PDA

View Full Version : It's time for the BCS bitch bowl

MountainMan
12-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Yes, Im getting started early, even before the announcements. Who should play for the national championship? Well, by all accounts it should be Alabama verses Boise State.

Boise State decimated Nevada who had one of the highest rated offenses in all of college football last week. They are also 24-0 covering two seasons.

Texas? Fuck, they almost lost to Nebraska and have played some shitty games this year. BCS bowl bid for them? Sure but it sure as fuck shouldn't come close to playing for the national championship.

On a positive note, at least Florida wont be in it.

ralph wiggum
12-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Three undefeated teams will not even have the chance to play for the national title. That is a shame.

JB
12-06-2009, 03:50 PM
I read an article recently where no one wants to play Boise. Which puts them in a catch-22.

The critics say "Boise doesn't play a tough enough schedule to warrant the BCS". Whereas Boise replies "no BCS caliber teams want to play us".

And it's true.

OT to Wiggum: Create the Bowl Pick 'Em league when you get a chance.

ralph wiggum
12-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I read an article recently where no one wants to play Boise. Which puts them in a catch-22.

The critics say "Boise doesn't play a tough enough schedule to warrant the BCS". Whereas Boise replies "no BCS caliber teams want to play us".

And it's true.

I created it a week or so ago, I'll post the details when after the schedule is announced.

I don't know which match-up to root for in the non-championship game...sounds like the Fiesta will end up with a TCU/Boise rematch of last years' Poinsettia Bowl.

AmPat
12-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Seriously, Boise State? I really enjoy watching them but to go up against the likes of Fl, AL just because they're undefeated? That isn't fair to them. Boise State reminds me of BYU circa 1982??? They were Natl champs, undefeated, etc. They could have never defeated a good SEC team back then and as such never got any respect. This was when I began pining for a Natl Championship playoff.

MountainMan
12-06-2009, 04:37 PM

And it's true.

Would you after how they embarrassed Oklahoma a few years back? The other part of that is if you do agree to play Boise State, that means you actually have to have someone go to Idaho where it is a bit colder than those some of those "palm tree" teams are used too.

MountainMan
12-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Seriously, Boise State? I really enjoy watching them but to go up against the likes of Fl, AL just because they're undefeated? That isn't fair to them. Boise State reminds me of BYU circa 1982??? They were Natl champs, undefeated, etc. They could have never defeated a good SEC team back then and as such never got any respect. This was when I began pining for a Natl Championship playoff.

Yeah, seriously..... Until one of those steroid laden SEC freak shows actually man up and head north, Boise State deserves it's shot.

JB
12-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Seriously, Boise State? I really enjoy watching them but to go up against the likes of Fl, AL just because they're undefeated? That isn't fair to them. Boise State reminds me of BYU circa 1982??? They were Natl champs, undefeated, etc. They could have never defeated a good SEC team back then and as such never got any respect. This was when I began pining for a Natl Championship playoff.Isn't fair to whom?
Yeah, seriously..... Until one of those steroid laden SEC freak shows actually man up and head north, Boise State deserves it's shot.The SEC freaks don't even have to head north. Found the article:
RUSTON, La. – Is it cowardice or collusion?

Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier is all but begging for a major opponent – any major opponent – to play his Broncos, particularly in 2011. He can hardly get his calls returned. Not by the SEC. Not by the Big Ten. Not by anyone.

Bleymaier is making a nearly unheard of offer in college football scheduling – Boise will bring its popular, high-profile, top-10 team to any stadium in any town to play any big name team in America in 2011. And they don’t have to return the date in Idaho.

So far, no one has bit.

“It’s been surprising how many big schools have not been receptive of us coming to their place,” Bleymaier said.

The school acknowledges it needs to play tougher teams. Yet how can they beat quality opponents if quality opponents won’t play them?

“Some of those schools that are saying ‘let them play our schedule’ won’t play us,” Bleymaier said.

Maybe Florida and Texas don’t need a game with Boise (they can ride non-conference cupcakes to the title game). A middle of the pack Big Ten or Big 12 team certainly does though. Boise’s program is more famous than all of them – the Broncos are on true national television seven times this season alone.
<portions snipped>Is it cowardice or collusion?
(http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-boise110709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

AmPat
12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah, seriously..... Until one of those steroid laden SEC freak shows actually man up and head north, Boise State deserves it's shot.

Airplanes travel both directions.

The schedules are set around 5 years out I believe. If B.S. wants to play, they'll get their chance. Again, I like B.S. I wish them well. But they would get creamed in the middle of an SEC schedule.

AmPat
12-06-2009, 05:50 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-bcs102009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

If you’re a big-name program, it’s foolish to prove yourself outside of the mandated league games. A monster showdown might be fun to play in, but it isn’t proportionately rewarded by either the voters or the computers. All it does is open you up to a loss, an injury or an emotional letdown.;)

Space Gravy
12-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Would you after how they embarrassed Oklahoma a few years back? The other part of that is if you do agree to play Boise State, that means you actually have to have someone go to Idaho where it is a bit colder than those some of those "palm tree" teams are used too.

Not enough seats and money in Boise for that to happen. UT, UF and the like have 90K -100K gates at home games. You might get a series like UT and UCLA or Cal every so often to open the door for recruiting in CA.

Embarrassed? Didn't they beat them by a point in a game Oklahoma really didn't care about? See Alabama/Utah last year. I remember Boise State going to Athens a few years ago when they wanted to play the big boys and getting their asses handed to them. Work on getting into and playing well in a real conference like the Pac 10 and people will take you seriously.

MountainMan
12-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Not enough seats and money in Boise for that to happen. UT, UF and the like have 90K -100K gates at home games. You might get a series like UT and UCLA or Cal every so often to open the door for recruiting in CA.

Embarrassed? Didn't they beat them by a point in a game Oklahoma really didn't care about? See Alabama/Utah last year. I remember Boise State going to Athens a few years ago when they wanted to play the big boys and getting their asses handed to them. Work on getting into and playing well in a real conference like the Pac 10 and people will take you seriously.

They beat Oregon earlier in the year....you know, the Pac-10 conference winner.

Jfor
12-06-2009, 07:04 PM
If Boise State wants to be seriously considered for a national championship, then they ought to consider joining a BCS conference. Until then, they need to STFU about going undefeated and not getting a NC shot. Their conference is a joke. What do Alabama, Texas, Florida have to gain by playing a good mid-major conference team? Not a damn thing.

BTW... Roll Tide!

MountainMan
12-06-2009, 07:11 PM
If Boise State wants to be seriously considered for a national championship, then they ought to consider joining a BCS conference. Until then, they need to STFU about going undefeated and not getting a NC shot. Their conference is a joke. What do Alabama, Texas, Florida have to gain by playing a good mid-major conference team? Not a damn thing.

BTW... Roll Tide!

Apparently you missed the post that points out that your highly heralded SEC is avoiding playing the Broncos.....Heck, they even said that they wouldnt have to even go to Idaho for a second game...Guess it is just easier to avoid the Broncos than play them......

The athletic directors of the SEC are cowards.

Jfor
12-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Apparently you missed the post that points out that your highly heralded SEC is avoiding playing the Broncos.....Heck, they even said that they wouldnt have to even go to Idaho for a second game...Guess it is just easier to avoid the Broncos than play them......

Guess you missed the point about ANY SEC team not gaining a damn thing by playing them. Again, if they want to play for a NC, they need to get out of a mid-major conference. Until a playoff is put in place, there is no reason for ANY BCS school to play ANY mid-major team. Besides, even if Alabama were to schedule a game with Boise State, the game would not be played until well into the future. So call the wahhhh-bulance if you don't like it.

Space Gravy
12-06-2009, 07:53 PM
They beat Oregon earlier in the year....you know, the Pac-10 conference winner.

Oregon was a lot different team than they are now. Boise State would 8-4 or 7-5 if they played in a BCS conference.

Space Gravy
12-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Fox Sports is showing Boise State vs TCU in the Fiesta Bowl. I wonder if anyone other than alums will watch?

ralph wiggum
12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Fox Sports is showing Boise State vs TCU in the Fiesta Bowl. I wonder if anyone other than alums will watch?

Ban him! :mad:

:D

MountainMan
12-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Guess you missed the point about ANY SEC team not gaining a damn thing by playing them. Again, if they want to play for a NC, they need to get out of a mid-major conference. Until a playoff is put in place, there is no reason for ANY BCS school to play ANY mid-major team. Besides, even if Alabama were to schedule a game with Boise State, the game would not be played until well into the future. So call the wahhhh-bulance if you don't like it.

Two words for you SEC whores: Appalachian State.

It is obvious that the crooked SEC likes things they way they are because everyone knows that if they lost to a team like Boise State, they would immediately go into a free fall like Michigan has ever since that loss.

lacarnut
12-07-2009, 12:21 AM

That's why the SEC has had so many BCS championships in the last 5 or 6 years. Boisy needs to play quality teams. Otherwise, they are a joke.

You do no know quat about scheduling. It's done 4 or 5 years in advance. Tell you 1 reason why a SEC team does not want to play Boisy. Attendance. How many fans do you think would come from that rinky dink school to play AL, FL or LSU.

Jfor
12-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Two words for you SEC whores: Appalachian State.

It is obvious that the crooked SEC likes things they way they are because everyone knows that if they lost to a team like Boise State, they would immediately go into a free fall like Michigan has ever since that loss.

Wow... you obviously can't read or just playing stupid. So i will ask in capital letters, WHAT DOES ANY TEAM IN THE SEC HAVE TO GAIN BY PLAYING A BOISE STATE? If Bpise State wants to play BCS schools, they should join a BCS conference. Until there is a playoff, they can piss off with the rest of the wanna be's.

MountainMan
12-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Wow... you obviously can't read or just playing stupid. So i will ask in capital letters, WHAT DOES ANY TEAM IN THE SEC HAVE TO GAIN BY PLAYING A BOISE STATE? If Bpise State wants to play BCS schools, they should join a BCS conference. Until there is a playoff, they can piss off with the rest of the wanna be's.

It is called integrity...Something they obviously dont teach in the SEC.

What they have to gain is keeping their shitty BCS selection process but they know if they were to lose to a TCU or Boise State in a national championship game, the BCS system would implode...

But hey, continue defending your crooked conference...It just continues to cheapen the meaning of "national champions".

Jfor
12-07-2009, 01:10 AM

What they have to gain is keeping their shitty BCS selection process but they know if they were to lose to a TCU or Boise State in a national championship game, the BCS system would implode...

But hey, continue defending your crooked conference...It just continues to cheapen the meaning of "national champions".

Buddy, I am all for Bama playing a TCU or Boise State in the national championship. Your punk ass is the one talking about regular season game. What the BCS championship has to do with playing them in the regular season, I have no clue. Keep your damn juvenile argument on one track please.

lacarnut
12-07-2009, 01:45 AM

FL and LSU have 2 BCS Championships each. The SEC has the most bowl games wins with 12. The closest conference to the SEC is the Big 10 with 8.

Evidently stupidity is on the menu for Boisy followers like you. Why would the SEC want to play a rinky dink team like that and lose huge revenues when only a few followers from podunk college showed up.

If you want to play with the big boys, join a reputable conference and play some real teams.

marv
12-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Send the wife and kids to the movies, pop a cold one, turn the TV on, sit back and relax...

2009-10 BCS, college football bowl schedule (updated)
(All times Eastern)

Saturday, Dec. 19
4:30: New Mexico (Albuquerque): Wyoming vs. Fresno State – ESPN
8:00: St. Petersburg: Rutgers vs. Central Florida – ESPN

Sunday, Dec. 20
8:30: New Orleans: Southern Mississippi vs. Middle Tennessee – ESPN

Tuesday, Dec. 22
8:00: Las Vegas: Brigham Young vs. Oregon State – ESPN

Wednesday, Dec. 23
8:00: Poinsettia (San Diego): Utah vs. California – ESPN

Thursday, Dec. 24
8:00: Hawaii: Southern Methodist vs. Nevada – ESPN

Saturday, Dec. 26
1:00: Little Caesar’s (Detroit): Marshall vs. Ohio U. – ESPN
4:30: Meineke Car Care (Charlotte): Pittsburgh vs. North Carolina – ESPN
8:00: Emerald (San Francisco): Boston College vs. Southern Cal – ESPN

Sunday, Dec. 27
8:30: Music City (Nashville, Tenn.): Clemson vs. Kentucky – ESPN

Monday, Dec. 28
5:00: Independence (Shreveport, La.): Texas A&M vs. Georgia – ESPN2

Tuesday, Dec. 29
4:30: EagleBank (Washington): Temple vs. Army or UCLA – ESPN
8:00: Champs Sports (Orlando): Miami (Fla.) vs. Wisconsin — ESPN

Wednesday, Dec. 30
4:30: Humanitarian (Boise, Idaho): Bowling Green vs. Idaho – ESPN
8:00: Holiday (San Diego): Nebraska vs. Arizona – ESPN

Thursday, Dec. 31
12:00: Armed Forces (Fort Worth, Texas): Air Force vs. Houston – ESPN
2:00: Sun (El Paso, Texas): Stanford vs. Oklahoma – CBS
3:30: Texas (Houston): Missouri vs. Navy – ESPN
6:00: Insight (Tempe, Ariz.): Minnesota vs. Iowa State – NFL
7:30: Chick-fil-A (Atlanta): Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee – ESPN

Friday, Jan. 1
11 a.m.: Outback (Tampa): Northwestern vs. Auburn – ESPN
1:00: Capital One (Orlando): Penn State vs. LSU – ABC
1:00: Gator (Jacksonville): Florida State vs. West Virginia – CBS
4:30: Rose (Pasadena, Calif.): Ohio State vs. Oregon – ABC
8:30: Sugar (New Orleans): Florida vs. Cincinnati – Fox

Saturday, Jan. 2
12:00: International (Toronto): South Florida vs. Northern Illinois – ESPN2
2:00: Papa Johns (Birmingham): Connecticut vs. South Carolina – ESPN
2:00: Cotton (Arlington, Texas): Oklahoma State vs. Mississippi – Fox
5:30: Liberty (Memphis, Tenn.): East Carolina vs. Arkansas – ESPN
9:00: Alamo (San Antonio): Michigan State vs. Texas Tech – ESPN

Monday, Jan. 4
8:00: Fiesta (Glendale, Ariz.): Boise State vs. Texas Christian – Fox

Tuesday, Jan. 5
8:00: Orange (Miami): Georgia Tech vs. Iowa – Fox

Wednesday, Jan. 6
7:00: GMAC (Mobile, Ala.): Troy vs. Central Michigan – ESPN

Thursday, Jan. 7
8:00: BCS National Championship Game: (Pasadena) Alabama vs. Texas – ABC

http://users.mo-net.com/mcruzan/avatars/longhorns.gif

Molon Labe
12-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Texas will meet a real powerhouse very soon.

AmPat
12-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Those sorry weak SEC teams have 10 Bowl games this year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AGAIN!

They must be doing something VERY wrong.:rolleyes:

I get the arguments. I actually agree with some of them. I have a question:

Do you believe that Boise State could make it through a full season schedule in the SEC (East OR West Division, your choice ), without a loss?

AmPat
12-08-2009, 06:59 PM
**Theme from jepardy Plays in background** Crickets heard outside,,,,, Waiting,,,,,,:confused:

MountainMan
12-08-2009, 11:46 PM
**Theme from jepardy Plays in background** Crickets heard outside,,,,, Waiting,,,,,,:confused:I didn't know I had a time limit...:rolleyes:

Here is what we do know that no teams from the crooked SEC want to play either Boise State or TCU for that matter.

As for going undefeated in any division is tough, not just the SEC however, Boise State is 24-0 the last two years.

And I think some podunk university beat Alabama last year, didn't they? Oh yeah, that was Utah. And in case you forgot, here is the link. (http://blog.nola.com/tpsports/2009/01/alabama_vs_utah_in_the_sugar_b.html)

Correction, they were 25-1 with their only loss coming last year in the crappy bowl game they were allowed to play in.

ralph wiggum
12-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Correction, they were 25-1 with their only loss coming last year in the crappy bowl game they were allowed to play in.

I wonder which team they lost to in the Poinsettia Bowl last year.....

MountainMan
12-09-2009, 12:00 AM
I wonder which team they lost to in the Poinsettia Bowl last year.....

TCU

MountainMan
12-09-2009, 12:02 AM
The YumaSun has the best article on the tragedy that is the BCS this year.

Even in victory, non-BCS schools can't win.

The good news for those who love non-BCS conferences: Both TCU and Boise State made the Fiesta Bowl, and take about 5,000 firsts with them. It's the first time two non-BCS schools play in a Bowl Championship Series contest; it's the first time a non-BCS school received an at-large bid (Boise State was selected by the Fiesta Bowl to play, whereas TCU earned an automatic berth based on their BCS standing); it's the first time two teams from conferences without automatic bids to the BCS have qualified for the BCS in the same season; and it's the first time two undefeated teams meet in a non-championship game

Link (http://www.yumasun.com/sports/bcs-54745-boise-tcu.html)

MountainMan
12-09-2009, 12:06 AM
And for what it is worth, I have always admired Alabama. I watched them growing up in Montana for gods sake.

However, Texas should be nowhere near the Championship this year.

lacarnut
12-09-2009, 01:03 AM
TCU

Attendance at the Poinsettia Bowl last year was 34,000. A number of SEC teams fill the stadium up every game with over 90,000 fans. In other words, almost triple what a Podunk college like Boisy would draw. The state high school championship garners 34k in the Superdome. Plus, I like I said schedules are made 4 and 5 years in advance.

AmPat
12-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I didn't know I had a time limit...:rolleyes:

Here is what we do know that no teams from the crooked SEC want to play either Boise State or TCU for that matter.

As for going undefeated in any division is tough, not just the SEC however, Boise State is 24-0 the last two years.

And I think some podunk university beat Alabama last year, didn't they? Oh yeah, that was Utah. And in case you forgot, here is the link. (http://blog.nola.com/tpsports/2009/01/alabama_vs_utah_in_the_sugar_b.html)

Here's a rudder, steer this back to the question. What do you think TCU or Boise State would do in the middle of an SEC season? How many 25-1 runs or undefeated seasons would you predict? Of course any BCS conference is tough. I'm proposing a hypothetical to illuminate the strength differences between B.S. and say, FL, AL, TN, LSU, GA, ???
There are other considerations you have ignored. 1. The SEC has huge spectator draw. TN seats 107,000 and draws 100,000 regardless the team they play. 2. The scedules are made years in advance. I hope to see B.S. on some big team's schedules in a few years when schedules are made. Until then, it is hardly fair to say big teams are dodging anybody. That borders on DUmmy strategy of changing history because it doesn't fit your beliefs.

Rebel Yell
12-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Until then, it is hardly fair to say big teams are dodging anybody. That borders on DUmmy strategy of changing history because it doesn't fit your beliefs.

Except in the case of Florida. They will dodge any nonconference opponent that could beat them in any given year, except FSU. Just ask any Miami fan if Florida will play anyone OOC. They dropped is in the early 80's, when we rose to power. We finally played a regular season game in Gainesville last year, with a return game in Miami in 2013. Rumor has it they are already trying to buy their way out of that game.

AmPat
12-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Except in the case of Florida. They will dodge any nonconference opponent that could beat them in any given year, except FSU. Just ask any Miami fan if Florida will play anyone OOC. They dropped is in the early 80's, when we rose to power. We finally played a regular season game in Gainesville last year, with a return game in Miami in 2013. Rumor has it they are already trying to buy their way out of that game.

Miami had a chance to join the expanding SEC. So did FSU. They both declined. These teams didn't join the most powerful football conference but eventually joined a weaker football conference. Now these two struggle yearly to get the records of yesteryear. This is what I suggest would be the fate of Boise State. They would not have the success they have now if they were planted in the middle of the SEC.