PDA

View Full Version : La main gauche de Dieu

C Fabregas
11-19-2009, 02:37 AM
While I'm not sad to see the French through to the World Cup, the Irish were hard done by, losing on an obvious hand ball by former Gunner, Thierry Henry. I've heard you Yanks complain about the use of television replay by the referees in your football. However, had it been in use last night, it would have immediately shown that Henry fielded the ball with his left hand.

Le Hand of God
From MARTIN BLACKBURN in Paris
France 1 Rep of Ire 1 - (aet; France win 2-1 on agg)
Published: Today

FURIOUS Ireland branded Thierry Henry a cheat, after Le Hand of God sent France to the World Cup.

The Arsenal legend did a Maradona by TWICE using his hand to set up William Gallas' extra-time clincher.

Even Henry admitted: "The ball hit my hand and, I will be honest, it was a handball.

"I played it, the ref allowed it. It would have been better to do it another way, but I am not the ref."

Irish defender Richard Dunne, asked if Henry had cheated, replied: "I think it is quite blatant that he did. It's not even a hard decision."

Striker Kevin Doyle raged: "It is sickening. I am sure Henry did not expect to get away with it because it was so obvious.

"The linesman had the best view, apart from Shay Given.

"It is difficult. We are all gutted. You do not blame the player if he can get away with it. It's nearly a natural reaction."

Continued... (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2736877/Le-Hand-of-God.html)

Constitutionally Speaking
11-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Depends on how it is implemented.

Here, it cannot be used to call a penalty, only to review placement of the ball, whether or not a fumble or a completion occurred, or whether the goal line was crossed etc.

It could be used to assess a fine after the fact, but it would not have changed the game in the particular case you mention - at least not if the same rules governing it's use were implemented.

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2009, 08:24 PM
I like instant replay the way it is utilized in the college game. No red flag challenges and a booth review as the game proceeds.

patriot45
11-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I thought this was a sports forum!?! I can handle some Rugby, watched some youtube stuff, but soccer is the pits!

UFC saturday nite! another American sport! I got a housefull coming over for it. If I called all my friends over for a soccer game I would get beat up!! :D