PDA

View Full Version : Court: Army Corps of Engineers liable for Katrina flooding

SarasotaRepub
11-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Let the Fun begin!!!! (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/18/louisiana.katrina.lawsuit/index.html) :rolleyes:

(CNN) -- The Army Corps of Engineers' failure to properly maintain a shipping channel linking New Orleans, Louisiana, to the Gulf of Mexico led to catastrophic flooding during Hurricane Katrina, a federal court ruled Wednesday.

"It is the court's opinion that the negligence of the Corps, in this instance by failing to maintain the MRGO properly, was not policy, but insouciance, myopia and short-sightedness," U.S. District Court Judge Stanwood Duval Jr. wrote in his lengthy ruling, referring to the Mississippi River-Gulf Outlet canal.

"For over 40 years, the Corps was aware that the Reach II levee protecting Chalmette and the Lower Ninth Ward was going to be compromised by the continued deterioration of the MRGO ... The Corps had an opportunity to take a myriad of actions to alleviate this deterioration or rehabilitate this deterioration and failed to do so. Clearly, the expression 'talk is cheap' applies here."

Duval's ruling was issued in a lawsuit brought by six plaintiffs affected by the 2005 hurricane, who claimed the Corps of Engineers was liable for damages. The judge ruled against one couple, who lived in New Orleans East, but awarded the others, from the Lower 9th Ward and St. Bernard Parish, damages ranging from $100,000 to $317,000.

I'll lay odds this turns into a fraud nightmare.

Eagle
11-19-2009, 07:41 PM
What a bunch of BS. Mr. Chocolate city and the govenor are the ones that screwed up. Allocated resources to other purposes.

lacarnut
11-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Most of the 9th Ward was a swamp and below sea level. The Corps should have never pumped the water out and houses should have never been built in that district. That area should be bulldozed and let it go back to nature.

I do not know why it's the Corps fault. I guess the people that live there never heard of flood insurance. It's like the dumb asses that rent an apartment and a fire destroys. it. If you are too stupid to get homeowners along with for flood insurance and a storm destroys your property, that's what I call tough shitsky. The government should not be liable for your ignorance.