PDA

View Full Version : Why did so many of the 60's Anti-War/Activists hate America?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Let me first say I have nothing against being anti-war, or even protesting. I don't have a problem with people who were around in the 60s, or even Hippies--because most of both groups didn't hate America.

Protesting is fine, and it's what makes America America...But there's a line between being against your country's policy and actively cheering on the enemies, and the latter is what so many of the 1960s Activists did. I mean, they spit on our troops, they chanted and hoped that Ho Chi Minh would win, they joined openly communist groups like the Black Panthers and the SDS. Why?
I don't think there was ever a generation in America before--or perhaps since--that had so much hatred for their country and what made America America. To me it is just sort of confusing--They grew up in one of the freest, then most prosperous country in the world, and seemed to want to rebel and destroy everything their parents and grandparents built during and after WWII. Why would people who knew so much prosperity cheer on murderous communists like Ho Chi Minh?

I think it's an important question because not only did their activism hamper the ability to fight the war on the part of Presidents Johnson and Nixon in Vietnam, which led to over 58,000 deaths, but many of the raging activists still hold deep anti-American views today, we know who they are, and they influence policy today.

I honestly think that the America the generation which fought WWII built was the peak of America--Even things such as the Great Society and the Space program--But that 60s generation destroyed so much of it. From the clothes, to the morality of the late 60s to now, to the culture in general--Little of it compares to the greatness of America up to around 1967.

Rockntractor
11-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Let me first say I have nothing against being anti-war, or even protesting. I don't have a problem with people who were around in the 60s, or even Hippies--because most of both groups didn't hate America.

Protesting is fine, and it's what makes America America...But there's a line between being against your country's policy and actively cheering on the enemies, and the latter is what so many of the 1960s Activists did. I mean, they spit on our troops, they chanted and hoped that Ho Chi Minh would win, they joined openly communist groups like the Black Panthers and the SDS. Why?
I don't think there was ever a generation in America before--or perhaps since--that had so much hatred for their country and what made America America. To me it is just sort of confusing--They grew up in one of the freest, then most prosperous country in the world, and seemed to want to rebel and destroy everything their parents and grandparents built during and after WWII. Why would people who knew so much prosperity cheer on murderous communists like Ho Chi Minh?

I think it's an important question because not only did their activism hamper the ability to fight the war on the part of Presidents Johnson and Nixon in Vietnam, which led to over 58,000 deaths, but many of the raging activists still hold deep anti-American views today, we know who they are, and they influence policy today.

I honestly think that the America the generation which fought WWII built was the peak of America--Even things such as the Great Society and the Space program--But that 60s generation destroyed so much of it. From the clothes, to the morality of the late 60s to now, to the culture in general--Little of it compares to the greatness of America up to around 1965.

Because our dead friends and family were being displayed every night on TV because of a war that lead nowhere. The KGB has since admitted to infiltrating these anti war groups and using them to their advantage.

Rockntractor
11-18-2009, 10:17 PM
http://www.amazon.ca/Spies-Rise-Fall-KGB-America/dp/0300123906

Constitutionally Speaking
11-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Why do so many of them hate America?? Because our educational, informational & entertainment media are populated with "useful idiots" and outright treasonous people who purposely fed them anti-American propaganda. The Soviets knew that when you control the information people are given, you control the people.

It has self - perpetuated since the demise of the Soviet Union. That is why the villain in nearly every movie is either a Republican, a businessman or a religious figure. Go check it out - you will be astounded at the frequency of subtle (and not so subtle) slams against conservatives. Look at the background in these movies - the posters, photographs etc. Contemporary issues will be scattered in there with derogatory references to the conservative viewpoint or the villain will be pictured with Reagan (or some conservative icon). For example in "Old School" - the William Farrel, Vince Vaughn comedy. The dweeb antagonist, Dean Pritchard, is shown in a picture hunting and in another with Reagan. In the romantic comedy "Dirty Dancing" the cad who got penny pregnant and refused to help in any way, was a rich conservative who said (paraphrased) "some people just don't matter" and then handed Baby (the protagonist) a copy of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". (Never mind the film had a pro-abortion sub-theme). I can take nearly every movie and find many such slights. My wife HATES watching movies with me.

Look at the news! Nearly every news source out there has a distinctive liberal slant. If you are old enough to remember the pre talk radio days, the ONLY news you could get was slanted toward the left. On the Debate shows, their idea of a fair debate was 4 rabid, but well spoken liberals and one token, milquetoast pseudo-conservative dweeb like David Gergen, who never got to say anything - unless he agreed with the libs (think Sean Hannity's TV show segment titled the "Great American Debate" times ten).

College Professors play an ENORMOUS role in brainwashing our kids. The most liberal place on earth is an American college campus. They are taught that Che was a good Guy. They are force fed things from Chomsky and taught "facts" like America is the cause of all the wold's problems.

Gingersnap
11-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Most of them didn't hate America but all of them were hopelessly naive and idealistic. Remember, that generation created nothing in particular of its own but it ran with the popular causes of the day. Protesting, minor vandalism, media coverage, and obstructing the work of colleges, factories, or lumber companies counted as "doing something" for them.

Their idealism made them believe that the system was so utterly corrupt that it had to be destroyed and rebuilt. Their naiveté blinded them to the obvious truth that any institutions they destroyed would just be rebuilt by opportunists, not their fellow idealists.

They had the mindset of teenagers: this isn't fair, you're stupid, I hate you. :rolleyes:

obx
11-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Many people on the right were torn about the war also. Not because we thought it was wrong, but because the govt. would not let the Army do their job. Hell, it was not even called a war. A "Police Action". Kind of sounds like what they are planning in NY, dosen't it.
________
ANIME VIDEOS (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/3/anime/videos/1)