PDA

View Full Version : Long wait at the checkout

patriot45
11-25-2009, 07:15 PM
SO, I was getting groceries this afternoon and it took me 1/2 hour to shop and it took 20 minutes on the checkout and there was only one person in front of me!
I already had half my cart empty and the other open lines were filling up and someone got behind me, so when I realized there was a problem I was stuck.

The couple in front of me had a shitload of stuff, nothing extravagant but they were non english speaking Mexicans and were paying with, I ain't sure what they were but they looked like huge paychecks, they had about ten of them. The cashier would scrape 2 gallons of milk thru the scanner and have to call over a translator to tell them they could get 1 gallon and 1 half gallon! Okay. Then the linguist went and got the 1/2 gallon.

Next, boxes of cereal, the first box was cool. The next box was bad. Call back the translator and she runs to get an appropriate box of cereal! I'm kinda getting jittery, how long was this going to go on?
Well 20 friggin minutes! I guess it was some kind of assistance for non-Americans, they didn't speak a word of it between them and were laughing with the translator every time a oops came up!

If I was living in a foriegn country and was there long enuf to live off thier backs, I would hope to think I would learn the lingo! It just pissed me off.
Little bouncy rant over!

Gingersnap
11-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Your mistake was going within 3 miles of a grocery store on the day before Thanksgiving.

Pointless aside: I made that mistake once at about 9 p.m. the night before because I needed some whipping cream. A gal stopped me as I was breezing past the frozen turkey case and asked me if I knew anything about them. I indicated that I did and then she asked me long it would take an 18 pounder to defrost. :eek:

linda22003
11-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Damn, if there was ever a thread that should be in the "Whiny Zone"...

linda22003
11-25-2009, 07:43 PM
A gal stopped me as I was breezing past the frozen turkey case and asked me if I knew anything about them. I indicated that I did and then she asked me long it would take an 18 pounder to defrost. :eek:

So you told her to cook it on the "clean" setting, right?

Gingersnap
11-25-2009, 07:48 PM
So you told her to cook it on the "clean" setting, right?

No, I told her that she might be better off serving frozen but pre-fiddled-with turkey breast. I forget now what they're officially called but they only take an hour or two and they come in their own little pans with a fake gravy packet.

stsinner
11-25-2009, 07:52 PM
SO, I was getting groceries this afternoon and it took me 1/2 hour to shop and it took 20 minutes on the checkout and there was only one person in front of me!
I already had half my cart empty and the other open lines were filling up and someone got behind me, so when I realized there was a problem I was stuck.

The couple in front of me had a shitload of stuff, nothing extravagant but they were non english speaking Mexicans and were paying with, I ain't sure what they were but they looked like huge paychecks, they had about ten of them. The cashier would scrape 2 gallons of milk thru the scanner and have to call over a translator to tell them they could get 1 gallon and 1 half gallon! Okay. Then the linguist went and got the 1/2 gallon.

Next, boxes of cereal, the first box was cool. The next box was bad. Call back the translator and she runs to get an appropriate box of cereal! I'm kinda getting jittery, how long was this going to go on?
Well 20 friggin minutes! I guess it was some kind of assistance for non-Americans, they didn't speak a word of it between them and were laughing with the translator every time a oops came up!

If I was living in a foriegn country and was there long enuf to live off thier backs, I would hope to think I would learn the lingo! It just pissed me off.
Little bouncy rant over!

Welcome to the future. Try going to an emergency room, and you'll feel like you just stepped into Guatemala...

patriot45
11-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Welcome to the future. Try going to an emergency room, and you'll feel like you just stepped into Guatemala...

That was the main part of my little rant! They needed to call the translator over every time they rang up something! Just let her stay there to keep things moving!

I really wasn't whining, ranting yes! This is a farming town, lots of mexicans, but to not speak a word of english and be on whatever assistance that was was maddening!

JB
11-25-2009, 08:32 PM
That's awesome. :D

I would have loved to have been there and watch you stew.

They were probably Yankees fans.

patriot45
11-25-2009, 08:36 PM
That's awesome. :D

I would have loved to have been there and watch you stew.

They were probably Yankees fans.

Yeah a fat, pissed red neck Yankee with 9 lbs of mushrooms was just about ready to use my limited mexican!
You know, taco bell, burrito, salsa, chimichanga and marguirita!

I can speak some japanese too!

patriot45
11-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Damn, if there was ever a thread that should be in the "Whiny Zone"...

I want points for the - SO! Its a reverse bouncy!

SarasotaRepub
11-25-2009, 08:54 PM
You weren't packing were you?? If you were you showed admirable restraint. :D

asdf2231
11-25-2009, 08:58 PM
it was pretty light by us I guess. They had a bunch of registers open and the owner/manager was running the one I went through. Picked up a pound and a half of stuffed mushroom caps for dinner tonight. Mmmmm!

Rockntractor
11-25-2009, 09:16 PM
You weren't packing were you?? If you were you showed admirable restraint. :D

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/shooting_chimp_animated_avatar_100x.gif?t=12592017 52

patriot45
11-25-2009, 09:27 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/shooting_chimp_animated_avatar_100x.gif?t=12592017 52

Monkey! :D

You figplucker! :D

Rockntractor
11-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Monkey! :D

You figplucker! :D
That would make a good avatar!:D