PDA

View Full Version : Oprah Pulls Out Of Shy Town, Mayor Blames "Media"

Gingersnap
11-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Nov 19, 2009 8:56 pm US/Central

Daley: Media Partly To Blame For Oprah's Decision
Chicago Mayor Says Winfrey May Be The Most Successful Woman Ever In The U.S.

Mike Parker CHICAGO (CBS) ―

Mayor Daley had words of admiration for Oprah Winfrey on Thursday and suggested unfair criticism about her closure of Michigan Avenue may have expedited her departure from Chicago.

CBS 2's Mike Parker reports.

Daley said Thursday evening he's going to call Oprah to get the real story. But he's obviously concerned that if she says farewell to this city it'll be a blow to Chicago's image.

"I think she was the most successful woman that we will ever know in the history of this country," Daley said at a fundraising event for United Negro College Fund.

The mayor says it was the flap over the show's season opener on Michigan Avenue in September that may have helped set Oprah's travel plans in stone. There was criticism about shutting down the Magnificent Mile for days for the taping. She reimbursed the city for costs related to the closure.

"That became a big rhubarb in the Chicago press -- beat up Oprah," Daley told reporters. "So you keep kicking people, people will leave, simple as that."

Pressed about whether the media really caused Oprah to flee, Daley added: "I'm just saying that when someone's doing something like that, most cities would love it. It's just amazing. I don't know why it became so controversial."

Sun-Times columnist Richard Roeper joked on todays CBS 2 Morning News: "I think he's officially lost his mind. I think Richie has gone over the deep end."

She lost my interest when she stopped booking lesbian albino twins and the bi-racial families that raised them. :D

CBS2Chicago (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/Daley.Oprah.2.1323533.html)

lacarnut
11-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Horrors, I never watched the fat pig.:rolleyes::)

Sonnabend
11-20-2009, 05:44 PM
She lost my interest when she stopped booking lesbian albino twins and the bi-racial families that raised them

Refused to air Sarah Palin, and came on stage with an Obama t shirt. Ask me again why I hate liberals.

AmPat
11-20-2009, 06:41 PM
She figured that a no talent, no experience, no intelligence moron can become POTUS, she will be a shoe-in in 2012.:eek:;)

RobJohnson
11-21-2009, 01:44 AM
Refused to air Sarah Palin, and came on stage with an Obama t shirt. Ask me again why I hate liberals.

Sarah was just on Ophra less then a week ago.....

Oprah wanted to cash in on Sarah's new book!

Oprah leaving network tv has been in the works for a while, she wants to move the show to her cable network.

noonwitch
11-23-2009, 08:52 AM
I liked her better when she had two names.

I've got nothing for or against her. She's rich and successful, good for her.