PDA

View Full Version : Obese Air Passenger in Economy Seat Has Picture Taken (Unbelievable!)

megimoo
12-03-2009, 09:13 AM
The picture, posted on an aviation blog, was reportedly taken by a flight attendant to illustrate to airline managers the difficulty of dealing with passengers who cannot fit into seats.

It is unclear if the man was aware his picture was being taken or whether the flight, on US carrier American Airlines, took off with the passenger spilling out of his seat. Airlines already offer extended seatbelts to larger passengers to comply with safety rules but a number of carriers now insist obese customers buy an extra seat.

US domestic no-frills airline Southwest has a “customer of size” policy that...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6671018/Obese-air-passenger-in-economy-seat-has-picture-taken.html
Passenger creates big debate at American - I mean big!
This is sent to me with the absolute assurance that it's a genuine picture taken by a flight attendant at American Airlines. The F/A took it to show her manager what was happening on the aircraft (757???) and why she was unhappy about it. Seems the guy paid for only one seat and the gate staff let him board.

You can see the F/A's point of view - how the heck is s(he) supposed to deal with it. Sympathise with the guy or not, he's a major safety hazard in an evacuation, a gross inconvenience for the cabin crew, and I would suggest a totally unacceptable travelling companion for the guy next to him.

I don't know what the actual outcome was but it seems unimaginable that he was allowed to fly in the end. Not that anything on a commercial airline is actually unimaginable, but close anyway.
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/unusual-attitude/2009/11/passenger-creates-big-debate-a.html

linda22003
12-03-2009, 09:24 AM
The window seat in that row appears to be empty; hopefully they let him ooze into a second seat. :(

Gingersnap
12-03-2009, 09:49 AM
I really hope that this a PhotoShop of some kind. If it isn't, seating him there is a major safety hazard.

I don't think airlines should have scales in front of ticket counters for passengers but it really is just common sense to make a "two-seat" passenger pay for two seats. I'm sure it's expensive and embarrassing. I get that but trying to squish these people into a regular seat clearly isn't working. :eek:

BadCat
12-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I really hope that this a PhotoShop of some kind. If it isn't, seating him there is a major safety hazard.

I don't think airlines should have scales in front of ticket counters for passengers but it really is just common sense to make a "two-seat" passenger pay for two seats. I'm sure it's expensive and embarrassing. I get that but trying to squish these people into a regular seat clearly isn't working. :eek:

They should make him fly as air freight.

megimoo
12-03-2009, 10:25 AM

They should have a special section in the hold to carry these bovine like Passengers with double/triple wide seats surrounded with webbing and extra tie downs to keep them stable.Plus an added fuel and special seating fee.

They could roll em on/roll em off them them with a forklift on a pallet through the cargo doors just like the circus !

Imaging what its like when they start to sweat and smell and you are squashed in next to one of these critters on a cross country flight ?

Nubs
12-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I have been on a flight where people had to move their seat to re center the planes center of gravity to safe limits because an obese passegner was so heavy.

AmPat
12-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I have been on a flight where people had to move their seat to re center the planes center of gravity to safe limits because an obese passegner was so heavy.

Me too, very disconcerting.:(

Speedy
12-03-2009, 05:07 PM
The photo seems like a Photoshop to me. How big is that guy? 7'4"?

Big Guy
12-03-2009, 09:36 PM
The photo seems like a Photoshop to me. How big is that guy? 7'4"?

I'm with Speedy on this one. This guy would have to be at least that tall and weigh over 600 lbs. Doubt this is real. :D

Shannon
12-03-2009, 09:47 PM

Seriously?:eek:

Porkers make me ill.

Rockntractor
12-03-2009, 10:19 PM

Sometimes they are unable to bathe properly too.:eek:

PoliCon
12-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Porkers make me ill.

Rockntractor makes me sick too.

Rockntractor
12-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Rockntractor makes me sick too.

You missed me didn't you shorty!

RobJohnson
12-04-2009, 01:48 AM
From the article comments:

If this photo is not fake, can someone explain me how this guy even got into the plane? Don't tell me they let him in through the luggage compartment!
I agree with Grant: my weight is about 80 kgs. If I take a suitcase with me of 26 kgs, I have to pay a fine (in Europe). My total weight is 106 kgs.This big guy weighs about 150 kgs (or even more!) and only pays a regular fare. I do not want to discriminate, but this is rather unjust, isn't it?

PoliCon
12-04-2009, 10:12 AM
AH THE FAT. One of two groups it is still safe to discriminate against and persicute.

linda22003
12-04-2009, 10:52 AM
YOU sit next to him, then.

PoliCon
12-04-2009, 11:53 AM
YOU sit next to him, then. Wouldn't work. I'm too broad across the shoulders. But then at the same time I'm not sitting here judging him either. :p