PDA

View Full Version : Man in custody after beating robber with brick (self defense no defense?)

megimoo
12-01-2009, 01:58 PM
"It's a good thing that he didn't punch him in the gut like those Navy Seals did !"

CORTLAND COUNTY, N.Y. -- A Cortland man is in custody after police say he beat a man that had broken into his apartment. Police say Robbin Brill, 50, returned home Sunday evening and found a man inside attempting to steal money.

They say Brill confronted the man and then beat him with his fists and a brick. Brill then called 911, and the man was taken to University Hospital where he is in critical condition

Brill has been charged with assault in the second degree and criminal possession of a weapon. He was sent to the Cortland County Jail and has since posted bail..

http://news10now.com/cny-news-1013-content/all_news/tompkinscortland/489006/man-in-custody-after-beating-robber-with-brick

FlaGator
12-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Its nice to see that NY is just as insane as ever. It seems its not about the law protecting citizens, it's about making sure the criminals are safe while doing their job. It would surprise me if OSHA visits the guys house and cites him for unsafe working conditions.

lacarnut
12-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Its nice to see that NY is just as insane as ever. It seems its not about the law protecting citizens, it's about making sure the criminals are safe while doing their job. It would surprise me if OSHA visits the guys house and cites him for unsafe working conditions.

Just be glad you do not have to live in one of those shitty liberal states. Looks like the authorities are going to Bernhard Goetz this guy. Possession of a brick is illegal now. :eek:

expat-pattaya
12-01-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm undecided on it this is a legit prosecution. It might be liberal BS but we really don't know.

Could be that Brill went off on the guy and put him in a coma. Maybe he wasn't even resisting. Maybe Brill followed him two blocks and beat him into a pulp. Maybe he beat him after he was unconscious. Maybe he was even invited in and the breaking and entering part is bogus.

I tend to believe that the DA would look at the evidence and if someone defended themselves in their own home would not bring charges. Even in NY.

But, who knows.

Sonnabend
12-01-2009, 04:35 PM
This may very well be the case. Self defence is one thing, but if he went after the guy and subdued him, THEN went for the bricks....that's not self defence and it is assault.

I'd wait on this one.