PDA

View Full Version : Saturday hype

PoliCon
12-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Cloudy with snow showers developing during the afternoon. High 36F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 40%.

I'll be spending the day at church putting up the Christmas decorations. :) THEN We've been invited to the pastors house for dinner. Should prove to be an interesting day.

TOTD: Was looking around and found out some very interesting things about my hometown. So I thought - wouldn't that be something interesting for the topic of the day - a chance to brag about our own hometowns. :)

SO - I was surprised to discover that the actor who played Lurch on the Adam's family - Ted Cassidy - was from Pittsburgh.

Other famous people from the Pittsburgh area include:
R C Sproul
Perry Como,
Jimmy Stewart
Charles Bronson
Shirley Jones
Dennis Miller
Dean Martin
Judge Robert Bork
Rep. Ron Paul
Sen. Orrin Hatch
Gov Tom Vilsack
Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Joe Montana
Johnny Unitas
Joe Namath
Gene Kelly
Martha Graham
Rachel Carson
Dan Marino
Christina Aguilera
Michael Keaton
Jeff Goldblum
and 5 star general George Marshall - to name a few. :)

I was not however surprised to find out that Pittsburgh has more bridges than any other city in the world - including Venice Italy.

Pittsburgh is also the birth place of:

Public TV Station - WQED
Commercial Radio - KDKA, Nov. 2, 1920
The Ferris Wheel - 1893
Polio Vaccine - Jonas Salk, 1954
First Retractable Dome - Mellon Arena
First Night World Series Game - 1971
Movie Theaters- 1905
The Big Mac
The Banana Split
Emoticons - specifically the Smiley: :-)
Klondike Bars
Mr. Yuck Stickers
Zippo Lighters
BINGO
Gas Stations
AND Pittsburgh was home to the first Professional Football game in 1892 and -
The Pittsburgh Steelers hold most of the records for Superbowl wins including the first team to have 6 superbowl victories :p

What has your hometown given the world?

Rockntractor
12-05-2009, 01:45 AM
scotch tape.
Oh yeah and Rockntractor!

Big Guy
12-05-2009, 01:52 AM
Actors/Actresses

Charles Bollin Watts

Helen Wood

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artists

Robert Loftin Newman - Renowned oil painter

Charles Schulz - Creator of "Peanuts"

Cindy Marsh - Album art on first Go Go's album

Mike Fink - Album art on first Go Go's album

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Athletes

Ben Clark (2nd youngest American to climb Mount Everest)

Sloan Thomas (Current Wide Receiver for the Tennessee Titans)

Mason Rudolph (Professional golfer) (no relation to Wilma Rudolph)

Jeff Purvis (Busch Series race car driver)

Horace Lisenbee (MLB Player)

Harry Galbreath (American football player with Miami Dolphins, Green Bay Packers, and New York Jets)

Trenton Hassell (Basketball player with Minnesota Timberwolves and Chicago Bulls)

Wilma Rudolph (First female athlete to win three Olympic Gold Medals in a single games)

Shawn Marion (Basketball player with Phoenix Suns)

Percy Howard (wide receiver for the Dallas Cowboys)

George Sherrill (baseball player for the Seattle Mariners)

Jamie Walker (relief pitcher for the Detroit Tigers)

Bubba Wells (basketball player for the Dallas Mavericks)

James "Fly" Williams (legendary 1970s basketball player; later in the original American Basketball Association)

Howie Wright (1970s basketball player for the New York Knicks)

Travis Stephens (American football player with Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

Pat Summitt (UT Women's Basketball coach)

Jerry Sloan (coach of the Utah Jazz)

Authors/Writers

Elizabeth Meriwether Gilmer also know by the pen name of Dorothy Dix (a journalist who was famous for authoring a newspaper column that gave advice to people.)

Evelyn Scott (Poet and novelist)

Caroline Gordon (Novelist and wife of Allen Tate)

Phila Hach (Chef and Cookbook Author)

Allen Tate (Poet)

Robert Penn Warren (Poet)

Doctors/Scientists

Dr. Robert Burt (Well Known Surgeon)

Dr. Ernest William Goodpasture (American pathologist and physician)

Inventors/Entrepreneurs/Founders

Asahel Huntington Patch, or A. H. Patch (Inventor of the Blackhawk corn sheller)

Clarence Saunders (Founder of the present day supermarket, Piggly Wiggly)

Brenda Vineyard Runyon (Founder and Director of a historic bank 1919-1926, First Woman's Bank of Tennessee)

Military

Gen. William Westmoreland

Valentine Sevier, Revolutionary War soldier, and brother of John Sevier, Tennessee's first governor. (Built Sevier Station in Clarksville, a small fort for settlers to take refuge during attacks by the Native American Indians, this structure still stands today as a historic site.)

Musicians

Roy Acuff (Country music star)

Jimi Hendrix (Rock guitarist)

Ferdinand Lust (Musician)

Roland Hayes (Musician)

Clarence Cameron White (Musician)

Ethan McGinnis (Country music star)

Brian Andrade (Ethan McGinnis guitarist)

Politicians

James E. Bailey (United States Senator from Tennessee)

Riley Darnell (Secretary of State of Tennessee)

Rosalind Kurita (Member of Tennessee State Senate)

John Hartwell Marable (Member of United States House of Representatives)

James B. Reynolds (Member of United States House of Representatives)

Willie Blount Governor of Tennessee 1809-1815

Philander Claxton (Professor, United States Commissioner of Education, and APSU President)

Tommy Head (Member of Tennessee House of Representatives)

Joseph Buckner Killebrew (Educator, Lawyer, Innovator, originator of the liberal public school law of Tennessee)

Austin Peay IV (Tennessee governor from 1922 to 1927 and namesake to university)

Gustavus Adolphus Henry Sr. (1804-1880) (Whig/Kentucky and Democrat/Tennessee, known as the "Eagle Orator of Tennessee")

Cave Johnson (Democrat, U.S. Congressman from Tennessee United States Postmaster General under James K. Polk from 1845-1849)

Horace Harmon Lurton (Justice on the Supreme Court of the United States)

Isaac Murphy (First Reconstruction Governor of Arkansas.)

Key Pittman (United States Senator from Nevada)

Radio/TV

Frank Sutton (Actor who played Sgt. Carter in television series "Gomer Pyle, USMC")

Gretchen Cordy (Reality television cast member on "Survivor: Borneo" and local radio DJ)

Ryan Shoulders (Reality television cast member and second to get voted off on "Survivor: Pearl Islands")

Little Known Fact:
Clarksville Tennessee is the Home of the 101st Airborne Division. The post Office is located on the Kentucky side of Ft. Campbell so the Post has a Kentucky address.

:D

Gingersnap
12-05-2009, 10:29 AM
It's about 20 F and we'll bask in near unfreezing temps this afternoon. Then it's back to the freezereeno with snow through early next week. It's about time to tune up those skis.

My hometown isn't known for much (it didn't exist a hundred years ago). However, I'm happy to report that Alfred Packer did singlehandedly eat all the Democrats in Hinsdale county. :)

BadCat
12-05-2009, 10:42 AM
During Coronado's Jornada del Muerte (Journey of Death), the Spaniards had sent a party of missionaries ahead to spread the teachings of Christianity.

The Indians found some things they liked about this, and a lot of things they didn't.

Coronado found his missionaries crucified on a hill over the river. The local Indians apparently thought this was a pretty neat way to kill a Spaniard.

My hometown is built around that site.

Gingersnap
12-05-2009, 10:54 AM
During Coronado's Jornada del Muerte (Journey of Death), the Spaniards had sent a party of missionaries ahead to spread the teachings of Christianity.

The Indians found some things they liked about this, and a lot of things they didn't.

Coronado found his missionaries crucified on a hill over the river. The local Indians apparently thought this was a pretty neat way to kill a Spaniard.

My hometown is built around that site.

I have no doubt that your house is built directly on top of that site. :D

BadCat
12-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I have no doubt that your house is built directly on top of that site. :D

Nope, it currently serves as an obstacle on hole 3 of the country club golf course.

Gingersnap
12-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Nope, it currently serves as an obstacle on hole 3 of the country club golf course.

A course you no doubt play regularly. :p

BadCat
12-05-2009, 11:04 AM
A course you no doubt play regularly. :p

Hometown, Ginger...it's in New Mexico, not Aridzona.

However I did play there regularly when I lived there.

Gingersnap
12-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Hometown, Ginger...it's in New Mexico, not Aridzona.

However I did play there regularly when I lived there.

My bad - I thought it meant our current home town. I think my original home town is best known for prairie dog slaughters, Mormons, and really, really excellent pot lucks. :p

JB
12-05-2009, 03:12 PM
What has your hometown given the world?The Declaration of Independence.
The Constitution.
The Marines.
Electricity.

ralph wiggum
12-05-2009, 03:26 PM
The Declaration of Independence.
The Constitution.
The Marines.
Electricity.

That's it? :rolleyes:

patriot45
12-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Hehe, my home town of Massapequa, Long Island gave us the Baldwin brothers! :eek::D

My home town now is the winter strawberry capitol!

lurkalot
12-05-2009, 03:51 PM
:confused:

desperately thinking of something interesting, important or relevant to come out of the back water I come from! We were on the superfund EPA clean up for the year 2000!

Gingersnap
12-05-2009, 05:07 PM
:confused:

desperately thinking of something interesting, important or relevant to come out of the back water I come from! We were on the superfund EPA clean up for the year 2000!

Ya gotta love RCRA. :D

JB
12-05-2009, 05:14 PM
That's it? :rolleyes:I figured I would just put the bar out of reach. Although, technically, electricity is God's.

PoliCon
12-05-2009, 08:47 PM
The Declaration of Independence.
The Constitution.
The Marines.
Electricity.

True - but the first two were only brought about by people from all over the 13 colonies coming there. :p

Shannon
12-05-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't have a hometown.

PoliCon
12-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't have a hometown.

We those of us who were BORN do have one :p

Rockntractor
12-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't have a hometown.

A mother ship?

PoliCon
12-05-2009, 09:24 PM
A mother ship?

A strong possibility! :D

RobJohnson
12-06-2009, 12:10 AM
That's it? :rolleyes:

LOL :D

RobJohnson
12-06-2009, 12:30 AM
TOTD: The John Deere world headquarters & the Rock Island Arsenal. Right across the river (Davenport, IA) Ronald Regan was hired as a Sportscaster for WOC radio in 1932. Cary Grant died in the same city.

The call letters WOC are short for "wonders of chiropratic" as chiropractic care was discovered in Davenport, Iowa in 1895 by Dr. David Palmer. Palmer College of Chiropratic draws students from around the world.

http://www.dixonil.com/reagan/rrwoc.jpg

I am from the IA/IL Quad Cities. Several great towns & cities, very close to each other.