PDA

View Full Version : Wishing Happy Christmas 'Could Be An Obscenity' Warns Anglican Bishop

megimoo
11-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Wishing Happy Christmas 'Could Be An Obscenity' Warns Bishop [Time For Anglicans To Quit]

Wishing people a Happy Christmas could be seen as an "insult" or even an "obscenity" as not everyone is in a position to celebrate, a bishop has warned.

The Right Reverend Humphrey Southern, the Bishop of Repton, said it was a "hollow" greeting to make to those who were suffering.

People should not "simply make a cocoon of happiness for ourselves and our loved ones" at Christmas, he said.

Writing in the monthly Derby diocese newsletter, he said: "This is the 'Happy Christmas' month. Yet to many that greeting will be hollow, coming as an insult, or even an obscenity."

The bishop, 49, went on to ask: "What can 'Happy Christmas' mean in a family whose father has been killed in a military operation in Afghanistan that fewer and fewer people understand (still less support)?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6671075/Wishing-Happy-Christmas-could-be-an-obscenity-warns-bishop.html

NJCardFan
11-28-2009, 01:10 AM
Fuck him and all of his own.

lacarnut
11-28-2009, 01:39 AM
Fuck him and all of his own.

Yep, the pissant does not sound very Reverend to me.

Speedy
11-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Fuck him and everyone who looks like him. Pretty soon it is going to be, "Don't be happy because it makes sad people feel that much more miserable."

Big Guy
11-28-2009, 11:36 AM
I guess the Anglicans have forgotten what Christmas is about. Christmas to them, it seems, is about presents and a big meal.

In my family we celebrate the Birth of Christ our saviour.

We do exchange gifts but we do not get extravigant.

For that reason we always have a merry Christmas especially when we lose the ones we love.

I wish everyone a Happy Christmas, however you decide to celebrate. :)

Gingersnap
11-28-2009, 11:47 AM
He's a tool.

What does "how are you?" mean? Is it a sincere invitation to disclose your actual mental/emotional state to any mildly courteous person you meet? How about "good day"? What if you aren't having a good day? Do you get to set the speaker straight on your wretched experience?

People like this don't understand where their good intentions go. The world would be a miserable place if we all constantly spoke the bald truth to every acquaintance.

FlaGator
11-28-2009, 11:50 AM
He is a tool but all Anglicans don't feel the way he does. I'm and Anglican and I believe that Ginger is as well. Don't paint the lot of us with a brush that was given to you by one man with one point of view.

Gingersnap
11-28-2009, 12:28 PM
He is a tool but all Anglicans don't feel the way he does. I'm and Anglican and I believe that Ginger is as well. Don't paint the lot of us with a brush that was given to you by one man with one point of view.

To true. That guy is the feeble voice of a withering branch of the real Communion. :cool:

FlaGator
11-28-2009, 12:43 PM
To true. That guy is the feeble voice of a withering branch of the real Communion. :cool:

As you know some of us are hanging on to the truth regardless of what the revisionists (modern from of heretic) want.

Gingersnap
11-28-2009, 12:50 PM
As you know some of us are hanging on to the truth regardless of what the revisionists (modern from of heretic) want.

And I applaud you. ;)