PDA

View Full Version : Tis Tuesday Once More.

Rockntractor
11-24-2009, 01:42 AM
Tuesday, Nov 24
High: 58 °F RealFeel®: 53 °F
Breezy and cooler with clouds giving way to some sun.
It is supposed to start cooling down tonight and the rest of the week will be chilly.
We are still canning chili today. I'll let my wife finish with the chili I have to go run the dozer.
I have 50 pounds of beef curing and I will cure some off the deer too. When I'm done curing I will set up the smoke house and smoke the meat with apple and hickory for three days and then I will pepper and dry it. The rest of the deer I will can with the exception of the loin, which I will freeze for chicken fry steak. Does any one else cure or preserve meat? How do you do it?

RobJohnson
11-24-2009, 02:18 AM
Tuesday, Nov 24
High: 58 °F RealFeel®: 53 °F
Breezy and cooler with clouds giving way to some sun.
It is supposed to start cooling down tonight and the rest of the week will be chilly.
We are still canning chili today. I'll let my wife finish with the chili I have to go run the dozer.
I have 50 pounds of beef curing and I will cure some off the deer too. When I'm done curing I will set up the smoke house and smoke the meat with apple and hickory for three days and then I will pepper and dry it. The rest of the deer I will can with the exception of the loin, which I will freeze for chicken fry steak. Does any one else cure or preserve meat? How do you do it?

I expect another nice day. Monday was very busy at work. That is why they call them Mondays. :)

I'm ready for my paid day off Thursday.

TOTD: Not really

Gingersnap
11-24-2009, 09:41 AM
We're warming up and the wind is dying down. It should be seasonal through Turkey Day so it looks great for the start of the ski season.

TOTD: I don't care for the texture of canned meat so I don't do it anymore. I do make a lot of jerky, dehydrated meat shavings, and some pemmican.

Mostly, I guess I freeze meat.

linda22003
11-24-2009, 11:14 AM
I do make a lot of jerky, dehydrated meat shavings, and some pemmican.

Your spelling is usually perfect, but isn't that "pelican"? :p

Gingersnap
11-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Your spelling is usually perfect, but isn't that "pelican"? :p

We're kind of short on giant white birds during the winter so I just make do with venison, fat, and cranberries. :p

linda22003
11-24-2009, 11:21 AM
I had heard the word before, but I did just look it up. I don't need to have lunch, any more. :(

Rockntractor
11-24-2009, 11:26 AM
We're kind of short on giant white birds during the winter so I just make do with venison, fat, and cranberries. :p

I have a really great stuffed pelican beak recipe if you want it. Homemade stuffing from scratch of course!:D

Gingersnap
11-24-2009, 11:28 AM
I had heard the word before, but I did just look it up. I don't need to have lunch, any more. :(

It's surprisingly good and easy to make these days (no pounding or grinding in a mortar). I like it when I go XC skiing - it's just the right snack. :)

lacarnut
11-24-2009, 11:41 AM
It is a sunny warm day at Orange Beach AL. Temp will get up to 70. Getting ready to head out to the beach.

RobJohnson
11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
I have a really great stuffed pelican beak recipe if you want it. Homemade stuffing from scratch of course!:D

Stuffed with dressing? :)