PDA

View Full Version : Californian Queers Seek 'Divorce Ban'

AHeneen
11-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Came across this on Facebook and couldn't stop laughing. Looks like queers upset they can't marry have started a petition to get a divorce ban on the ballot (upholding the "til death do us part" oath)...

2010 California Protection of Marriage Act (http://www.facebook.com/pages/2010-California-Protection-of-Marriage-Act/126022448457?v=wall&ref=nf)

Activist seeks divorce ban in California
Comedic movement takes jab at voters who outlawed gay marriage

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34209592/ns/us_news-life/)

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Till death do us part? The vow would really hold true in California if a Sacramento Web designer gets his way.

In a movement that seems ripped from the pages of Comedy Channel writers, John Marcotte wants to put a measure on the ballot next year to ban divorce in California.

The effort is meant to be a satirical statement after California voters outlawed gay marriage in 2008, largely on the argument that a ban is needed to protect the sanctity of traditional marriage. If that's the case, then Marcotte reasons voters should have no problem banning divorce.

"Since California has decided to protect traditional marriage, I think it would be hypocritical of us not to sacrifice some of our own rights to protect traditional marriage even more," the 38-year-old married father of two said.

Marcotte said he has collected dozens of signatures, including one from his wife of seven years. The initiative's Facebook fans have swelled to more than 1,100. Volunteers that include gay activists and members of a local comedy troupe have signed on to help.

continued... (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34209592/ns/us_news-life/)

Bubba Dawg
11-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Actually that is kinda imaginative on their part. Damn 'em.

Rockntractor
11-30-2009, 11:00 PM
In California isn't marriage kind of like dating everywhere else anyway?

stsinner
12-01-2009, 12:10 AM
It's like watching a pack of 5th graders at play...

NJCardFan
12-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Ain't gonna happen as a divorce is a legal dissolution of a binding contract. It isn't like divorcing couples are just saying, "Okies, we're done. Have a nice day." This is why divorces are done in court.

Gingersnap
12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
This is stupid but I'd be okay with getting rid of no-fault divorce when there are minor children involved. Two thirds of divorces are initiated by women who haven't given their spouse any warning. Too many of those divorces happen because the women no longer "feel" the same level of romance and excitement they did before they moved in with the guy.

That's no reason to rip apart a kid's family but if it has to happen, the more adult parent should get more consideration.

noonwitch
12-01-2009, 11:03 AM
This is stupid but I'd be okay with getting rid of no-fault divorce when there are minor children involved. Two thirds of divorces are initiated by women who haven't given their spouse any warning. Too many of those divorces happen because the women no longer "feel" the same level of romance and excitement they did before they moved in with the guy.

That's no reason to rip apart a kid's family but if it has to happen, the more adult parent should get more consideration.

My parents had a no-fault divorce, and we were all adults in a legal sense at the time. No fault divorces are supposed to make it easier and quicker to resolve, but that only works in a short-term marriage where there are no kids and no mutual financial holdings.

When my mom chose to divorce my dad, it was her choice, not his. He wanted to get marriage counseling, she just wanted out. She thought that once she got alimony, she'd be better off financially. All she really got was about $80,000 before lawyers and taxes. My dad, on the other hand, got to keep his business, and was relieved of the responsibility to pay for my sister's college tuition, since the nagging about it ended when he moved out.

Gingersnap
12-01-2009, 11:11 AM
My parents had a no-fault divorce, and we were all adults in a legal sense at the time. No fault divorces are supposed to make it easier and quicker to resolve, but that only works in a short-term marriage where there are no kids and no mutual financial holdings.

When my mom chose to divorce my dad, it was her choice, not his. He wanted to get marriage counseling, she just wanted out. She thought that once she got alimony, she'd be better off financially. All she really got was about $80,000 before lawyers and taxes. My dad, on the other hand, got to keep his business, and was relieved of the responsibility to pay for my sister's college tuition, since the nagging about it ended when he moved out.

This what I mean. If two people are essentially shacking up and they have no finances or children in common, then I don't see a problem with dissolving the contract since it's unlikely they have any religious obligations in common.

Property, money, and kids change all that.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-01-2009, 06:31 PM
But isn't Divorce considered a sin by Christians just as much as homosexuality is? I mean the most common reason I've seen by Christians to outlaw gay marriage is that it's sinful...Yet I don't see Christians launching a ban Divorce campaign, even though Jesus himself specifically spoke against divorce.

AmPat
12-01-2009, 06:46 PM
But isn't Divorce considered a sin by Christians just as much as homosexuality is? I mean the most common reason I've seen by Christians to outlaw gay marriage is that it's sinful...Yet I don't see Christians launching a ban Divorce campaign, even though Jesus himself specifically spoke against divorce.

Well if you read the Bible, you would know that it has provisions in there for divorce. It also says that homosexuality is an abomination. :rolleyes:

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Well if you read the Bible, you would know that it has provisions in there for divorce. It also says that homosexuality is an abomination. :rolleyes:

Yeah, in the Old Testament. But in the Old Testament there are also provisions on how to treat slaves, where slaves can be purchased from, and what to do to someone who violates the Sabbath, what to do with a rebellious child, what's clean to eat and what not to eat, what to do with witches, what a woman must do as far as menstrual issues and menstrual issues and sexual relations. I don't see any of those commands being codified into law, nor do I see any Christians crusading for them to be made the law of the land.

Also, Jesus explicitly comes out against divorce except for only in cases for adultery in the New Testament when asked about divorce.

Matthew 19
3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"
4 "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator `made them male and female,'
5 and said, `For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'?
6 So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
7 "Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"
8 Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.
9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Luke 16
18 "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery

1 Corinthians 7
10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband.
11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

lacarnut
12-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Came across this on Facebook and couldn't stop laughing. Looks like queers upset they can't marry have started a petition to get a divorce ban on the ballot (upholding the "til death do us part" oath)...

That is pretty funny. Fags are pissed cause they can not marry in CA. Boo Hoo.

AmPat
12-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah, in the Old Testament.Blah, Blah, and double Blah.

So what is your point? I can read the Bible without you posting the entire script. Please be concise, I don't have the time for War and Peace.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-01-2009, 07:07 PM

So what is your point? I can read the Bible without you posting the entire script. Please be concise, I don't have the time for War and Peace.

The point is...How can someone who attacks or seeks to gay marriage banned on religious grounds not also seek to get all of the other things the Bible deems wrong or sinful outlawed? It seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Rockntractor
12-01-2009, 07:31 PM
The point is...How can someone who attacks or seeks to gay marriage banned on religious grounds not also seek to get all of the other things the Bible deems wrong or sinful outlawed? It seems a bit hypocritical to me.
How can they? You answer it.

Gingersnap
12-01-2009, 10:40 PM

I'm a traditional Christian myself and we don't view it in that light. Firstly, our lack of enthusiasm for gay marriage has more to do with our understanding of what a marriage is in terms of how God's clearly stated plan for most adults dovetails neatly with natural law. Although the New Covenant no longer allows divorce for infertility, it's obvious to us that the primary purpose of marriage is the creation and care of biological children (among other things).

Secondly, we aren't Red Letter Christians (although a lot of cultural Christians and secular people wish we were). Our understanding of our own faith isn't only drawn from scripture and certainly not only from the Sermon on the Mount; it's encompasses a much larger set of traditions within specific kinds of worldviews that are determined by doctrine and history.

This why traditional Christians just can't get excited by proponents of either Red Letter Christianity or Messianic Christianity. Neither one mirrors our understanding. ;)

AmPat
12-02-2009, 08:49 AM

Do you object to hypocrisy in all people or just Christians? :rolleyes:

Christians are people. People are not perfect. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be to understand the beliefs and values that Christians cherish and support. Christians do not like divorce but it is a sad reality. Christians inherited ths unfortunate byproduct of our increasingly "progressive" society, brought to us inititially by the 60's era hippy generation. Unfortunately, Christians in our society avail themselves of easy divorces instead of working through their marital problems. Make divorce illegal? No. That would not be the right thing. Make divorce more difficult, thereby decreasing its occurences, sure. I could spport that.

But to make Frank and Fred marriage the law of the land because some traditional marriages end in divorce? No thank you.