PDA

View Full Version : "Reid Buys Landrieu's Vote with $100 Million of Our Money ."

megimoo
11-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Harry Reid Woos Skeptical Democrats
snip
What does it take to get a wavering senator to vote for health care reform?
Here’s a case study.

On page 432 of the Reid bill, there is a section increasing federal Medicaid subsidies for “certain states recovering from a major disaster.”

The section spends two pages defining which “states” would qualify, saying, among other things, that it would be states that “during the preceding 7 fiscal years” have been declared a “major disaster area.”

I am told the section applies to exactly one state: Louisiana, the home of moderate Democrat Mary Landrieu, who has been playing hard to get on the health care bill.

In other words, the bill spends two pages describing would could be written with a single world: Louisiana. (This may also help explain why the bill is long.)

Senator Harry Reid, who drafted the bill, cannot pass it without the support of Louisiana’s Mary Landrieu.

How much does it cost? According to the Congressional Budget Office: $100 million.

Here’s the incredibly complicated language:

SEC. 2006. SPECIAL ADJUSTMENT TO FMAP DETERMINATION FOR CERTAIN STATES RECOVERING FROM A MAJOR DISASTER.

Section 1905 of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1396d), as amended by sections 2001(a)(3) and
2001(b)(2), is amended— (1) in subsection (b), in the first sentence, by striking ‘‘subsection (y)’’ and inserting ‘‘subsections (y) and (aa)’’; and (2) by adding at the end the following new subsection:

‘‘(aa)(1) Notwithstanding subsection (b), beginning January 1, 2011, the Federal medical assistance percentage for a fiscal year for a disaster-recovery FMAP adjustment State shall be equal to the following:
‘(A) In the case of the first fiscal year (or part of a fiscal year) for which this subsection applies to the State, the Federal medical assistance percentage determined for the fiscal year without regard to this subsection and subsection (y), increased by 50 percent of the number of percentage points by which the Federal medical assistance percentage determined for the State for the fiscal year without regard to this subsection and subsection (y), is less than the Federal medical assistance percentage determined for the State for the preceding fiscal year after the application of only subsection (a) of section 5001 of Public Law 111–5 (if applicable to the preceding fiscal year) and without regard to this subsection, subsection (y), and subsections (b) and (c) of section 5001 of Public Law 111–5

read the rest if you can stand the bull shit !"
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2009/11/the-100-million-health-care-vote.html
.................................................. .

patriot45
11-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Harry Reid Woos Skeptical Democrats
snip
What does it take to get a wavering senator to vote for health care reform?
Here’s a case study.

On page 432 of the Reid bill, there is a section increasing federal Medicaid subsidies for “certain states recovering from a major disaster.”

The section spends two pages defining which “states” would qualify, saying, among other things, that it would be states that “during the preceding 7 fiscal years” have been declared a “major disaster area.”

I am told the section applies to exactly one state: Louisiana, the home of moderate Democrat Mary Landrieu, who has been playing hard to get on the health care bill.

In other words, the bill spends two pages describing would could be written with a single world: Louisiana. (This may also help explain why the bill is long.)

Senator Harry Reid, who drafted the bill, cannot pass it without the support of Louisiana’s Mary Landrieu.

How much does it cost? According to the Congressional Budget Office: $100 million.

Here’s the incredibly complicated language:

SEC. 2006. SPECIAL ADJUSTMENT TO FMAP DETERMINATION FOR CERTAIN STATES RECOVERING FROM A MAJOR DISASTER.

Section 1905 of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1396d), as amended by sections 2001(a)(3) and
2001(b)(2), is amended— (1) in subsection (b), in the first sentence, by striking ‘‘subsection (y)’’ and inserting ‘‘subsections (y) and (aa)’’; and (2) by adding at the end the following new subsection:

‘‘(aa)(1) Notwithstanding subsection (b), beginning January 1, 2011, the Federal medical assistance percentage for a fiscal year for a disaster-recovery FMAP adjustment State shall be equal to the following:
‘(A) In the case of the first fiscal year (or part of a fiscal year) for which this subsection applies to the State, the Federal medical assistance percentage determined for the fiscal year without regard to this subsection and subsection (y), increased by 50 percent of the number of percentage points by which the Federal medical assistance percentage determined for the State for the fiscal year without regard to this subsection and subsection (y), is less than the Federal medical assistance percentage determined for the State for the preceding fiscal year after the application of only subsection (a) of section 5001 of Public Law 111–5 (if applicable to the preceding fiscal year) and without regard to this subsection, subsection (y), and subsections (b) and (c) of section 5001 of Public Law 111–5

read the rest if you can stand the bull shit !"
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2009/11/the-100-million-health-care-vote.html
.................................................. .

Mark Levin was all over this tonite! 100 million will buy Landreau, what kind of other deals were made!

megimoo
11-19-2009, 10:01 PM
The $100 Million Vote: Harry Reid Woos Skeptical Democrats
..........................................snip
Getting the bill passed will be a tough and controversial battle. Republicans are ready to put their weight behind opposing the plan, and are getting more pointed with their criticisms of the bill.

"It's going to be a holy war," Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, told The New York Times.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., has threatened to use a procedural move that would require Senators to read the entire health care bill before voting for it.

One of the main Republican talking points against the Democrats' health care proposals is that they are each, as Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has put it, "another thousand-page, trillion-dollar spending bill."

If Democrats are ultimately able to pass a bill through the Congress, however, which would be unlikely until next year, it would be a melded version of the Senate and House bills and would be closer to 2,000 pages than a 4,000-page amalgam.

But Republicans have taken the two roughly 2,000-page stacks of paper and placed them one on top the other, creating a 4,000-page pedestal of paper on the Senate floor.

Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., comfortably put his elbow on the stack while giving a floor speech this morning.

"So we've got, we've got a little reading to do, a little work to do," Alexander said of the bill.

"Here is my early verdict in terms of the Thanksgiving season.

This is the same turkey that you saw in August and it's not going to taste any better in November.

It's not much different than what worried you in August. In fact, it's gotten a little bit worse."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/HealthCare/sen-harry-reid-woes-skeptical-democrats-health-care/story?id=9124461

patriot45
11-19-2009, 10:14 PM
The $100 Million Vote: Harry Reid Woos Skeptical Democrats
..........................................snip
Getting the bill passed will be a tough and controversial battle. Republicans are ready to put their weight behind opposing the plan, and are getting more pointed with their criticisms of the bill.

"It's going to be a holy war," Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, told The New York Times.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., has threatened to use a procedural move that would require Senators to read the entire health care bill before voting for it.

One of the main Republican talking points against the Democrats' health care proposals is that they are each, as Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has put it, "another thousand-page, trillion-dollar spending bill."

If Democrats are ultimately able to pass a bill through the Congress, however, which would be unlikely until next year, it would be a melded version of the Senate and House bills and would be closer to 2,000 pages than a 4,000-page amalgam.

But Republicans have taken the two roughly 2,000-page stacks of paper and placed them one on top the other, creating a 4,000-page pedestal of paper on the Senate floor.

Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., comfortably put his elbow on the stack while giving a floor speech this morning.

"So we've got, we've got a little reading to do, a little work to do," Alexander said of the bill.

"Here is my early verdict in terms of the Thanksgiving season.

This is the same turkey that you saw in August and it's not going to taste any better in November.

It's not much different than what worried you in August. In fact, it's gotten a little bit worse."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/HealthCare/sen-harry-reid-woes-skeptical-democrats-health-care/story?id=9124461

Hey I'm reading the new King book Its over a 1000 page and it will take me a week to read and its an exciting book, Imagine having to read that ridiculous bll!?! It would kill lesser mortals, by the way they wont read it and when it passes they will have to play with it forever to try to make it work, it will be an epic fail!

SaintLouieWoman
11-19-2009, 11:05 PM
I think the opponents should post a list of which Dems have been bought and for how much. It should be trumpeted across all the talk shows and wherever else they can get it out.

They should keep it simple, the names and the details of each bribe and how much it will cost each taxpayer. Break it down per taxpayer. I suspect it will get any fair thinking, hard working individual very angry. It will make it easier to understand how we're being ripped off.

lacarnut
11-19-2009, 11:17 PM
I will write Landrieu a couple of more letters. Calling her is a joke because you only get her voice mail and no one calls you back. She sends out the standard form letter stating that she support health care reform, blah, blah blah but there are many issues so she is undecided.

She just recently got re-elected last year so she has 5 more years to serve before she has to face the voters again. However, she barely won against a very weak Repub. candidate. My letter will not let her forget that her vote for this bill will be a vote against seniors and a vote against what the citizens want.

AmPat
11-20-2009, 12:06 AM
I understand that the loot will be pillaged from the medicare rubble. How that works is a mystery because Medicare is bankrupt. The Porkycare bill will only make Medicare die faster. (I don't agree with Medicare in the first place but how DIMocRAT math works is only understood by other DIMs.

z06gal
11-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I honestly never thought I would live to see the day in America when our gov't was this corrupt and evil. :mad: This is THE most inept and deceptive administration ever to step foot in Washington. It is a sad, sad time. :confused:

AmPat
11-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I honestly never thought I would live to see the day in America when our gov't was this corrupt and evil. :mad: This is THE most inept and deceptive administration ever to step foot in Washington. It is a sad, sad time. :confused:

But this isn't possible. Fancy Nancy said the DUMbs would change the "culture of corruption" pervasive in Washington. Dirty Harry stood next to her and essentially blamed the GOP for all the corruption. The Bush admiinistration was SOOOO bad that O Blah Blah claimed he would have the "most transparent administration ever." He must have meant all those closed door meetings with Andy and the secret visitor's log that had to be pried out of their precious little hands.:rolleyes:

Why the transparency must be why they have those Saturday night cloture votes to pass this "necessary" legislation.:rolleyes:

SarasotaRepub
11-20-2009, 07:14 PM
I just saw her on Fox News and she said she still hasn't decided. :rolleyes: