PDA

View Full Version : Friday in a Funk

linda22003
12-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Cloudy and cool in the DC area today. It's supposed to rain/snow tomorrow.

TOTD: There isn't one, really. I've been in all-day meetings all week. I couldn't get out of them for a friend's funeral on Tuesday, since I just found out Monday night that he died. Knew him for almost thirty years, and he died of a huge heart attack on Thanksgiving day. His mother also died the same way, several years ago.... ALSO on Thanksgiving Day.
I'm listening to quiet Christmas music (Renaissance, not the Chipmunks) in the car on the way back and forth to work, but I really have no time to relax and contemplate. What are your coping mechanisms?

Rockntractor
12-04-2009, 09:10 AM
I have to mourn just like you are. If I don't face it when it happens it just bothers me later. I never will grow accustomed to the passing off time and good friends and close relatives. I don't like change.

linda22003
12-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I don't like change.

That's really what it all comes down to, isn't it?? :p Good perspective, Rockie.

Gingersnap
12-04-2009, 10:49 AM
It's about 4 F here but the sun is out for now. No real chance for a warm-up for days. :(

TOTD: I dunno, really. I'd probably sit down with a glass of wine and compose a letter to his wife (or children). I'd reminisce about him and try to explain why I liked him and how much he will be missed. That would clear my head a little and be something valuable for his family. It's too soon for the lunch and sympathy thing and phone calls right now are just intrusive and awkward. Cards are lame.

After, I might crack open that bible or BOC to an appropriate selection. ;)

linda22003
12-04-2009, 10:50 AM
I'll be writing a letter to his brother this weekend. My friend's wife predeceased him by several years; she died at 46 and he was 61. :(

PoliCon
12-04-2009, 12:40 PM
TOTD: If something is hitting me especially hard I will spend time alone in the chapel before the Lord and often times contend with Him.

lacarnut
12-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Cloudy, coolish in the high 40's and a dreary day in Bayou land. I hate winter.

TOTD: My day passed away a year ago at 99 years of age. I still miss cooking and taking care of him.

SaintLouieWoman
12-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Linda, change is hard and facing folks in the same general age bracket dying is even more difficult. It forces us to confront our own mortality. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Yesterday had an uncomfortable encounter. I got a sympathy card for a woman who had been my supervisor. She was horrible, the worst I've ever had. I won't even go into all the nasty tricks she played on me that have had long term health consequences to me to this day.

Her husband had a massive stroke last week. Due to a family situation with my sons last weekend, couldn't attend the services. I got a simple card and wrote a note in it.

She came to my office on the verge of tears throughout our conversation. It was difficult to cope. I did like her husband. He was a nice man. I was able to overcome my loathing of her and say some words to hopefully help. I think it was a release for both of us, as our hostility has been going on for 10 years.

linda22003
12-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Needless to say, there was no loathing here; I drove to the cemetery to see his grave this afternoon. I remembered exactly where it was from the time of his wife's funeral. The closing date was already on his bronze plaque, the sod was already down, and .... the flowers were still absolutely fresh. Such efficiency.

Shannon
12-04-2009, 06:55 PM
The weather is horrible here. It's been raining all day. :(

As far as coping mechanisms...I just tell myself that I will think about it tomorrow.;)

RobJohnson
12-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Cloudy and cool in the DC area today. It's supposed to rain/snow tomorrow.

TOTD: There isn't one, really. I've been in all-day meetings all week. I couldn't get out of them for a friend's funeral on Tuesday, since I just found out Monday night that he died. Knew him for almost thirty years, and he died of a huge heart attack on Thanksgiving day. His mother also died the same way, several years ago.... ALSO on Thanksgiving Day.
I'm listening to quiet Christmas music (Renaissance, not the Chipmunks) in the car on the way back and forth to work, but I really have no time to relax and contemplate. What are your coping mechanisms?

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. :mad: