PDA

View Full Version : States Have The Right To Secede? Zogby Poll.

Gingersnap
07-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Released: July 23, 2008

Middlebury Institute/Zogby Poll: One in Five Americans Believe States Have the Right to Secede

Survey finds 18% would support a secessionist effort in their state

UTICA, New York -One in five American adults - 22% - believe that any state or region has the right to "peaceably secede from the United States and become an independent republic," a new Middlebury Institute/Zogby International telephone poll shows.

I believe any state or region has the right to peaceably secede and become an independent republic:

Agree
22%
Disagree
73%
Not sure
5%

The level of support for the right of secession was consistent in every region in the country, though the percentage was slightly higher in the South (26%) and the East (24%). The figures were also consistent for every age group, but backing was strongest among younger adults, as 40% among those age 18 to 24 and 24% among those age 25 to 34 agreed states and regions have secession rights.

Broken down by race, the highest percentage agreeing with the right to secede was among Hispanics (43%) and African-Americans (40%). Among white respondents, 17% said states or regions should have the right to peaceably secede.

I would support a secessionist effort in my state:

Agree
18%
Disagree
72%
Not sure
10%

Politically, liberal thinkers were much more likely to favor the right to secession for states and regions, as 32% of mainline liberals agreed with the concept. Among the very liberal the support was only slightly less enthusiastic - 28% said they favored such a right. Meanwhile, just 17% of mainline conservatives thought it should exist as an option for states or regions of the nation.

Asked whether they would support a secessionist movement in their own state, 18% said they would, with those in the South most likely to say they would back such an effort. In the South, 24% said they would support such an effort, while 15% in the West and Midwest said the same. Here, too, younger adults were more likely than older adults to be supportive - 35% of those under age 30 would support secession in their state, compared to just 17% of those over age 65. Among African Americans, 33% said they would support secession, compared to just 15% of white adults. The more education a respondent had, the less likely they were to support secession - as 38% of those with less than a high school diploma would support it, compared to just 10% of those with a college degree.

Interesting. You'd think the lefties would recognize that breaking up the union would instantly rupture the welfare state.

Zogby (http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1531)

JoshMCT
07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Interesting. You'd think the lefties would recognize that breaking up the union would instantly rupture the welfare state.

Maybe thats becasue red states have more people on welfare than blue states. The blue states supply most of the tax dollars to subsidize the red states.

megimoo
07-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Zogby (http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1531)Good lets dump California !

lacarnut
07-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Maybe thats becasue red states have more people on welfare than blue states. The blue states supply most of the tax dollars to subsidize the red states.

What we need is more Newt legislation to get a majority (not the sick and disabled) of these lazy asses that are able bodied off welfare.

BTW, if all the red states did seced, they could bring the blue states to their knees. Energy, food, water, etc. come to mind.

FeebMaster
07-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm surprised the numbers are so high. Then again, maybe the secession numbers are inflated by those assholes who say things like "sure a state has the right to peaceably secede and the United States has the right to forcibly bring them back."

It's just because there's a Republican in the White House.

Gingersnap
07-25-2008, 01:52 PM

I'm all for dismantling the welfare state, including subsdies to factory farms but I doubt most people had that argument in mind when they answered the poll.

Rebel Yell
07-25-2008, 04:24 PM

Odd, isn't it? The people of the states that recieve the most welfare are the ones wanting to get rid of it, while those in the states that supply the welfare refuse to do away with it.

I've narrowed it down to three reasons.
1. The libs in the blue states feel guilty of something and think those who don't work deserve a free ride.
2. The libs in the blue states don't have to live amongst the welfare trash that we do in the red states, so they don't care.
3. Without welfare, the number of democratic voters in red states would be cut by about 75%. Strictly a power play.

lacarnut
07-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Odd, isn't it? The people of the states that recieve the most welfare are the ones wanting to get rid of it, while those in the states that supply the welfare refuse to do away with it.

I've narrowed it down to three reasons.
1. The libs in the blue states feel guilty of something and think those who don't work deserve a free ride.
2. The libs in the blue states don't have to live amongst the welfare trash that we do in the red states, so they don't care.
3. Without welfare, the number of democratic voters in red states would be cut by about 75%. Strictly a power play.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Look at what states took the least number of the black beauties after Hurricane Katrina struck. Very few in the northeast. Kinda tell me that these assholes like to talk the talk but don't want to walk the walk. You would have thought that with all that caring pent up for those poor lost souls, that the dummies would have welcomed them with open arms. Not.

NonConformist
07-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Yes they do, but as we saw in the Lincoln Administration the government will use whatever force necessary to keep their power even if a state wants to secede, regardless of the cost or the violations to the constitution they perpetrate to keep that power.

We are a VOLUNTARY union

noonwitch
07-29-2008, 08:36 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head. Look at what states took the least number of the black beauties after Hurricane Katrina struck. Very few in the northeast. Kinda tell me that these assholes like to talk the talk but don't want to walk the walk. You would have thought that with all that caring pent up for those poor lost souls, that the dummies would have welcomed them with open arms. Not.

We did in Michigan, mostly because we knew if a disaster hit Detroit, the people there would be equally screwed.

Goldwater
07-29-2008, 08:42 AM
The whole point of the constitution was that a state could leave the union when the federal government over reached. Strange that liberals think this is more of a right than conservatives.

Although if it were a Democrat president there would probably be more conservatives than liberals and vice versa.

FeebMaster
07-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Strange that liberals think this is more of a right than conservatives.

Not at all. There's nothing a conservative likes more than protecting government power.

Although if it were a Democrat president there would probably be more conservatives than liberals and vice versa.

Probably, though it would be more from liberals voting against secession than conservatives voting for it.