PDA

View Full Version : V - 2009 series

Sonnabend
11-20-2009, 03:42 AM
Thanks to a person who shall remain nameless, I have seen the first two episodes, and am majorly impressed. Tight scripting, some breakneck scenes, and one hell of an approach...this may be a remake, but it is fresh and solid and chilling.

ABC refuses to screen the series outside the USA...and our idiot TV channels wont have it until next year...even the pay channels havent picked it up.

And as for books? UGH. I've had to organise a copy of Liberty and Tyranny, as well as Going Rogue from overseas.

Networking: gotta love it :)

The shift in paradigm to "they have been here for years" was a brilliant move, as it sets the scene for some clever subthemes..the characters are well set.

Word is there will only be four episodes before going to hiatus in 2010.

"You're an FBI agent"?

"You're a PRIEST"?

Love it :D

Scene to set shivers up your spine..Anna in front of a fashion hologram..until you remember what's beneath the skin :eek:

Wonder what she'd say when she sees the luggage? "You skinned my ANCESTOR"? :D

hampshirebrit
11-20-2009, 03:53 AM
Does one have to have seen the old V to get into this, or is it like what the the Re-imagined Battlestar Galactica is to the 1980s version?

It sounds good ... I'll have to get downloading.

Sonnabend
11-20-2009, 03:58 AM
Hamps, you CANT get it from the ABC site as they'll block you owing to IP unless you can spoof it...or yeah, get it from p2p, just be wary that you get the whole thing.

Missing even a few minutes will ruin it.:eek:

The old V? Hm, a miniseries, The Final Battle and the TV series is a lot to watch.

Try YouTube for the original series. Ever see Nightmare on Elm Street? Believe it or not Freddie Krueger was once a nice alien named William.

Talk about a career change :eek:

Speedy
11-20-2009, 04:13 AM
Does one have to have seen the old V to get into this, or is it like what the the Re-imagined Battlestar Galactica is to the 1980s version?

You can watch it as it stands on it's own. It has nothing to do with the original series other than sharing the same premise.

Sonnabend
11-20-2009, 04:16 AM
You can watch it as it stands on it's own. It has nothing to do with the original series other than sharing the same premise.

True, but in context and to get the flavour, its fun to watch both.

That and Jane Badler is HAWT..saw her at a premier once, she smiled and waved, she'd just moved here and I called out "welcome to Australia"..she turned, smiled HUGELY and said "Thank you...I love it here" :)

Speedy
11-20-2009, 05:17 AM
I really like Flash Forward, Fringe and V but they still pale next to Battlestar Galactica to me. Every episode I watch of BSG is epic, with outstanding camera work and the music, OMG! The music almost drives the scenes at times. To say nothing of the editing. I have been watching the whole series from the beginning and the last episode I watched this past weekend was the Pegasus episode that ended with Admiral Helena Cain ordering her XO and a squad of Marines to assasinate Commander Adama but at the same time Commander Adama has ordered Starbuck and Apollo to assassinate Admiral Caine. I could cheat and watch the next episode ahead of time, but I will watch it with my daughter on the night I have planned to do it.

Gingersnap
11-20-2009, 09:56 AM

I concur with Speedy, you don't need a background with the original to get into this one. I dvr this in real time and catch up with it on the weekends. So far, I like it a lot.

noonwitch
11-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I saw the first and the third episodes, and the new show is very different from the original. This one is better-cast, with actors who aren't campy at all.

Tuesday's episode was really good. The plot twist where the V doctor killed the injured V to keep him from telling about how the FBI agent shot him was well done.

The actress who plays Anna is funny when interviewed about her character. She refuses to see Anna as a villian, she says she is a strong leader who is doing what she thinks she has to for her "people".

hampshirebrit
11-20-2009, 03:25 PM
This sounds like it will be worth the effort. Normally I bit-torrent this sort of thing, and if I like it enough, I then go and buy it, preferably in BluRay if it's available.

I just saw, last weekend, that all of the R-I BSG is available in BluRay in region 2 format. Damn it, I just, this year, finished buying the whole six series on standard DVD.

Bijou or any other brit-based CUer, I will sell you, at a total knock down bargain rate, the DVD version. You need this:D, and I absolutely have to have the blu-ray version. The show is that good. I cannot recommend it enough, and BluRay is da shiznitt, for both video and audio quality.

From what you guys are saying so far, it looks like V-2009 is going to be worth the same effort.

Speedy, I didn't realise you hadn't finished watching all of BSG 4. Every single episode is better than the last. You have a lot of good new episodes coming your way. BSG really is the very best TV I've seen ever; there are very few shows that come anywhere near to being as good. It is one amongst a very small number of shows I will consistently revisit.

Rebel Yell
11-20-2009, 03:43 PM
I just watched the last episode on my lunch break. It was the best one yet, well paced and not rushed. Too bad we only get one more new episode until 2010.

Speedy
11-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Speedy, I didn't realise you hadn't finished watching all of BSG 4. Every single episode is better than the last. You have a lot of good new episodes coming your way. BSG really is the very best TV I've seen ever; there are very few shows that come anywhere near to being as good. It is one amongst a very small number of shows I will consistently revisit.

I am very impressed with BSG. The characters are so real that you feel their emotions as they are going through them on the screen. My daughter actually cried when we watched the "Hand of God" episode where the Fleet kicks the cylon's ass on the Tilium asteroid and Apollo and the other Viper pilots are hailed as heros upon their return. It was the Colonials first victory over the cylons after cutting and running from every battle before. I have never had a series hit me on such an emotional level before.

Almost every episode I have seen is so well written, so well acted and directed and the music just makes it so epic. That this great a show was on a lowly cable channel like SciFi makes it even more amazing. I can't believe that I never saw it before I did.

hampshirebrit
11-20-2009, 06:09 PM
I am very impressed with BSG. I can't believe that I never saw it before I did.

LOL. I am so glad you like I like it. :D

I felt the same way when I saw it first, so much so that I was like, WTF, what took me so long to get to it.

The funny thing is that it took another CUer to turn me on to it.

OK. this is so different, but in many ways so similar: Rome. Two boxed sets sitting in storage in the basement for two years before I thought to play them.

You will have to work at it at first - there are no nukes and no Berretta Storm ARs in Rome, but there is a bunch of nice looking women doing a lot of very ( good lord, at times very) interesting :p things, so much so that you will quickly see the similarities between the two, as the politics are almost disconcertingly identical to BSG.

The sight of Mark Antony pissing into Cicero's ornamental plant pot just in order to make a political point a bit more political is a truly funny, well portrayed scene.

The only regret will be that they did not make as many seasons of Rome as they did of BSG, because the PVs on each are off the scale.

Speedy
11-20-2009, 07:38 PM
OK. this is so different, but in many ways so similar: Rome. Two boxed sets sitting in storage in the basement for two years before I thought to play them

The only regret will be that they did not make as many seasons of Rome as they did of BSG, because the PVs on each are off the scale.

I saw Rome when it was airing on HBO. I am a big history buff so I was not going to miss it. It was a favorite series of mine.

Sonnabend
11-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Just saw the latest episode.

Holy

shit

:eek::eek: