PDA

View Full Version : Eight Deep-Fried Turkey Disaster Videos [you're doing it wrong]

bijou
11-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Under the sparkle and shine of every holiday lurks a certain amount of evil: The 4th of July has fireworks accidents, Christmas has decorative light electrical fires, Valentine's Day has awkward romantic gestures. Thanksgiving should be safe, apart from the inherent danger of simply being around your relatives for a full day. Safe, that is, until it occurred to someone to drop a whole turkey into a vat of molten peanut oil. And then oops, FIRE. A word to this wise? Defrost the turkey all the way, and dry that sucker off.

Below, eight videos of idiots nearly sending themselves, their homes, and their loved ones up in turkey-flavored flameballs (as well as a few staged explosions) listed in order from least to most flames.

fF7MtfDDp6A

link (http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/11/deep-fried-turkey-disaster-videos-youre-doing-it-wrong/)

It wouldn't happen with tofurkey. :D

Gingersnap
11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
It wouldn't happen with tofurkey. :D

It would happen faster and with more lethal consequences. :D

Turkey-frying is pretty popular where I live but I would never, ever try it.

megimoo
11-23-2009, 05:23 PM
It would happen faster and with more lethal consequences. :D

Turkey-frying is pretty popular where I live but I would never, ever try it.Don't be afraid if done correctly there is little danger.These Ding Bats who dump a frozen turkey into a pot of hot oil or those who try it indoors should check into a mental hospital and be examined for a lack of brains.

The guy in the clip had so much oil in the pot and was holding the bird in the pot with the hook .

When it spilled over and flashed to flames and he dropped the bird into the full pot and the boiling hot oil it cascaded out over the sides into flames.
All things considered he was a total idiot !

FlaGator
11-23-2009, 05:35 PM
I read somewhere that on average 130 houses burn to the ground on Thanksgiving because of deep frying turkeys to close to the house.

SarasotaRepub
11-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I read somewhere that on average 130 houses burn to the ground on Thanksgiving because of deep frying turkeys to close to the house.

LOL!!! You should need a permit. :D

Full-Auto
11-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I done burned 3 trailers to the ground doin dat myself.

Gingersnap
11-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Don't be afraid if done correctly there is little danger.

I've said the same exact thing myself more than once. It's basically just a code-phrase for "I know what I'm doing but you're going to blow some fingers off, friend".

I like the taste of deep-fried turkey but not enough to attempt it. Plus, you have to buy the oil (not really a cost-effective purchase) and dispose of it later.

I cook my indoor turkeys in a big clay pot and I do my outdoor turkeys in a smoker. No fire dangers either way.

megimoo
11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
I've said the same exact thing myself more than once. It's basically just a code-phrase for "I know what I'm doing but you're going to blow some fingers off, friend".

I like the taste of deep-fried turkey but not enough to attempt it. Plus, you have to buy the oil (not really a cost-effective purchase) and dispose of it later.

I cook my indoor turkeys in a big clay pot and I do my outdoor turkeys in a smoker. No fire dangers either way.The peanut oil is about $23.00/gal and can be recycled .It won't "blow some fingers off" no matter how badly you 'screw up'.

The way to do it safely is to thaw the bird completely then split it,removing the backbone and wings and legs.Put the halves one at a time in a basket and fry them in a deep fryer.Deep fry the legs or make soup later.It uses much less oil and taste the same .

It makes for safer cooking and the bird is easier to slice.You are correct the best way to do an outdoor bird is to roast it in a outdoor grill with a pan to catch the drippings or smoke it !

Gingersnap
11-23-2009, 09:00 PM
The peanut oil is about $23.00/gal and can be recycled .It won't "blow some fingers off" no matter how badly you 'screw up'.

The way to do it safely is to thaw the bird completely then split it,removing the backbone and wings and legs.Put the halves one at a time in a basket and fry them in a deep fryer.Deep fry the legs or make soup later.It uses much less oil and taste the same .

It makes for safer cooking and the bird is easier to slice.You are correct the best way to do an outdoor bird is to roast it in a outdoor grill with a pan to catch the drippings or smoke it !

I've been using a turkey-sized Romertopf clay pot for years and I love it. There is no basting. The breast doesn't overcook while leaving the thighs all pink and icky. The bird browns in the pot beautifully while sparing the oven any spatters. The texture is perfect and the taste is amazing.

I use clay pots a lot and I can't think of any down-side to them. :)

Rockntractor
11-23-2009, 09:10 PM
I am still going to fry one one of these days. If the fryer doesn't kill you Obama will any way.

Bubba Dawg
11-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm sure I saw this here but I can't remember who said it:

Build a man a fire, and you make him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Gingersnap
11-23-2009, 09:20 PM

Build a man a fire, and you make him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Sounds like Feeb to me. :p

lacarnut
11-23-2009, 09:41 PM
I do not like fried turkey. I will take a smoked one any day.

Speedy
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM

That was me. It was one of my dad's favorite sayings along with, "That boy don't have all his dogs barking at once!" And, "It is okay to to lose your train of thought but when you lose the tracks that your train of thought is supposed to run on..."