PDA

View Full Version : Why The Left Hate Christmas

NJCardFan
11-29-2009, 01:08 PM
You know, something has bothered me these past few years and that's why do liberals hate Christmas so much? So, in my puny little brain I started to put together a few items on what Christmas means to me and equate this as to why liberals hate Christmas so here it goes:

Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ. That there is reason #1 why liberals hate Christmas because they hate Christians in general so hating on the birth of the Christian messiah isn't much of a stretch.

This brings us to the spirit of Christmas. When I was growing up, people always tended to be a little nicer to each other at this time of year. Peace on earth and good will toward men and all that, right? Well, as we all know, liberals are miserable little people and they simply cannot stand the thought of people actually being nice to each other because of a stupid holiday? So, with all of their might they try to make the rest of us as miserable as they are.

Christmas is also a festive time of year. Well, this goes along with the above where misery is all these people know.

However, Christmas has become a commercialized holiday. This means big business to places like Wal-Mart, the Great Satan to the liberals. It also, at least to them, signifies greed because we're all out spending money like idiots contributing to corporate greed when we could be helping others. True to a degree. but what also happens during this shopping season? That's right, charities boom as well and 2 of the biggest charities are the Salvation Army and Toys for Tots which is sponsored by the Marines. Well, this is both a religious organization and the military and the left simply cannot have that.

So, there you have it. My hypothesis as to why liberals and leftists hate Christmas. Am I wrong?

JackKetch
11-29-2009, 01:21 PM
i think you're correct. so many liberals these days are atheists, agnostics, pagans, wiccans, etc., and very anti-Christian. they will admit that Jesus said some good things but insist that all of his followers are bigots who don't follow His teachings, can't seem to get the difference between people being imperfect and people being evil.

if you lurk at DU, you'll see that posters are allowed to say disgusting things about Christians and even about Jesus and God but any post that is at all critical of islam or judaism will be deleted. this is true at other liberal sites, too. yet which religion is really a danger to them?

they also ignore all the good that's been done by Christians and go off on tangents about the crusades, etc. i guess the bottom line is that their grasp of history is pretty weak.

Bubba Dawg
11-29-2009, 03:42 PM
I think that many on the Left have a secret fear that someone, somewhere, may be having a good time.

wilbur
11-29-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't think "the left" hates Christmas, at all, and its rather simpleminded to think so.

djones520
11-29-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't think "the left" hates Christmas, at all, and its rather simpleminded to think so.

Maybe not the left as a whole, but you have to admit there is a faction out there doing whatever they can to strip it from the public eye.

MrsSmith
11-29-2009, 07:44 PM

Nah,they don't hate Christmas...any more than any other Christian anything. :rolleyes: If we'd just leave out all that nativity stuff, and Christ stuff, and religious stuff, and so on...they'd love it as much as, oh, Halloween, maybe. :D

Bubba Dawg
11-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Nah,they don't hate Christmas...any more than any other Christian anything. :rolleyes: If we'd just leave out all that nativity stuff, and Christ stuff, and religious stuff, and so on...they'd love it as much as, oh, Halloween, maybe. :D

That was funny. I didn't know you could be funny. :p:D

wilbur
11-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Maybe not the left as a whole, but you have to admit there is a faction out there doing whatever they can to strip it from the public eye.

Sure, there are a few handfuls of wacky people out there, railing against this or that... but who cares? A few anecdotes does not a movement make. The few inevitable but overblown, anecdotal incidents aside, there is no "war on Christmas". Its a phantom.

And I would wager, most on the left, love X-mas as much as the rest of us.

wilbur
11-29-2009, 09:01 PM

People like you tend to see any holiday sentiment expressed by other subcultures in a non-Christian way, as an assault... but to call such things assaults, is absurd.

Or you'll say that the requests of a few, for less double standards in regards to the types of religious holiday displays allowed on public lands or payed for by public funds, is an all out war, with nothing short of total Christian oppression as its endgame.

Or you'll latch on to one or two anecdotes, perhaps one even of a true example of anti-Christian-ism and anti-Christmas-ism, and shout "global left wing conspiracy!", but all of this is simply ridiculous.

I have yet to meet a single person in my real life travels, who hates Christmas. Sure, some get annoyed at their duty to shop... but other than that, people love the hell out of it... even "the left".

When is the "war on Christmas" crowd going to realize that wars arent really in the spirit of the season... even imaginary ones?

Big Guy
11-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Sure, there are a few handfuls of wacky people out there, railing against this or that... but who cares? A few anecdotes does not a movement make. The few inevitable but overblown, anecdotal incidents aside, there is no "war on Christmas". Its a phantom.

And I would wager, most on the left, love X-mas as much as the rest of us.

X-mas is only observed by those who take Christ out of it. Mostly Liberals.

wilbur
11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
X-mas is only observed by those who take Christ out of it. Mostly Liberals.

Or its just a convenient short hand for Christmas...

Big Guy
11-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Or its just a convenient short hand for Christmas...

No, I don't think so. I think it is a convienient way to take Christ out of Chritsmas.

wilbur
11-29-2009, 09:33 PM
No, I don't think so. I think it is a convienient way to take Christ out of Chritsmas.

Nope - its an abbreviation that has existed for centuries, and actually originated from Christians.

Big Guy
11-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Nope - its an abbreviation that has existed for centuries, and actually originated from Christians.

So, what you are saying is that the war on Christmas is centuries old and that Christians started it? :confused:

wilbur
11-29-2009, 09:52 PM
So, what you are saying is that the war on Christmas is centuries old and that Christians started it? :confused:

What?! No, I'm saying, in no obscure or uncertain terms, that the "war on Xmas" is imaginary... it doesnt exist, at least not in any significant way.

And I'm also saying, that the abbreviation Xmas (or X-mas) has its roots as a Xtian abbreviation. It's literally centuries old, and was invented and used by Xtians. Seriously, look it up.

It never was, nor ever has been, a "way to take Christ out of Christmas".

Big Guy
11-29-2009, 10:05 PM
What?! No, I'm saying, in no obscure or uncertain terms, that the "war on Xmas" is imaginary... it doesnt exist, at least not in any significant way.

And I'm also saying, that the abbreviation Xmas (or X-mas) has its roots as a Xtian abbreviation. It's literally centuries old, and was invented and used by Xtians. Seriously, look it up.

It never was, nor ever has been, a "way to take Christ out of Christmas".

Let me get this straight, the war on Christmas was started by the Xtian's centurys ago, next I guess you will tell me the Xtians are from the planet Xtia.

Lets compare;

Christ-mas
X-mas

Yep, Christ was removed in the second version.

wilbur
11-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Let me get this straight, the war on Christmas was started by the Xtian's centurys ago,

Take a shot at reading my posts before you reply.

next I guess you will tell me the Xtians are from the planet Xtia.

Lets compare;

Christ-mas
X-mas

Yep, Christ was removed in the second version.

No, seriously, look it up. You will find the claim that "Xmas" as a common usage, centuries old, Christian abbreviation for "Christmas" corroborrated by every reputable source you find.

http://www.thehistoryofchristmas.com/trivia/xmas.htm

Xmas is an abbreviation for Christmas. It is derived from the word ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ, transliterated as Christos, which is Greek for Christ. Greek is the language in which the whole New Testament was written.

Originally, Xmas was an abbreviation where the X represents the Greek letter chi, which is the first letter of Christ's name. However, because of the modern interpretations of the letter X, many people are unaware of this and assume that this abbreviation is meant to drop Christ from Christmas.

Rockntractor
11-29-2009, 10:27 PM

No, seriously, look it up. You will find the claim that "Xmas" as a common usage, Christian abbreviation for "Christmas" corroborrated by every reputable source you find.

Xmas is an abbreviation for Christmas. It is derived from the word ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ, transliterated as Christos, which is Greek for Christ. Greek is the language in which the whole New Testament was written.

Originally, Xmas was an abbreviation where the X represents the Greek letter chi, which is the first letter of Christ's name. However, because of the modern interpretations of the letter X, many people are unaware of this and assume that this abbreviation is meant to drop Christ from Christmas.
Wilbur is right, now I must go kill myself!:eek:

NJCardFan
11-29-2009, 10:43 PM
No war on Christmas, eh:

Leesburg Gets Scrooged (http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Leesburg-Gets-Scrooged-75011862.html)

Music Teacher Rewriting Christmas Songs (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105451,00.html)

Taking Christ Out Of Christmas (http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/news-and-opinion/cover-story/taking_the_christ_out_of_christmas-38463404.html)

Christmas Lights Not Politically Correct (http://www.viploan.co.uk/article/Politics-1575.shtml)

Need I go on?

Big Guy
11-29-2009, 10:57 PM

No, seriously, look it up. You will find the claim that "Xmas" as a common usage, centuries old, Christian abbreviation for "Christmas" corroborrated by every reputable source you find.

For the sake of argument, I agree that centuries ago the letter X was used in Greek writings. If we were writing in Greek, I would concede.

This information is not widly known by the average person my self included, and I thank you for the lesson.

We write in english and the correct way of spelling Christmas is C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S, thus leaving Christ in christmas.

wilbur
11-29-2009, 11:01 PM
No war on Christmas, eh:

Leesburg Gets Scrooged (http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Leesburg-Gets-Scrooged-75011862.html)

Music Teacher Rewriting Christmas Songs (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105451,00.html)

Taking Christ Out Of Christmas (http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/news-and-opinion/cover-story/taking_the_christ_out_of_christmas-38463404.html)

Christmas Lights Not Politically Correct (http://www.viploan.co.uk/article/Politics-1575.shtml)

Need I go on?

Do you mean, go on with more cherry picked anecdotes? No, that is not how you build a case, or make an argument.

And in either case, on the surface, your choosen examples seem very poor illustrations.

Shannon
11-29-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm a little surprised that some people don't know the history of the term X-mas. Interesting.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-30-2009, 01:52 AM
I'm a liberal and I love Christmas. I'm not too religious, was raised Catholic though, and even if Christmas wasn't Jesus' real birthday, it still is a very special, very magical time of the year; It's a perfect time to review what you've done throughout the year, good and bad, a time to reflect on the past and hope for the future, alongside your family.

To me, it's one of the best times of the year, despite the cold weather (and I hate winter!).

linda22003
11-30-2009, 08:05 AM

This weekend we watched a compilation of some of Edward R. Murrow's "See It Now" shows done for CBS in the 1950s. In 1952, Murrow visited American soldiers in Korea. They had "Merry Xmas" in big letters strung along the perimeter of their base. That was awful of those American soldiers, removing Christ from Christmas, wasn't it? :cool::rolleyes:

FlaGator
11-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Do you mean, go on with more cherry picked anecdotes? No, that is not how you build a case, or make an argument.

And in either case, on the surface, your choosen examples seem very poor illustrations.

How was that cherry picking? He found some evidence from the host of evidence available and posted it for you and you call it cherry picking. What was he supposed to do, post every example available?

The "war" against Christmas does seem to be about removing references to Christ from Christmas. The original point of this celebration was for Christians to honor the birth of Christ. It grew and until it is what we have now, a celebration of capitalism under the guise of loving one another. The true meaning is there but it is being educated and re-educated out of society. In short it became such a cool holiday that that non-Christians wanted to participate but felt uncomfortable doing so because of the ties that Christmas has to Christianity. The first step was to broaden the meaning of Christmas, then to muddy the waters as to its original intent then to remove references to its orginal intent which is to honor the arrival of our Lord and Savior.

noonwitch
11-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Every year, conservatives cry about some alleged war on Christmas being waged by liberals. It's an excuse to feel victimized, when there is no victimization going on. Can you still put a manger scene in your front yard? Sing Christmas hymns in church and in your home? Are they still decorating the malls and piping in the Christmas music in all public places other than the public schools? If the salesperson at Target tells you Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, it just might be due to something that has no connection whatsoever with depriving you of your Christmas joy.

There are always cranks and scrooges, and some of them get a few people in power in some places to listen to them. In metro Detroit, there is one suburb that has been pressured to do away with a manger scene on public property (Berkely). In my suburb, there's a manger scene placed usually in the middle of Mound RD by the catholic church, and there is usually one somewhere on the city hall grounds. Nobody ever complains, or, if they do, the city of Warren ignores the complaints, because they keep having the displays every year.

Gingersnap
11-30-2009, 10:02 AM

It is indeed an old, widely used abbreviation. "Xtian", however, is not and it widely recognized as pejorative by Christians using the Internet.

The general removal of Christmas symbols and traditions from the public square is a misapplication of the 'separation of church and state' idea (a concept that has no constitutional basis, anyway). What it amounts to in reality is the classic liberal desire to manufacture equality through subtraction.

The idea is that removing the dominant cultural meme will allow room for various non-dominant expressions to flower. This is wishful thinking since supporters of the ousted tradition simply demand equal application of the laws or standards which is why we end up with pointless "Winter Festivals".

FlaGator
11-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Every year, conservatives cry about some alleged war on Christmas being waged by liberals. It's an excuse to feel victimized, when there is no victimization going on. Can you still put a manger scene in your front yard? Sing Christmas hymns in church and in your home? Are they still decorating the malls and piping in the Christmas music in all public places other than the public schools? If the salesperson at Target tells you Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, it just might be due to something that has no connection whatsoever with depriving you of your Christmas joy.

There are always cranks and scrooges, and some of them get a few people in power in some places to listen to them. In metro Detroit, there is one suburb that has been pressured to do away with a manger scene on public property (Berkely). In my suburb, there's a manger scene placed usually in the middle of Mound RD by the catholic church, and there is usually one somewhere on the city hall grounds. Nobody ever complains, or, if they do, the city of Warren ignores the complaints, because they keep having the displays every year.

Its not really a war (at least I don't think of it as a war), it is more of an attempt to redefine Christmas as something secular. One side wants to keep it's Christian foundation and the other side want to eliminate it. Whether this is a conscience effort or not remains to be seen.

linda22003
11-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Its not really a war (at least I don't think of it as a war), it is more of an attempt to redefine Christmas as something secular. One side wants to keep it's Christian foundation and the other side want to eliminate it. Whether this is a conscience effort or not remains to be seen.

We have friends who like a tree and packages under it for its own sake, and we have friends who are devout about Advent and Christmas. Everyone gets along just fine observing it in their own way. This is no reason to declare a massive Culture Conflict. :cool:

Rockntractor
11-30-2009, 10:35 AM
We have friends who like a tree and packages under it for its own sake, and we have friends who are devout about Advent and Christmas. Everyone gets along just fine observing it in their own way. This is no reason to declare a massive Culture Conflict. :cool:

I am having to agree with Linda numbers and Wilbur in the same thread?:confused::eek:

Lager
11-30-2009, 10:38 AM
I think the most effective attack on Christmas has come from the pop culture and media who have managed to convince quite a few people that Christmas is all about massive consumption, overspending, frantic shopping and the accumulation and trading of cheap consumer goods. This concept seems to have been accepted by quite a bit of the population, without any liberal laws enacted or any other elements of force applied. One need only look at the recent "Black Friday", to see proof.

linda22003
11-30-2009, 11:01 AM
I am having to agree with Linda numbers and Wilbur in the same thread?:confused::eek:

If you feel the need to lie down for awhile with a cool washcloth over your eyes, I completely understand.

noonwitch
11-30-2009, 11:07 AM

But that has been a battle ever since the whole Santa Claus bringing gifts tradition started. Almost all of the children's television specials and movies are about Santa bringing presents, or Santa not wanting to bring presents because either the weather is bad, or he is just bumming that no one appreciates him anymore. Peanuts has the only Christmas special that both addresses the superficial aspects that taint the holiday and pushes for the deeper, christian story underneath.

There is always going to be the business side of things that is totally about making money off of Christmas. They know how to suck kids and others into it. That's why Toys R Us opened at Midnight on Black Friday.

I don't think it's a liberals vs conservatives thing, though, except maybe in the public school arguments about Christmas concerts/Winter concerts. There is always going to be a battle between the Santa Claus bringing me presents part of the holiday vs Jesus' nativity. My parents always settled it by making Christmas Eve about going to church and Jesus, and Christmas morning about opening presents. At least by making the Jesus part come first, they made sure He didn't get forgotten.

wilbur
11-30-2009, 11:26 AM
How was that cherry picking? He found some evidence from the host of evidence available and posted it for you and you call it cherry picking. What was he supposed to do, post every example available?

Some kind of evidence, mabye... but not good evidence. This is called confirmation bias. How many nativity scenes, and Christmas decorations are placed on public property every year, with absolutely no challenges raised by anybody? Does the media ever write stories about it, when it happens? I can say, in my own life experience, it happens all the time in every single place I have lived. So no... a few anecdotes are hardly convincing.

Even in one of the linked articles, was a frothing rant that a few atheists had the nerve to put up their own tree on government property, next to the Christian decorations, which remained there without problem. How that translates to hating Christmas is beyond me.

The "war" against Christmas does seem to be about removing references to Christ from Christmas. The original point of this celebration was for Christians to honor the birth of Christ. It grew and until it is what we have now, a celebration of capitalism under the guise of loving one another. The true meaning is there but it is being educated and re-educated out of society. In short it became such a cool holiday that that non-Christians wanted to participate but felt uncomfortable doing so because of the ties that Christmas has to Christianity. The first step was to broaden the meaning of Christmas, then to muddy the waters as to its original intent then to remove references to its orginal intent which is to honor the arrival of our Lord and Savior.

There are certainly some who work to purge specific religious symbolism from government sponsored holiday decorations or festivities, and that is a good thing. But considering the OP, and the general tone of the "war on Christmas" crowd, this is nothing like "hating Chistmas", or Christianity, or trying to purge "Christ from Christmas" all together.

Christmas is a holiday whose roots and traditions are actually pretty fascinating and vary wildly throughout history. It certainly isnt this steadfast institution imbued with immutable traditions, as many so often speak of it (its a little like marriage in that respect). Christmas, as we know it, hasnt been around that long - so I don't see that it makes sense to view its continued evolution as some form of cultural oppression or war (much less hate). Its how things have worked for a few thousand years.

FlaGator
11-30-2009, 11:26 AM
But that has been a battle ever since the whole Santa Claus bringing gifts tradition started. Almost all of the children's television specials and movies are about Santa bringing presents, or Santa not wanting to bring presents because either the weather is bad, or he is just bumming that no one appreciates him anymore. Peanuts has the only Christmas special that both addresses the superficial aspects that taint the holiday and pushes for the deeper, christian story underneath.

There is always going to be the business side of things that is totally about making money off of Christmas. They know how to suck kids and others into it. That's why Toys R Us opened at Midnight on Black Friday.

I don't think it's a liberals vs conservatives thing, though, except maybe in the public school arguments about Christmas concerts/Winter concerts. There is always going to be a battle between the Santa Claus bringing me presents part of the holiday vs Jesus' nativity. My parents always settled it by making Christmas Eve about going to church and Jesus, and Christmas morning about opening presents. At least by making the Jesus part come first, they made sure He didn't get forgotten.

You may be right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khiU9ajCLqo

linda22003
11-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Peanuts has the only Christmas special that both addresses the superficial aspects that taint the holiday and pushes for the deeper, christian story underneath.

And it was made a long time ago - I was ten years old when it came out!

MrsSmith
11-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Thank goodness there really isn't any war on the real meaning of Christmas!! Whew!!

:rolleyes:

LINK (http://www.thomasmore.org/qry/page.taf?id=16&_function=search&_nc=36d99ffc33ef553bebf76c05a29bdcd0)

You searched for "nativity". There were 50 results found.

Number Title
1 Dec 31, 2006: 2006 Archives II - July-December
2 Dec 31, 2004: 2004 Archives
3 Dec 31, 2005: 2005 Archives II - July-December
4 Dec 31, 2003: 2003 Archives
5 Battle of the 2009 Christmas Season over Nativity ; Federal Lawsuit Filed
6 Battle of the 2009 Christmas Season over Nativity ; Federal Lawsuit Filed
7 Your Help Needed to “Keep Christ in Christmas;” Help Us Keep the Nativity
8 Satawa Complaint
9 Satawa Complaint
10 Oct 26, 2009: First Battle of the 2009 Christmas Season over Nativity Displays; Federal Lawsuit Filed
11 Oct 29, 2009: Mich. Man Files Lawsuit after Nativity Scene Nixed
12 Oct 08, 2007: Christmas War Underway - Nativity Battle Rages In Berkley, Michigan
13 Jun 25, 2007: TMLC Atty Addresses NY Press Conference: End Public School Discrimination Against Nativity Displays
14 Jun 20, 2007: TMLC Attorney to Address New York Press Conference On New School Policy Regarding Nativity Scenes
15 Nov 04, 2009: Your Help Needed to "Keep Christ in Christmas;" Help Us Keep the 63 Year-old Nativity on Display
16 Oct 01, 2007: TMLC in the News - October 2007
17 Battle for Bayside Nativity Won; War on Christmas Will Continue for Years
18 Oct 01, 2009: TMLC In The News - October 2009
19 TMLC in the News
20 Christmas Wars On: TMLC Asks Christians to Retake the Public Square
21 Dec 20, 2007: Battle for Bayside Nativity Won; War on Christmas Will Continue for Years
22 Nov 25, 2008: Christmas Wars On: Thomas More Law Center Asks Christians to Retake the Public Square for Christmas
23 2008 Christmas Memo to TMLC Pro-Bono Attorneys
24 Richard Thompson on the Catholic Connection
25 Richard Thompson on the Catholic Connection
26 2008 Christmas Memo to TMLC Pro-Bono Attorneys
27 Jun 30, 2006: 2006 Archives I - January-June
28 Oct 26, 2009: 1st Battle of the 2009 Christmas Season over Nativity; Federal Lawsuit Filed
29 Oct 30, 2007: Christmas Wars Are On!
30 Feb 21, 2007: High Court Allows Anti-Christian School Holiday Policy to Stand
31 Jan 16, 2009: NYC City Council Takes Up Issue of Discrimination Against Christians in City's Public Schools
32 Nov 01, 2007: TMLC in the News - November 2007
33 NYC City Council Takes Up Issue of Discrimination Against Christians
34 Memorandum to Allied Attorneys Regarding Christmas Celebrations, etc.
35 Defending the Religious Freedom of Christians
36 Dec 31, 2002: 2002 Archives
etc, etc.

The attorneys at the Thomas Moore Law Center will surely be happy to turn their attention elsewhere.

Rockntractor
11-30-2009, 07:05 PM
And it was made a long time ago - I was ten years old when it came out!

54? I thought you were at least 60!:confused:

Goldwater
11-30-2009, 07:06 PM

This is true, but I'm not sure it is the left or not. There are people that look to get offended these days, I don't believe these people have political leanings as a whole.

Big Guy
11-30-2009, 08:05 PM
This weekend we watched a compilation of some of Edward R. Murrow's "See It Now" shows done for CBS in the 1950s. In 1952, Murrow visited American soldiers in Korea. They had "Merry Xmas" in big letters strung along the perimeter of their base. That was awful of those American soldiers, removing Christ from Christmas, wasn't it? :cool::rolleyes:

No, they were just low on supplies, remember it was a U.N. run war.

linda22003
12-01-2009, 08:34 AM
54? I thought you were at least 60!:confused:

No wonder you picture me as Evelyn Harper. I recall saying that she'd be my goal 10 or 15 years from now. :)

movie buff
12-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I have yet to meet a single person in my real life travels, who hates Christmas. Sure, some get annoyed at their duty to shop... but other than that, people love the hell out of it... even "the left".

1. There have been countless DU threads dedicated to the DUmmies whining about how much they hate Christmas, often for the reasons the OP here listed.
2. If you're talking about people we've personally met, my 23- year- old Atheist younger brother also hates Christmas. A year or two ago on Christmas, I was driving my brother to meet with some friends. Along the way, we drove by a cutout of Santa Claus, and he mimed doing a drive- by shooting at it. I asked why he did that, and he said he really didn't like Christmas, then went into this anti- Christmas screed which he appeared to have borrowed from an episode of 'The Boondocks' (Has that asinine show been cancelled yet?).

Going back to the OP, I'd like to add something I pointed out in another thread here last year that examined an anti- Christmas DU post:
Although ultra- liberals do tend to hate Christmas the most, it's not just Christmas that they hate. It's most of the holidays. The only holidays the DUmmies (Or radical ultra liberals in general) don't despise for one idiotic reason or another are as follows:
1. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Through their efforts, that day has long since degenerated from a celebration of all the good that man did in his life to promote racial harmony, into an excuse for radical black liberals to spew racial hatred against whites, and for white liberals to express their profound guilt over the color of their own skin.
2. Earth Day. Through their efforts, that day has long since degenerated from a day devoted to spreading general awareness about the environment and perhaps engaging in some eco- friendly activities like cleaning up litter in the park or whatever, into an excuse for dirty hippies to use microphones to howl incoherent poetry about the Earth and the evils of humanity, and listening to long- winded speeches about how global warming will kill us all unless we all bury our cars, become vegans, and live like the Flintstones.
3. St. Patrick's Day. During its early years, they would have hated it for its religious connotations, but it has since become even more secularized than Christmas. Nowadays, it is much less about celebrating Patrick's amazing, godly life than about having an excuse to drink until you pass out, something the far left, especially the DUmmies, are always up for.
4. May Day. This is a favorite holiday for the meth- addled Anarchists aged 28 and younger, as it gives them the opportunity to engage in what they euphemistically call "A series of autonomous direct actions utilizing a diversity of tactics to promote social justice and raise awareness of the plight of the oppressed workers," but which rational, sane people refer to as "Vandalism, violence, looting, and rioting".

noonwitch
12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
1. There have been countless DU threads dedicated to the DUmmies whining about how much they hate Christmas, often for the reasons the OP here listed.
2. If you're talking about people we've personally met, my 23- year- old Atheist younger brother also hates Christmas. A year or two ago on Christmas, I was driving my brother to meet with some friends. Along the way, we drove by a cutout of Santa Claus, and he mimed doing a drive- by shooting at it. I asked why he did that, and he said he really didn't like Christmas, then went into this anti- Christmas screed which he appeared to have borrowed from an episode of 'The Boondocks' (Has that asinine show been cancelled yet?).

Going back to the OP, I'd like to add something I pointed out in another thread here last year that examined an anti- Christmas DU post:
Although ultra- liberals do tend to hate Christmas the most, it's not just Christmas that they hate. It's most of the holidays. The only holidays the DUmmies (Or radical ultra liberals in general) don't despise for one idiotic reason or another are as follows:
1. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Through their efforts, that day has long since degenerated from a celebration of all the good that man did in his life to promote racial harmony, into an excuse for radical black liberals to spew racial hatred against whites, and for white liberals to express their profound guilt over the color of their own skin.
2. Earth Day. Through their efforts, that day has long since degenerated from a day devoted to spreading general awareness about the environment and perhaps engaging in some eco- friendly activities like cleaning up litter in the park or whatever, into an excuse for dirty hippies to use microphones to howl incoherent poetry about the Earth and the evils of humanity, and listening to long- winded speeches about how global warming will kill us all unless we all bury our cars, become vegans, and live like the Flintstones.
3. St. Patrick's Day. During its early years, they would have hated it for its religious connotations, but it has since become even more secularized than Christmas. Nowadays, it is much less about celebrating Patrick's amazing, godly life than about having an excuse to drink until you pass out, something the far left, especially the DUmmies, are always up for.
4. May Day. This is a favorite holiday for the meth- addled Anarchists aged 28 and younger, as it gives them the opportunity to engage in what they euphemistically call "A series of autonomous direct actions utilizing a diversity of tactics to promote social justice and raise awareness of the plight of the oppressed workers," but which rational, sane people refer to as "Vandalism, violence, looting, and rioting".

Liberals love Christmas, at least all who are in unions. It's two days off work with pay! Followed a week later by two more days off with pay! We just wish we'd get the same for Hannakah!