PDA

View Full Version : State of the Economy

dgtxpride
11-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Where do you guys think our economy stands at this point in time. Economists say that we have emerged from the recession but are things really better than they were before? It seems as though the worst of it came as a result of our own emotionality and not rock hard data. Aside from the optimistic attitude are we any better off today than last year at this time?

lacarnut
11-24-2009, 11:50 AM
The economy is in the dumps with high unemployment. Obama and his clowns will screw it up worse with more government spending and higher taxes. The possibility of of a W double dip recession still exists because of his wrong headed policies. Slow growth will be with us for years unless policies that stimulate business expansion exists. Unemployment will go up to 11 per cent and higher because of the uncertainity of new taxes imposed on business. So instead of hiring, they will put hiring on hold.

dgtxpride
11-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Have we had a W double dip recession in the past?

Molon Labe
11-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Where do you guys think our economy stands at this point in time. Economists say that we have emerged from the recession but are things really better than they were before? It seems as though the worst of it came as a result of our own emotionality and not rock hard data. Aside from the optimistic attitude are we any better off today than last year at this time?

Emotionality? This thread makes me LOL!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/24/news/companies/fdic_list/index.htm

Tell me what over 120 banks failing in 2009 means to you?

Oh...the answer to your question is Hell no.:p

linda22003
11-24-2009, 12:30 PM

Yes; in fact, the Depression of the 1930s was "w" shaped. This article may interest you.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125107325090852627.html

lacarnut
11-24-2009, 05:50 PM

A better question is do you have any opinions or are you writing a book?

dgtxpride
11-24-2009, 05:56 PM
I think we are hopelessly optimistic that any sort of quick recovery will take place as our previous success was created by waste and greed. I think that the current unemployment problem is a testament to that as we have learned of our inefficiencies and learned to do more with less hence the need for less employees. Until we forget what this recession has taught us we will not return to where we were.

dgtxpride
11-24-2009, 05:59 PM
I guess things are looking a little bit better according to the Nov. 14th numbers.
http://texasgopvote.com/blog/weekly-jobless-claims-report-11244

I'm just not sure as to how significant the improvements are.

Constitutionally Speaking
11-24-2009, 11:55 PM
All you had to do is read my posts on this!!!!! :mad:

;)

Average Voter
11-25-2009, 01:59 PM
If we have another bad Christmas for retailers, businesses will fold...they have no more reserves/credit after last year's bad Christmas season. When the businesses fold, the commercial real estate bubble will burst next year. This on top of high unemployment, higher taxes, Obamacare, VAT tax, CAP&tax, etc. I think we are in for a very long bumpy ride (3-5 years).

Then if a nuke goes up in Iran and oil hits $400/barrel it's time to break out the guns as society breaks down.

Molon Labe
11-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I think we are hopelessly optimistic that any sort of quick recovery will take place as our previous success was created by waste and greed. I think that the current unemployment problem is a testament to that as we have learned of our inefficiencies and learned to do more with less hence the need for less employees. Until we forget what this recession has taught us we will not return to where we were.

How about the U.S. manufacturing base. Think that has anything to do with it? How do you sustain economic prosperity when 3/4 of your economy is consumer driven?
How about asset bubbles and flimsy monetary policy? Think that has anything to do with it either? These are some of the things I've learned.

What specifically has the recession taught you?

lacarnut
11-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Look at the price of Gold which is approaching $1,200. Investors and other countries are not to pleased with the dropping value of the dollars that they are holding. With India buying gold and Sri Lanka buying some from the IMF today, the price of gold will keep going up. I am looking for China to start unloading some of those worthless or soon to be worthless dollars. Then the price will go up to 5 grand.

With the printing presses going full blast, Obummer and the Democraps do not know what the fuck they are doing. These idiots are going to raise taxes instead of lowering them.

AlmostThere
11-25-2009, 10:02 PM

Is this a trick question?

How about this:
http://www.chartingstocks.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ed-aj638a_laffe_ns_20090609175213.gif
Do you realize what happens when a money supply explodes like this? INFLATION that will make us long for the good old days of the Carter years.

The government admits to 10.2% unemployment. The real number is closer to 17%.

We have so much national debt , it can never be paid off. Today, we're paying 200 billion a year in interest servicing the debt. In the very near future it will cost about 800 billion a year just in interest. Not touching the principle, just the interest!! Over 3/4 of a trillion dollars a year just in interest! And what are our leaders doing to solve this? Why they're trying to add trillions more of new debt.

The dollar is dropping faster than Lewinsky in the Oval Office.

A half century ago, Khrushchev said the Soviets would bury us without firing a shot. He was obviously wrong. The Chinese could wipe out this country tomorrow without firing a shot and there is nothing we could do to stop it. They would just need to dump the hundreds of billions of dollars of U.S. Treasuries they hold making them totally worthless.

The economy? Why, it's just peachy.

ON EDIT
Do you realize that not to long ago the Chinese were lecturing the U.S. on our insane economic policies? What does that tell you about our economy?