PDA

View Full Version : Cig Smoke Voids Mac Warranty.

Gingersnap
11-25-2009, 11:11 AM
PSA: Smoking is so bad it voids your computer warranty
Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:27PM EST
See Comments (547)

Heads up, schmokers: Lighting up near your computer is heresy enough that Apple says it voids your warranty should you need to bring a smoke-exposed computer in for repair.

Specifically, in at least two instances in different parts of the country, Apple has voided the warranty and refused to provide repair service on Macintosh computers exposed to environments where cigarette smoke has been present. Calling cigarette smoke residue (tar and whatnot) inside a computer a health risk and a "biohazard," in both cases Apple customers have been denied service despite having time left on a valid warranty.

Apple is standing by the decisions, saying that repair centers have the authority to make decisions like this on their own, citing OSHA rules that include nicotine in a list of hazardous substances that could damage the health of someone exposed to it. (Consumerist, which digests the issue with its typical aplomb, adds that sucrose, talc, and calcium carbonate are all also on the OSHA hazardous materials list.)

Apple isn't formally commenting on the issue or responding to media requests for comment, namely regarding whether there's a threshold for cigarette smoke exposure beyond which a computer won't be serviced. Is one cigarette too much? 200? The answer is probably far less scientific than that: If a technician doesn't like cigarette smoke and your computer smells a bit smoky, it probably won't get serviced.

Yahoo Tech (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/156203)

patriot45
11-25-2009, 11:22 AM

Can I still spill coffee on the keyboard!? :D

Gingersnap
11-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Can I still spill coffee on the keyboard!? :D

As long a it's decaf. :p

lacarnut
11-25-2009, 11:58 AM
What's next. Car warranties. If the mechanic smells smoke, he can refuse to repar the car because of a hazard to his health. BS.

JB
11-25-2009, 08:27 PM
I wonder how fast the tech or Repair Center management would change their mind if I said "but I'm willing to pay cash".

Rockntractor
11-25-2009, 08:38 PM
I wonder if farts leave a residue?:confused:

patriot45
11-25-2009, 08:39 PM
I wonder if farts leave a residue?:confused:

Dude, they are called skid marks! :eek:

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2009, 08:41 PM

Dammit. Beat me to it. :mad::D

Rockntractor
11-25-2009, 08:41 PM

But what if your under britches don't catch all of it?:confused:

patriot45
11-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Dammit. Beat me to it. :mad::D

Hanging curveball man! :D

patriot45
11-25-2009, 08:42 PM

I'm nto sure? Wet fart maybe!

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Are farts supposed to be lumpy? :confused:

Rockntractor
11-25-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm nto sure? Wet fart maybe!

Just think what we have to breathe in public!:eek:

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2009, 08:44 PM
It is okay to ask the lumpy fart question here, right? I mean, it's a Tech Thread.

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Just think what we have to breathe in public!:eek:

Have you seen my Women Farting in the Pool thread?

Rockntractor
11-25-2009, 08:46 PM
It is okay to ask the lumpy fart question here, right? I mean, it's a Tech Thread.

I don't think that kind can be suspended in the air.

Rockntractor
11-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Have you seen my Women Farting in the Pool thread?

Those were water filtered. Much safer!

patriot45
11-25-2009, 08:50 PM

Wait what, this isn't a farting thread!?! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvMuVix0oCo

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2009, 08:50 PM
okay, say this three times fast:

One smart feller and he felt smart,
Two smart fellers and they both felt smart,
Three smart fellers and they all felt smart.

patriot45
11-25-2009, 08:52 PM
okay, say this three times fast:

One smart feller and he felt smart,
Two smart fellers and they both felt smart,
Three smart fellers and they all felt smart.

A fast devolving thread! Try this ;

I figure i'm nothing but a fig pluckers son and I'll pluck figs till all the pluckings done! :D

Rockntractor
11-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Wait what, this isn't a farting thread!?! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvMuVix0oCo
Air born particulate contamination thread. I would think farts would more than qualify!

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Farts like this might destroy a Mac, but a PC can handle it with no problems.

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2009, 08:56 PM
This is a lot of posts for a TECH thread. I'm sure Ginger will be pleased.

Gingersnap
11-25-2009, 08:58 PM

And I'm a chemist. Not a biochemist; those cheese-heads are worthless. Back to your question as far as I can understand it from your somewhat incoherent posts:

Yes, intestinal gases contain VOCs, as does fecal matter. While the VOCs in cig smoke residue are unpleasant, they have no magical powers to "infect" people. The VOCs in rear gas are also unpleasant but the "lumpy" residue you speak of is riddled with disease organisms just itching for an opportunity to cause anything from mild nausea through flesh-eating necrosis.

I hope this helps and it would void your warranty.

patriot45
11-25-2009, 09:02 PM
And I'm a chemist. Not a biochemist; those cheese-heads are worthless. Back to your question as far as I can understand it from your somewhat incoherent posts:

Yes, intestinal gases contain VOCs, as does fecal matter. While the VOCs in cig smoke residue are unpleasant, they have no magical powers to "infect" people. The VOCs in rear gas are also unpleasant but the "lumpy" residue you speak of is riddled with disease organisms just itching for an opportunity to cause anything from mild nausea through flesh-eating necrosis.

Whoa! Now thats Tech! :eek::D

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2009, 09:03 PM

Dang. Only somewhat incoherent. I was going for bull-moose looney. But it's early.

My warranty has probably run out anyway. :D

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Whoa! Now thats Tech! :eek::D

Sure is. Ginger is tech savvy.

She didn't even do a Back to the OP reference.

Rockntractor
11-25-2009, 09:06 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/sleepingdog.gif?t=1259201163

Rockntractor
11-25-2009, 09:39 PM

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/man-farting.gif?t=1259203104

Gingersnap
11-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Sure is. Ginger is tech savvy.

She didn't even do a Back to the OP reference.

You want to Mod this madness? You learn to roll with the punches. :D

RobJohnson
12-11-2009, 03:58 PM
It did not take long for this thread to turn into shit.

PoliCon
12-11-2009, 04:57 PM

admit it - you post nekkid. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
12-11-2009, 04:59 PM

AMAZING. Next thing they'll void your warranty if you're too fat. After all - fat fingers do tend to press harder on the keys . . . . :rolleyes:

Honestly - it sounds to me like either there are some eco-poosays at apple or they're just trying to avoid paying the warranty.

Rockntractor
12-11-2009, 06:47 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/one-advantage-to-whom-it-may-concer.jpg?t=1260575183

SarasotaRepub
12-11-2009, 09:15 PM
It did not take long for this thread to turn into shit.

LOL!!! You expected otherwise???:D

RobJohnson
12-12-2009, 11:34 AM
As for the damage from the smoke.....(back on topic, LOL)

I have loaned tvs, dvd players, a/c untis, etc to people that smoke..in just a short period of time they are trashed, I think the void on the warranty is justified. Some folks chain smoke in rooms with no ventalation and all that crap goes right inside the electronic unit, alot of times due to the cooling fan.

PoliCon
12-12-2009, 11:49 AM
As for the damage from the smoke.....(back on topic, LOL)

I have loaned tvs, dvd players, a/c untis, etc to people that smoke..in just a short period of time they are trashed, I think the void on the warranty is justified. Some folks chain smoke in rooms with no ventalation and all that crap goes right inside the electronic unit, alot of times due to the cooling fan.

SO should all the residents of LA have their warranty's voided because of the smog?

RobJohnson
12-12-2009, 11:53 AM
SO should all the residents of LA have their warranty's voided because of the smog?

Smog is not in your bedroom/home office like cig smoke is.

Seriously, have you ever looked inside a piece of equipment owned by a indoor smoker???

It's pretty nasty.

PoliCon
12-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Smog is not in your bedroom/home office like cig smoke is.

Seriously, have you ever looked inside a piece of equipment owned by a indoor smoker???

It's pretty nasty.

They're not making their case based on what it does to the computer - according to the article the case is based on it being a bio-hazard.

Bubba Dawg
12-12-2009, 12:24 PM

NOBODY HERE POSTS NEDDID!!!!:mad:

pulls up pants/