PDA

View Full Version : Americans Toss Out 40 Percent of All Food

Gingersnap
11-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Americans Toss Out 40 Percent of All Food

livescience.com Thu Nov 26, 9:46 am ET
U.S. residents are wasting food like never before.

While many Americans feast on turkey and all the fixings today, a new study finds food waste per person has shot up 50 percent since 1974. Some 1,400 calories worth of food is discarded per person each day, which adds up to 150 trillion calories a year.

The study finds that about 40 percent of all the food produced in the United States is tossed out.

Meanwhile, while some have plenty of food to spare, a recent report by the Department of Agriculture finds the number of U.S. homes lacking "food security," meaning their eating habits were disrupted for lack of money, rose from 4.7 million in 2007 to 6.7 million last year.

About 1 billion people worldwide don't have enough to eat, according to the World Food Program.

Growing problem

The new estimate of food waste, published in the journal PLoS ONE, is a relatively straightforward calculation: It's the difference between the U.S. food supply and what's actually eaten, which was estimated by using a model of human metabolism and known body weights.

The result, from Kevin Hall and colleagues at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, is about 25 percent higher than similar estimates made in recent years.

Last year, an international group estimated that up to 30 percent of food - worth about $48.3 billion - is wasted each year in the United States. That report concluded that despite food shortages in many countries, plenty of food is available to feed the world, it just doesn't get where it needs to go.

Previous calculations were typically based on interviews with people and inspections of garbage, which Hall's team figures underestimates the waste.

Related problems

ScienceNOW, an online publication of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, reports that food waste occurs at the manufacturing level and in distribution, but more than half is wasted by consumers, according to a separate study earlier this year by Jeffery Sobal, a sociologist at Cornell University.

Meanwhile, Hall and colleagues say a related and growing problem, obesity, may be fueled by the increased availability of food in this country and the incessant marketing of it. All that extra food is bad for the environment, too.

This is interesting. Food produced for any end employs people. Americans eating less doesn't mean more for anybody else. I hate waste but not being wasteful here isn't going to enhance the planet on any level.

Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20091126/sc_livescience/americanstossout40percentofallfood)

Big Guy
11-27-2009, 11:23 PM
This is interesting. Food produced for any end employs people. Americans eating less doesn't mean more for anybody else. I hate waste but not being wasteful here isn't going to enhance the planet on any level.

Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20091126/sc_livescience/americanstossout40percentofallfood)

True, but it makes them FEEL GOOD.:D

Rockntractor
11-27-2009, 11:33 PM
There is NOTHING wasted at my house!

AmPat
11-28-2009, 12:46 AM
We need a Food Czar. We should employ a network of food sensors in each household. Pass legislation immediately to issue food ration stamps and then we weigh our rubbish. Anyone caught buying too much or tossing out too much gets a long prison sentence.:rolleyes:

NJCardFan
11-28-2009, 01:12 AM
My wife and I are horrible wasters. We'll buy produce and have to throw it away because we don't eat it. We work a crazy shift and don't cook all that often but we buy it anyway.

Speedy
11-28-2009, 01:54 AM
I am pretty much a waster also and you know what? I have yet to feel guilty about it for a second. When I toss a bunch of spoiled food into the trash not a single item that I am throwing out was the last item of that type on the grocery shelf or produce counter. Not a single person ever went hungry because of what I ate or threw out.

I am not one to feel sorry for starving Africans or what not. Their own governments are responsible for starving those people than anything I ate or threw out.

bijou
11-28-2009, 02:54 AM
The usual lefty/green suspects were complaining in the UK about similar figures here. However the majority of this 'wasted food' is thrown out by shops and supermarkets who aren't allowed to give it away because of all the 'health and safety' regulations championed by the same whiny left/green coalition.

stsinner
11-28-2009, 04:38 AM
Funny-we're throwing out 40% of what we buy, and the rest is still making us one of the fattest countries on Earth.. They're not exactly making it easy to eat healthy and avoid the hormone pumped meat... All this genetically enhanced food can't be good for us.

Constitutionally Speaking
11-28-2009, 07:10 AM
The usual lefty/green suspects were complaining in the UK about similar figures here. However the majority of this 'wasted food' is thrown out by shops and supermarkets who aren't allowed to give it away because of all the 'health and safety' regulations championed by the same whiny left/green coalition.

Yup.

linda22003
11-28-2009, 09:32 AM
We spend more than we should on small packages of salad greens, rather than buying heads of greens and preparing salads from "scratch" - but we waste none of it, and it used to get away from us. We use a lot of spinach and beet greens in salad; if it starts to go soft you can always cook it and eat it as a vegetable!

Jumpy
11-28-2009, 09:40 AM
That doesn't surprise me at all. I despise waste. A friend of mine will accept charity from food banks, yet what she wastes could feed her family twice.

We are the Country filled with obese food stampers.

AmPat
11-28-2009, 01:34 PM
That doesn't surprise me at all. I despise waste. A friend of mine will accept charity from food banks, yet what she wastes could feed her family twice.

We are the Country filled with obese food stampers.

W.I.C.= Women In Curlers:cool:(usually LARGE women).

NJCardFan
11-28-2009, 02:39 PM
I am pretty much a waster also and you know what? I have yet to feel guilty about it for a second. When I toss a bunch of spoiled food into the trash not a single item that I am throwing out was the last item of that type on the grocery shelf or produce counter. Not a single person ever went hungry because of what I ate or threw out.

I am not one to feel sorry for starving Africans or what not. Their own governments are responsible for starving those people than anything I ate or threw out.
I think Sam Kinison said it best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0q4o58pKwA&feature=related

AmPat
11-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I loive that skit. It's only funny because Sam nailed the truth. 30-40 years in the same countries at the time of this skit. It is now at least 10 years since he did this and lo and behold; "IT"S STILL SAND, NOTHING GROWS THERE!" ;)

Gingersnap
11-28-2009, 04:29 PM
My wife and I are horrible wasters. We'll buy produce and have to throw it away because we don't eat it. We work a crazy shift and don't cook all that often but we buy it anyway.

Buy Peak Fresh ( http://www.peakfreshusa.com/produce-bags/english-t.htm) produce bags. I'm not kidding - these things work like a magic spell.

MrsSmith
11-28-2009, 05:49 PM

I think you've nailed most of the waste. Places that used to be allowed to give away their extra must now discard it, either from overregulation, or fear of someone getting a stomachache and filing a lawsuit. It's not only healthcare that has been forced to waste/spend millions to guard against lawyers.

Sonnabend
11-28-2009, 08:03 PM
About 1 billion people worldwide don't have enough to eat, according to the World Food Program.

..and we have been handing them money, resources, food, seed, water, supplied for decades and they are STILL on the world welfare tit.

Not my fault some fourth world shithole is incapable of governing themselves competently..and a lot of these nations are MUSLIM...like I give a rats ass?

Name me ONE Muslim dominated nation that isnt a war zone and an economic basketcase.

he usual lefty/green suspects were complaining in the UK about similar figures here. However the majority of this 'wasted food' is thrown out by shops and supermarkets who aren't allowed to give it away because of all the 'health and safety' regulations championed by the same whiny left/green coalition.

BINGO

The local shops have to throw out bread that is past its 24 hr date but still edible..they have to put it in LOCKED containers. I saw TEN LOAVES fresh and usable and I couldnt get to them....asked the shop and they said they'd be prosecuted

Nanny nanny nanny state, nanny state .....nanny state....:mad::mad::mad:

Rockntractor
11-28-2009, 08:06 PM
..and we have been handing them money, resources, food, seed, water, supplied for decades and they are STILL on the world welfare tit.

Not my fault some fourth world shithole is incapable of governing themselves competently..and a lot of these nations are MUSLIM...like I give a rats ass?

Name me ONE Muslim dominated nation that isnt a war zone and an economic basketcase.

BINGO

The local shops have to throw out bread that is past its 24 hr date but still edible..they have to put it in LOCKED containers. I saw TEN LOAVES fresh and usable and I couldnt get to them....asked the shop and they said they'd be prosecuted

Nanny nanny nanny state, nanny state .....nanny state....:mad::mad::mad:

I hear you guys have a surplus of camel steaks at the moment!

Sonnabend
11-28-2009, 08:11 PM
I hear you guys have a surplus of camel steaks at the moment!

Actually roast pork :D:D:D:D

Rockntractor
11-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Actually roast pork :D:D:D:D

Camel is much healthier!

Big Guy
11-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Camel is much healthier!

MMMMMMMMM roast camel. :D

stsinner
11-28-2009, 08:44 PM

Dude, it's so much worse than that! When I was a teenager, I worked at McDonalds.. While on the line, I was in charge of monitoring the times on the sammiches.. They could only sit under the warmer for 20 minutes, and then they had to be thrown out.. Now, I grew up destitute-my mom's cigarettes came before my dinner, and if there wasn't money left over, i didn't eat.. So Every 20 minutes I'm trained to take all the sammiches in the warmer and throw them in the locked dumpster.. I queried, "Can I eat this hot McDLT?" The answer was no, and it had something to do with profits.. They had to show that the food was wasted in order to claim the loss on their business paperwork somewhere... We could have fed a whole city with the G-D sammiches we threw away every 20 minutes.. The homeless in my home city of Indianapolis would have feasted like kings on the 20-minute old hamburger that McDonalds and the government condemned to a landfill after rotting... It's bad...

Gingersnap
11-28-2009, 09:55 PM
While it's true that regulation causes waste, I think that the article is talking about household waste. People are wasteful. They don't know how to plan ahead for leftovers and they feel resentful taking a sack lunch. There are a lot of people who really feel that eating the same thing twice in a row is somehow boring.

When you expect your food to entertain you at every meal, you're probably kind of wasteful.

RobJohnson
11-29-2009, 02:22 AM
There is NOTHING wasted at my house!

You shouldn't talk about your wife like that! :D

MrsSmith
11-29-2009, 02:30 PM
While it's true that regulation causes waste, I think that the article is talking about household waste. People are wasteful. They don't know how to plan ahead for leftovers and they feel resentful taking a sack lunch. There are a lot of people who really feel that eating the same thing twice in a row is somehow boring.

When you expect your food to entertain you at every meal, you're probably kind of wasteful.

Possibly, but it looks more like overall waste...

ScienceDaily (Nov. 25, 2009) Food waste contributes to excess consumption of freshwater and fossil fuels which, along with methane and carbon dioxide emissions from decomposing food, impacts global climate change. In a new paper published in the open-access, peer-reviewed journal PLoS One, Kevin Hall and colleagues at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases calculate the energy content of nationwide food waste from the difference between the US food supply and the food eaten by the population. The latter was estimated using a validated mathematical model of human metabolism relating body weight to the amount of food eaten.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091124204314.htm

I'm not sure how accurate it would be, either.