objective book focusing on Reagan's years in the White House? And I don't mean the Reagan diaries or anything written from his perspective or his friends--I mean a work written by like a historian, a third party.

If you like books on the presidents have you read FDR's FOLLY or THE FORGOTTEN MAN yet?

As for books about the gipper:

The Wit & Wisdom of Ronald Reagan
by James C. Humes

The Reagan I Knew
by William F. Buckley, Jr.

Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary Leader
by Dinesh D'Souza

Also worth a read are: Reagan in His Own Hand and his diaries he kept while he was president.