PDA

View Full Version : UnFriending Facebook.

Gingersnap
11-19-2009, 05:11 PM
The week I tried to unfriend Facebook: Could you log off from your entire online life?

By Flic Everett
Last updated at 7:41 AM on 19th November 2009

Oh no, not another one. . . that's the fourth in a week,' sighed a friend recently, studying her Facebook page.

Her mates, it appeared, were doing what would have been unthinkable just a few months ago - and saying farewell to Facebook and ta-ra to Twitter.

Perhaps they were inspired by Lily Allen, who recently quit Tweeting to spend more time with her boyfriend. Or Stephen Fry, who threatened to. Or perhaps they were alarmed by a survey which revealed that social networking sites are costing Britain more than 1.3 billion a year in lost working hours.

Or maybe the novelty of following other people's pedestrian updates has simply begun to pall.

As a freelance writer, who spends most days home alone, I, too, am a Facebook addict. Recently, my craving reached the point where I could barely log off for fear that I'd accidentally miss some new update or trivial comment.

Even Saturday nights became a Facebook frenzy as my 30-plus friends debated the merits of Jamie Afro versus Danyl Johnson on The X Factor. And if I couldn't get to the laptop (because my husband or son had swiped it to do their own social networking), there was always the ping of the BlackBerry announcing a new email or MSN message.

Basically, I couldn't imagine living without the power to connect instantly with the world - even if it's only to tell them that I'm watching Flash Forward and eating a curry.

As for emails, I'm so terrified of missing work commissions that I check them as often as I check my watch.

So the idea of living without a laptop, Facebook and BlackBerry for a week felt as unnerving as being sent into space. Would things change? Would I have any friends left when I returned? And, most terrifyingly, what would I be missing?

In a bid to break my growing addiction, I gritted my teeth, sent a final goodbye message, and logged off . . .

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1229106/The-week-I-tried-unfriend-Facebook-Could-log-entire-online-life.html#ixzz0XLU59rMX

Read the whole thing; it's interesting. I sometimes feel like a member of an alien species simply because I have no trouble at all being highly amused in meatspace. I like the Internet and I have fun with CU but social networking isn't part of my life. I don't go online 24/7. I don't even read my personal email more than twice a week or so. :)

JB
11-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Sheesh. Someone sounds needy.

It's not a question of should she logoff but how quickly.