3. Doberman Pinscher

4. Finnish Spitz

5. German shepherd

6. Norwegian elkhound

7. Rottweiler

8. Shetland sheepdog

9. Terriers

10. Toy and miniature poodles

Source: “Planet Dog: A Doglopedia” (www.petvr.com/index.php/pages/noisiesyquietestdogs.html)

Agree with this list? Hate it? Got one of your own? Let us know what you think.

And naturally I own 2 out of the 10 breeds. :rolleyes:

:D

My San Antonio (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/list/Planet_Dogs_10_noisiest_dog_breeds.html)

linda22003
11-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Beagles deserve the #1 slot. They bay rather than bark, and they never stop. Every time the beagle next door to us is outside, it's all you can hear. We call her the Itty Bitty Hound of the Baskervilles.

noonwitch
11-30-2009, 12:50 PM
My norwegian elkhound isn't that bad, I don't see how her breed got to be number 6. My mom's yorkie is far worse, and so is her schiztu-poodle mix puppy. Yorkies are the worst-that bark is so shrill.

Katie only barks if someone is on the front porch or if she sees stray cats. Once in a while, she'll bark a response to the sound of barking dogs on television.

SaintLouieWoman
11-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Greyhounds aren't on the list because they have good PR people. :D Blue and Darlene are very vocal. Blue "talks" or yodels. It's scary because we're starting to understand his whiny commands.

I had two Norwegian elkhounds, and they were indeed talkative. Glad to know they're naturally that way, and it wasn't my schnauzers who taught them how to bark and bark and bark.

Noonwitch, I read that elkies were bred to bark a lot and howl, as they'd bay so the hunters would hear them after they had treed prey or were holding moose at bay. They're supposedly independent hunters (my elkies were extremely independent and stubborn).

I initially got greys because they supposedly never bark. Don't believe it. :p

Rockntractor
11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
They missed the Bubba Dawg!

SaintLouieWoman
11-30-2009, 07:35 PM

Hey, like your purple piggie avatar. It's one of your best. :)

Rockntractor
11-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Hey, like your purple piggie avatar. It's one of your best. :)

Thank you kindly!:D

Bubba Dawg
11-30-2009, 08:05 PM

Woof Woof....that's my other dog impersonation. :D

Bubba Dawg
11-30-2009, 08:07 PM
We took in a pair of beagles as lost dogs. They just showed up one day. We had them til' they died of old age. They woudl hunt every night and every day. Eat. Sleep. Hunt.

I loved to hear them bay.

Big Guy
11-30-2009, 08:17 PM
We took in a pair of beagles as lost dogs. They just showed up one day. We had them til' they died of old age. They woudl hunt every night and every day. Eat. Sleep. Hunt.

I love to hear a Beagle with a good loud voice, we had one when I was a kid. Sometimes I would sneak him out for a rabbit hunt while my dad was at work. Could hear him more than a mile away. :)

SaintLouieWoman
11-30-2009, 10:15 PM

My first dog was a beagle. Loved that dog, but my mom took him to the Humane Society because he kept running away. My mom wasn't exactly a dog lover. She broke my heart. When I was a little kid, I told my mom I'd have as many as I want when I grew up. I've had as many as 4 as a time, usually never less than 3.

Greys love to roooooo! Sometimes at greyhound gatherings they have a special noisemaker that gets some of the dogs barking. It's so cool to see most of the greys point those skinny needle-noses to the sky and bay and roo. It's music to my ears. :)

AlmostThere
12-01-2009, 03:15 AM
My wife has a Min Pin. I've had some very bad thoughts after listening to that dog for just a few minutes. If our troops used that yap as a means of extracting info from terrorists, I might have to call torture on that one.

NJCardFan
12-01-2009, 09:36 AM
AS mixed breeds go, I have a cockerpoo who barks at everything. Loses his mind when people go by.