PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Browser......

Gingersnap
11-19-2009, 08:02 PM
What is your fav browser, emailer, security software or other hour-to-hour package?

Bonus points: what's your favorite de-crapifying strategy for bloatware?

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Internet Explorer.

Rockntractor
11-19-2009, 08:34 PM
opera 10

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2009, 08:35 PM
opera 10

Ever tried Internet Explorer?

Rockntractor
11-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Ever tried Internet Explorer?
Thats a good way to get viruses and spyware!

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Thats a good way to get viruses and spyware!

And bloatware? Are those fat viruses?

Rockntractor
11-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Maybe you should ask Shannon.

Gingersnap
11-19-2009, 08:51 PM

No. Bloatware is the crap that comes preloaded. :(

FlaGator
11-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Firefox. There is not better browser and I have almost all of them installed to test when I'm developing web sites or web applications..

Rockntractor
11-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Firefox. There is not better browser and I have almost all of them installed to test when I'm developing web sites or web applications..

Firefox is better than most but it is becoming so common viruses are being written for it. I like Opera because it only has something like 2% market share yet is fully functional and works well.

PoliCon
11-19-2009, 09:06 PM
FireFox with Adblock plus and NoScript.

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Um....Opera 10 is my browser....now.

Figuring out how to use it.

Rockntractor
11-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Um....Opera 10 is my browser....now.

Figuring out how to use it.

It is easy to use. Download Firefox also. i am just a nervous person I used to use it until it got popular. What do you use for a firewall?

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2009, 09:32 PM
It is easy to use. Download Firefox also. i am just a nervous person I used to use it until it got popular. What do you use for a firewall?

Windows defender and Macafee anti virus.

Rockntractor
11-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Windows defender and Macafee anti virus.

I always like to have my firewall a different brand than my antivirus. I wish I could afford a hardware firewall.

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2009, 09:38 PM
I always like to have my firewall a different brand than my antivirus. I wish I could afford a hardware firewall.

a hardware firewall? Cool.

Rockntractor
11-19-2009, 09:41 PM
a hardware firewall? Cool.
I'm sure Flagator could tell us all about them.

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm sure Flagator could tell us all about them.

Yeah, but it would be in Latin. And there would be candles. :D

stsinner
11-19-2009, 09:51 PM
I use Firefox because of the add-ons that store my bookmarks, and other reasons.. And to get rid of bloatware that comes preloaded, I use the The PC Decrapifier. (http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/)

For email I use Mozilla Thunderbird.

stsinner
11-19-2009, 09:53 PM

If you use a Linksys router, it should have a firewall in it-my WRT54G does.

Rockntractor
11-19-2009, 09:58 PM
If you use a Linksys router, it should have a firewall in it-my WRT54G does.

They don't offer the protection an actual stand alone hardware firewall does.

Gingersnap
11-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Let's get back to the OP post, boyz.

Sadly, I did not go with my original Apple plan. We had a deal there that I could not resist coupled with Mr. Snaps' suspicion that going Mac would eventually mean doing yoga and eating sprouts.

I have 3 systems to de-crap next week. This absolutely is the time to do "new" everything as I will not be migrating anything to these new computers aside from one creaky Quattro Pro file (and it's huge). I figure I can use Open Office for that guy.

So, tell me how de-crap, secure, and streamline my whole new HP system. I have a desktop, a laptop, and a Windows 7 Starter netbook. Don't hate on the Ginger - it is what it is in terms of marital compromise. :D

stsinner
11-19-2009, 10:04 PM

Sadly, I did not go with my original Apple plan. We had a deal there that I could not resist coupled with Mr. Snaps' suspicion that going Mac would eventually mean doing yoga and eating sprouts.

I have 3 systems to de-crap next week. This absolutely is the time to do "new" everything as I will not be migrating anything to these new computers aside from one creaky Quattro Pro file (and it's huge). I figure I can use Open Office for that guy.

So, tell me how de-crap, secure, and streamline my whole new HP system. I have a desktop, a laptop, and a Windows 7 Starter netbook. Don't hate on the Ginger - it is what it is in terms of marital compromise. :D

Did you miss my post about the PC Decrapifier?

Gingersnap
11-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Did you miss my post about the PC Decrapifier?

I did not and your contrib was a good one. I already knew about De-Crapifier and I will use it but there's always room for improvement. Plus, I want to know what you guys think about The Bat!,. Firefox's 3.5, and assorted other useful apps.

I am cuddling up to an completely new set of systems - no baggage. Give me your best shot. :D

enslaved1
11-20-2009, 12:28 AM
I've been using and enjoying Chrome for a couple reasons...
1) I'm bouncing around between several different computers and living off my thumbdrive
B) my portable firefox has been a royal pain in the butt, not accepting the fact that machines HAVE updated to Flash10, and it has been rather slow, likely due in part to too many extensions installed on it.

I do miss my addons though, like DownThemAll, Download Helper, TwittyTunes, FoxyTunes, and others.

PoliCon
11-20-2009, 10:07 PM

AVG for anti-virus and Comodo for firewall. Plus my Router has a built in firewall.

JB
11-22-2009, 01:57 PM
IE6 still. I tried IE7 and it sucked. IE8 I only messed with a bit and uninstalled it. Will probably upgrade to it.

I went the Firefox route. It was pretty good but when I imported my IE favorites it placed them in alphabetical order instead of the chronological order I have them in IE6. If there's a way to maintain them in Firefox the way I have them in IE, I would switch. Anyone know before I start the innerwebs searching?

hampshirebrit
11-22-2009, 02:00 PM
What is your fav browser, emailer, security software or other hour-to-hour package?

Mac (Safari)

Bonus points: what's your favorite de-crapifying strategy for bloatware?

Mac (Doh) :D

hampshirebrit
11-22-2009, 02:10 PM

Sadly, I did not go with my original Apple plan.

ZOMFG, Ginger. :eek: I thought you were one of the cool kids. What did you go and do that for? :confused::(

Rockntractor
11-22-2009, 02:33 PM
ZOMFG, Ginger. :eek: I thought you were one of the cool kids. What did you go and do that for? :confused::(
She is giving them more time to get up to speed.

hampshirebrit
11-22-2009, 02:40 PM
She is giving them more time to get up to speed.

I'm sorry, but what do piggies know about browsers and good operating systems, I mean, come on. :p

Rockntractor
11-22-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm sorry, but what do piggies know about browsers and good operating systems, I mean, come on. :p

I'm thinking about putting snow leopard on a PC just for the hell of it. If we ever develop thumbs we will rule the world and you will be bacon!:D

Space Gravy
11-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Safari.