PDA

View Full Version : A Liturgical Dance for Ginger

FlaGator
11-30-2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oASYa-Wkroc&feature=player_embedded

Gingersnap
11-30-2009, 01:55 PM
I've seen worse in real life. I mean that literally. There's nothing like watching 4 or 5 rotund, middle-aged women spin around a nave to the vapid strains of live CCM. :D

noonwitch
11-30-2009, 02:20 PM
I've seen worse in real life. I mean that literally. There's nothing like watching 4 or 5 rotund, middle-aged women spin around a nave to the vapid strains of live CCM. :D

I know what you mean. Colbert is funny,however.

The minister's wife and one of my mom's friends did an african-style dance once during the worship service at my mom's church. Although neither are rotund, I have yet to figure out what about their moving around the stage qualified it as spiritual or dance. Neither woman is of anything close to african descent.

They didn't use CCM, they used what they called "genuine african music". This was in the 80s, around the time Paul Simon made Graceland and liberal christians were trying to insert different cultural practices into worship. I'd have appreciated it much more if the dance had been performed by real africans and not by the minister's anorexic wife and the only one of my mom's friends vain enough to get a facelift.

Gingersnap
11-30-2009, 02:30 PM
I know what you mean. Colbert is funny,however.

The minister's wife and one of my mom's friends did an african-style dance once during the worship service at my mom's church. Although neither are rotund, I have yet to figure out what about their moving around the stage qualified it as spiritual or dance. Neither woman is of anything close to african descent.

They didn't use CCM, they used what they called "genuine african music". This was in the 80s, around the time Paul Simon made Graceland and liberal christians were trying to insert different cultural practices into worship. I'd have appreciated it much more if the dance had been performed by real africans and not by the minister's anorexic wife and the only one of my mom's friends vain enough to get a facelift.

Western Christianity has huge catalog of reverential and impressive religious displays to draw upon. I mean we've really got it going on in the music and drama area. I don't see a lot of need to interject amateur dance into services. Save it for the coffee club. ;)

Bubba Dawg
11-30-2009, 07:39 PM

I don't like liturgical dance much but I'm a Credence Clearwater Revival fan.