PDA

View Full Version : My State Fair Lady; Lemons to lemonade, malaise to marmalade: Sarah

megimoo
12-05-2009, 06:23 PM
"The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns, as it were, instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish squirting out ink." George Orwell
LIBERALS ARE BLOWN AWAY BY FOOTNOTES AND BIG WORDS (even though they don't actually read the footnotes). One "reviewer" of Sarah Palin's book, who admittedly hadn't read the book, joked that he "bet" that it doesn't contain any footnotes, "but the pictures are probably nice." HO HO HO.

WELL, when I brought the book home from K-MART, I let the Lord "open" the book, as I often do with a new book, and it "fell open" to p. 174-175 the "lemons" part of the book (two miscarriages and a Down Syndrome son). I have a "gift" that way of finding a book's most powerful line within seconds, or minutes at most.

"I grieved when I had that second miscarriage, too, but with so many people now depending on me, I had to react differently. Life does toughen up your reactions to devastating news." Sarah Palin

Speaking of liberals, I wish that the textbooks for our school children were written by people who have lived life for awhile instead of "doctoral" candidates in their twenties. And every school child in America should read Sarah's book (if only little Johnnie could read)!

Almost every page of her book brings tears to my eyes. I didn't even notice the "pictures" at first, but the first picture I saw made me bawl like a baby; it was the photo of Mr. Heath's "old blue Rambler" in which he moved his family from Sand Point, Idaho to Skagway, Alaska, population 650, when Sarah was three months old.

"Skagway was a sweet start in life . . In Skagway, icy winds tear relentlessly through town. But I don't remember the winters as well. I mostly remember sunny summer days . . the hum of propellers on the gravel airstrip right near the middle of town . . . "

Right away, you see why New Yorkers like Maureen Dowd can't relate to Sarah Palin. But that explains my tears. When my dad sold his dairy farm, he bought a blue Rambler station wagon, the newest car he ever owned other than his '26 Model T. He owned two Rambler Americans, and I owned two other ones myself (the last one in the 1980s). So that caused the first tears to fall. But that unexpected phenomenon continues as I read the book (I'm up to page 165 now). At one point, I forget the page, my tears actually fell on my reading glasses, and I washed the lenses with my own tears.

Mo Dowd compared Sarah Palin to Liza Doolittle, the cockneyed flower seller in "My Fair Lady." The modern "Sophists" have compared her to everything from 'slutty flight attendant' to "Governor Gidget" (everything, so far, except SKAG, as in Skagway). Obviously, they haven't read the Book.

"It was the Alaska State Fair, August 2008. With the gray Talkeetna Mountains in the distance and the first covering of snow about to descend on Pioneer Peak, I breathed in an autumn bouquet that combined everything small-town America with splashes of the Last Frontier."

The lady can write, and I don't mean Mo Dowd. The latter, in her blind-rage and jealousy, must have forgotten how "My Fair Lady" turned out. Maybe she never saw the play either.

Life is a paradox, and Liberals don't "get" the nuances of a paradox such as the need for competition in America, "beyond the Last Frontier." I knew that Sarah wasn't a "Doolittle," but I didn't know that she had played on a state championship basketball team, or that she had run marathons. Quite obviously, Liberals are intimidated by her competitive streak, and they don't understand the ultimate source of her drive either. Sarah starts out page 1 with a quotation from Lou Holtz:

"I don't believe that God put us on earth to be ordinary."

Chapter two begins with one from Aristotle:

"Criticism is something we can avoid by saying nothing, doing nothing, being nothing."

Sarah has more than one quote from Coach John Wooden of UCLA. Chapter three starts out:

"Our land is everything to us . . I will tell one of the things we remember on our land. We remember that our grandfathers paid for it with their lives."

Her book is dedicated to "all Patriots who share my love of the United States of America . . . God bless the fight for freedom."

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/dahlgren/091202