PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Thread: Be Prepared

Rockntractor
12-06-2009, 12:22 AM
I don't know the temperature on The Mountain because, if all goes according to plan, I am(Bubba) in Thomasville Georgia this Sunday morning and my fellow Goat Roper Rockntractor is posting this for me. (Thanks Rock.)

The forecast was for snow showers Saturday (yesterday) on The Mountain but it all depends on how the precip and the cold temps moved through. I just hope to avoid freezing rain.

TOTD: Preparedness. This time of year, every year, I try out the generator, clean the chimneys on the oil lamps, make sure the propane tanks are full, check the flashlights and batteries, check the coolant/anit-freeze in the radiators of the vehicles and the tractor, and get ready for cold weather.

It really doesn't get that cold here compared to up North or out West, but we can have sleet or snow and lose power, or we can have an ice storm and really lose power. We were without power for six days once several years ago. Thing is, no power, no water if you use a well for water (we do and that's why we now have a generator for the well.).

We have emergency gas heat for each dwelling on the place and are all on the same well/water-line, and we can cook with gas, so no power means pretty much no electric lights, TV, internet, etc. Not really a big deal if you can cook, flush toilets, and stay warm.

We've also got a tractor and chainsaws to clear our driveway if there are trees across it.

We don't exactly live in the wilderness but we do live in the woods on a mountain and bad weather can really affect us.

So, TOTD, how do you prepare for bad weather, or earthquakes, or forest fires, or dust storms or urban riots or whatever it is you may conceivably have to face in the place where you live?

When you travel, what kinds of preparations do you make.

RobJohnson
12-06-2009, 12:38 AM
I worked six days this week, and I'm tired. :) I shopped for a few minutes Saturday night & took my mom out to dinner.

TOTD: I really don't need to do much here. Pipes are not insulated like they are other places, so just in case they say it's going to get really cold, I just let the water drip during the night to prevent frozen water in the pipes. This is like four days a year. :p

I did cover my outdoor plants the last two nights, as they are still in bloom. Yeah, flowers in December.

Rockntractor
12-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I am cleaning the chimney today and checking the heat tape where the water line is. The generator runs good and I have 5 gallons of gas on hand, also I have 5 pounds of chocolate 10 bottles of topping and 2 gallons of ice cream.

RobJohnson
12-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I am cleaning the chimney today and checking the heat tape where the water line is. The generator runs good and I have 5 gallons of gas on hand, also I have 5 pounds of chocolate 10 bottles of topping and 2 gallons of ice cream.

It sounds like you have all the bases covered.

I'll stop by for a dish.

BadCat
12-06-2009, 04:26 PM
What is this "bad weather" you speak of?

Big Guy
12-06-2009, 04:27 PM

MMMMMMM Ice Cream.

We experienced a severe ice storm in 94, we had no heat, no lights, no water, nothing, we werent prepared so we had to evacuate. I vowed never again.

I have a crank up radio, oil lamps, propane heaters, 3-20lb propane tanks (full), candles, a couple water purifiers and a couple cases of bottled water.

RobJohnson
12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
What is this "bad weather" you speak of?

When it drops below 70. :p