PDA

View Full Version : Lesbian elected Episcopal bishop in L.A.

megimoo
12-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Canon Mary D. Glasspool of the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland was elected bishop on Saturday in a close race against a Los Angeles-area Hispanic cleric, making her the Episcopal Church's first openly lesbian bishop.

It was not until the seventh ballot that Ms. Glasspool, 55, an Annapolis resident, captured the election for the second of two suffragan-bishop positions in the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles, beating the Rev. Irineo Martir Vasquez of St. George's Church in Hawthorne, Calif., and four other candidates.

The 2.1-million-member denomination paved the way for her election last summer when it lifted a moratorium on electing gay bishops after the election of New Hampshire Bishop V. Gene Robinson six years ago caused a split in the 70-million-member Anglican Communion.

The majority of world Anglicanism opposes openly homosexual clergy, and a majority of Anglican bishops voted against allowing them at the 1998 Lambeth Conference of Anglican Bishops in Canterbury, England.

But the U.S. Episcopal Church ignored that sanction, selecting Bishop Robinson in 2003, causing an estimated 100,000 Episcopalians to flee the denomination to more conservative churches. Four dioceses also have pulled out of the denomination in protest. They and an estimated 60 churches are entangled in lawsuits with the Episcopal Church in a fight to keep millions of dollars' worth of property and real estate.

Ms. Glasspool had 153 clergy votes, with 123 needed to win, and 203 lay votes, with 193 needed to win. Mr. Vasquez had 87 clergy votes and 177 lay votes.

Soon after her victory was announced at about 2:45 p.m. Pacific time, she appeared on stage in front of delegates at the Riverside Convention Center with her partner of 21 years, Becki Sander.

"Gracias con todo mi corazon," she said to a standing ovation. "Thank you with all my heart. It is such an honor and a privilege to be among you wonderful people of the Diocese of Los Angeles. I'm deeply and forever grateful for the trust you've shown in me ... ."

Before she can be consecrated on May 15, 2010, she will need consents from a majority of the country's 100 domestic Episcopal dioceses.

It was a weekend of firsts for the 70,000-member Los Angeles Diocese, which before this weekend never had a female bishop in its 114-year history despite the Episcopal Church having had women in the episcopate since 1988.

Then on Friday, the Rev. Diane M. Jardine Bruce, a San Clemente, Calif., priest, was elected for the first suffragan position by about 800 delegates.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/dec/06/lesbian-elected-episcopal-bishop-in-los-angeles/?feat=home_headlines

enslaved1
12-07-2009, 12:07 AM
I've never dug into any of the gay/lesbian clergy stories, and I don't see it mentioned in this one, but I have long wondered if they are gay or actively gay. If the former it is not quite as huge an issue (still an issue) but if the latter how in the world can any church doublethink their way into endorsing it?

Hazey
12-07-2009, 02:13 AM
I left the Lutheran church years ago, because of the love the sinner and the sin stand they take.
The Episcopals seem to be more of the same.

Constitutionally Speaking
12-07-2009, 07:07 AM
I left the Lutheran church years ago, because of the love the sinner and the sin stand they take.
The Episcopals seem to be more of the same.

What stand is that???:confused:

FlaGator
12-07-2009, 07:56 AM
I've never dug into any of the gay/lesbian clergy stories, and I don't see it mentioned in this one, but I have long wondered if they are gay or actively gay. If the former it is not quite as huge an issue (still an issue) but if the latter how in the world can any church doublethink their way into endorsing it?

The belief is that a celebite homosexual is showing repentence of their sins, they are still homosexual but by resisting they are obeying the will of the Lord. Much like as an alcoholic, I will always be an alcoholic even thought the Lord has taken that desire from me.

As for a practicing homosexual... you got me there. They seem to be reinterpreting scripture in a way that runs counter to the Gospel. They toss out what is contrary to what they want to believe and keep with they believe upholds their desires. Basically the National leadership of the Episcopal Church has constructed their own golden calf and are now calling others to worship it. The faithful in the Episcopal Church are speaking against it or turning to other Churches to hear and share the Logos.

Gingersnap
12-07-2009, 10:43 AM

They are actively sexual now. The party line is that gay clergy can live with their "partners" and even obtain recognition of their liaison as long as they don't play footsie at home with each other but only the super retarded Anglicans in the U.K. actually believe that one. It's like the Bizarro World of Christianity.

noonwitch
12-07-2009, 12:26 PM
I can't believe that there are any conservatives left in the Episcopalian church that will bolt over this newest outrage. They've been ordaining openly gay people as priests for over 20 years.