PDA

View Full Version : Gov't/News Merge Urged By Congress Critter.

Gingersnap
12-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Struggling media will need government help: US congressman
Dec 2 04:35 PM US/Eastern

The newspaper industry is suffering "market failure" and the government will need to help preserve serious journalism essential to democracy, an influential US congressman said Wednesday. "The newspapers my generation has taken for granted are facing a structural threat to the business model that has sustained them," said Representative Henry Waxman, a Democrat from California.

"The loss of revenue has spurred a vicious cycle with thousands of journalists losing their jobs," he told a meeting on journalism in the Internet age hosted by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

Waxman, who chairs the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, which has jurisdiction over the FTC, said the "depression in the media sector is not cyclical, it is structural."

"While this has implications for the media it also has implications for democracy," he added. "A vigorous free press and vigorous democracy have been inextricably linked.

"We cannot risk the loss of an informed public and all that means because of this market failure," he said.

Without endorsing any proposals, Waxman noted various proposed remedies, including new tax structures for publishers, providing non-profit status, changing anti-trust regulations or eliminating a law that bars owning a newspaper and a television station in the same city.

Acknowledging that talk of government support for the press raises "red flags," Waxman stressed it is not the job of Congress to "deny the evolution of media."

But "as we look at these various solutions, government's going to have to be involved in one way or the other," he warned.

Really? Why? If I want the government's view on any issue, I'll just turn on PBS or NPR. :mad:

Breitbart (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.abd53d78e59f7fcdc66d97d5c358d98 5.ae1&show_article=1)

linda22003
12-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Really? Why? If I want the government's view on any issue, I'll just turn on PBS or NPR. :mad:

That's kind of a broad brush; we watch the News Hour because they are very good about having a conversation with people from both sides of an issue.

ralph wiggum
12-03-2009, 12:06 PM
...The newspapers my generation has taken for granted are facing a structural threat to the business model that has sustained them...

Then the business should change or die.

linda22003
12-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Exactly. We're at a time when newspapers have to reinvent themselves or die. The Washington Times is in the process of doing both. It's laid off almost half its staff and will be a free giveaway at a few downtown locations.

AmPat
12-03-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm thinking of starteing a telegraph business. I demand gov't intevention. We cannot allow the telegraph to fail!:rolleyes:

lacarnut
12-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Liberal critters like Waxman should take a dose of their own medicine to include tax breaks for small business . You know, the ones that create 75% of the jobs.

Liberal newspapers that print mostly biased news are failing because readers do not want to read their crap. Let them fail if they can not adapt. That's what happens to other segments of the economy.

linda22003
12-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Liberal newspapers that print mostly biased news are failing because readers do not want to read their crap. Let them fail if they can not adapt. That's what happens to other segments of the economy.

Actually, they're all struggling because of demographic changes; younger people simply don't read newspapers and have never been in the habit of doing so. The Washington Times, which I mentioned above, is by no means a liberal paper, but it's circling the drain now.

AmPat
12-03-2009, 01:40 PM
You aren't paying attention. I'm giving you all a chance. Send me one dollar. $1.00 and I will let you in on the ground floor of this earth shattering, exclusive offer. IPO in my telegraph business. It is a failing enterprise that I will petition the Obama administration for bailout money. I should be able to rescue this business for a mere 200 Billion. If that works out, i'm planning a new business that will help prop up the Equine business, the agriculture industry, service industry, etc. My plan will be to use Horses. Yes, horses to speed delivery of the U.S. Postal service throughout the United States. Think of the job creation!

Gingersnap
12-03-2009, 01:52 PM
That's kind of a broad brush; we watch the News Hour because they are very good about having a conversation with people from both sides of an issue.

But the slant is whatever the Boomer authority perspective says it is and this is coincidentally usually whatever the public schools and government outreach agencies are also preaching. Let's face it, the Boomers are The Man at this point in time. When you question authority today, you are automatically questioning mainstream Boomer views and this is all NPR and PBS run.

News "papers" have run their course. News agencies still have a lot to offer. The beauty of the Internet is that the reader isn't confined to one major viewpoint driven by demographics. Neither NPR nor PBS should get public funds, let alone other media outlets.

Why should I subsidize some white, middle-class Boomer's unflagging interest in racial guilt, social justice, and sex over 60? :p

linda22003
12-03-2009, 01:56 PM
But the slant is whatever the Boomer authority perspective says it is and this is coincidentally usually whatever the public schools and government outreach agencies are also preaching. Let's face it, the Boomers are The Man at this point in time. When you question authority today, you are automatically questioning mainstream Boomer views and this is all NPR and PBS run.

Oddly enough, I don't have any problem with that. :p:D I expect it will be that way for most of the rest of your life.

Gingersnap
12-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Oddly enough, I don't have any problem with that. :p:D I expect it will be that way for most of the rest of your life.

Little Miss Sunshine, that's you all over again. :p

linda22003
12-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Little Miss Sunshine, that's you all over again. :p

I was born in one of the highest birth years of the whole Boom, so I'm feeling right at home. ;)

AmPat
12-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Ok, that settles it. All of you are officially outside the circle of trust. No bailout money for you.:mad: :p

JB
12-03-2009, 07:20 PM
These guys really just do not get it.

It's beyond funny anymore.

Big Guy
12-03-2009, 08:04 PM
You aren't paying attention. I'm giving you all a chance. Send me one dollar. $1.00 and I will let you in on the ground floor of this earth shattering, exclusive offer. IPO in my telegraph business. It is a failing enterprise that I will petition the Obama administration for bailout money. I should be able to rescue this business for a mere 200 Billion. If that works out, i'm planning a new business that will help prop up the Equine business, the agriculture industry, service industry, etc. My plan will be to use Horses. Yes, horses to speed delivery of the U.S. Postal service throughout the United States. Think of the job creation!

Dude, you are a friggin genius. How about we get a bunch of birds and tie messeges to their legs and send them over the ocean. We can also invent a high tech way to communicate using radio waves to send a code consisting of dots and dashes. If that don't work, we get a bail out again.:D

AmPat
12-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Dude, you are a friggin genius. How about we get a bunch of birds and tie messeges to their legs and send them over the ocean. We can also invent a high tech way to communicate using radio waves to send a code consisting of dots and dashes. If that don't work, we get a bail out again.:D
Do I take it that your'e in?:confused: I need some executives to assist with the initiaL skimming.

PoliCon
12-03-2009, 10:34 PM
If they are failing - they are FAILING for a reason. Let them fail. New outlets will replace them.

Oceander
12-12-2009, 10:28 PM
If they are failing - they are FAILING for a reason. Let them fail. New outlets will replace them.

Exactly, and there are some - mainly those who didn't drink the "information wants to be free" kool-aid the left was offering up several years ago - like the Wall Street Journal that seem to be doing quite nicely, thank you very much.

Rupert Murdoch wrote an op-ed on the subject last week that was an interesting read; one of the things he pointed out that no-one else seems to have pointed out is that, once the government declares media outlets to be non-profits, they can no longer back political candidates - something the left would just love to shut down, as can be seen by the hysterical reaction from the Democrats in Congress to the temerity of the Catholic Church speaking out on the abortion funding issue - Woolsey demanded that the IRS investigate whether their tax-exempt status should be yanked, effing b**ch:

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx221/B_Oceander/Others/I_Love_Woolsey.jpg

(if anyone finds the NSDAP trappings offensive, sorry, but since Herr-y Reid took the gloves off by essentially equating the opponents of Obamacare with pre-Civil War slave owners, it's fair game as far as I'm concerned; to wit:

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx221/B_Oceander/Truths/Adolph_Reid.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx221/B_Oceander/Truths/Feinstein_SS-Guard.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx221/B_Oceander/Others/Pelosi/NSDAP_Pelosi.jpg

PoliCon
12-12-2009, 10:29 PM
wow. Those pics are so . . . . DU. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
12-12-2009, 10:32 PM

I hope you fall off your phone book.

PoliCon
12-12-2009, 10:43 PM
I hope you fall off your phone book.

If we act like they do - we are little better than they are.

Oceander
12-13-2009, 09:38 AM

Flattery will get you nowhere.

PoliCon
12-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Flattery will get you nowhere.

You should learn the difference between flattery and contempt.

Oceander
12-14-2009, 12:31 AM
You should learn the difference between flattery and contempt.

I thought deadpan earnestness was strictly a DU commodity. You do recognize sarcasm, at least, do you not? Should I have instead responded to your obvious insult by getting all hot-n-bothered and throwing insults back? To my way of thinking, that would have been entirely too rude for a newcomer such as myself to do, don't you agree?

Speedy
12-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Jeez, Dude! Your Photoshop Skills suck!

Oceander
12-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Jeez, Dude! Your Photoshop Skills suck!

Ah me, such devastating witticisms

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx221/B_Oceander/clapping_animation.gif

I'm sure I typed "conservativeunderground" into the address bar, but apparently my typing sucks, too.

PoliCon
12-15-2009, 12:13 AM
I thought deadpan earnestness was strictly a DU commodity. You do recognize sarcasm, at least, do you not? Should I have instead responded to your obvious insult by getting all hot-n-bothered and throwing insults back? To my way of thinking, that would have been entirely too rude for a newcomer such as myself to do, don't you agree?

Throwing insults when you don't get your way is another leftist characteristic. I'd prefer if conservatives did not emulate the WORST of the left in our fight with them.

Oceander
12-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Throwing insults when you don't get your way is another leftist characteristic. I'd prefer if conservatives did not emulate the WORST of the left in our fight with them.

Really? That's funny; perhaps you ought to review the tape and see who started throwing insults first, because he didn't get his way. I'll give you a hint: find a mirror.

PoliCon
12-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Really? That's funny; perhaps you ought to review the tape and see who started throwing insults first, because he didn't get his way. I'll give you a hint: find a mirror. Right. I started it. :rolleyes: I made you post DUesque images:
http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showpost.php?p=215514&postcount=18
That post is all my fault. I provoked it by . . . . . by saying:

:rolleyes:

Oceander
12-15-2009, 11:47 PM
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx221/B_Oceander/Obama/CO2-Scofflaw_2.jpg

Is that any more to your liking? Make you feel a little less degraded? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gingersnap
12-16-2009, 09:41 AM
O Noes111!!!1!

My Boomer-bashing/MSM death-watch thread has been taken over by.........crazy people!

Seriously, let's stick to punching hippies and laughing at do-gooder politicians instead of calling each other out, okay? :D

Rockntractor
12-16-2009, 09:47 AM
O Noes111!!!1!

My Boomer-bashing/MSM death-watch thread has been taken over by.........crazy people!

Seriously, let's stick to punching hippies and laughing at do-gooder politicians instead of calling each other out, okay? :D

Just precious isn't it? DUesque images?:rolleyes:

PoliCon
12-16-2009, 06:58 PM
O Noes111!!!1!

See my signature :p