PDA

View Full Version : Just Say No To 'Heavage'.

Gingersnap
12-07-2009, 12:49 PM
PAGE ONE DECEMBER 4, 2009

More Men Have Something They Want to Get Off Their Chests -- Their Shirts
Unbuttoned or Plunging, 'Heavage' Is Back; No '70s Hair Carpets, Please, Wisps Only

By RAY A. SMITH
Man cleavage -- plunging necklines slit open to reveal chest hair, pectoral muscles, maybe more -- is back.

Until recently, male décolletage was an androgynous fashion affectation limited mainly to sporadic appearances on European runways. But the look, including deep V-necks and scoop-neck tops, hit the U.S. in full force at New York's September Fashion Week, turning up at shows by Duckie Brown, Michael Bastian and Yigal Azrouël.

If the fall runway shows were any indication, men's necklines are taking a plunge. WSJ's Ray Smith lets you know how far to go, and weighs in on the issue of chest hair.
This time around, the styles were more blatantly sexual and the models had a more studly swagger. New York designer Mr. Bastian said his show's vibe was inspired in part by "Latin guys" he noticed wearing their shirts unbuttoned, as well as the unabashed machismo of Latin American men in general. "We wanted to go back to a more natural body, a more '70s body with the models, getting away from the super skinny," says Mr. Bastian.

On HBO's hit series "True Blood," 29-year-old ex-model Mehcad Brooks rarely went an episode without removing his shirt. Mr. Brooks also frequently displays his perfect pecs off-screen, wearing rib-hugging T's with deep V-necks or shirts with the top buttons suggestively undone.

"Even if people were making fun of me, calling me 'Miami Vice' like they used to in college, I would still wear it," says the 6-foot-4, 215-pound actor. "It feels comfortable and I like the way it looks. If you can pull off three buttons undone, then do it."

Other fans of the look include actors Jude Law and Ed Westwick, who've been snapped showing off their man cleavage -- or "heavage," as one style writer dubbed it.

"Harper's Bazaar's Stephen Gan is working the new male cleavage in a low-cut T-shirt; it's called 'heavage,'" tweeted Hilary Alexander, fashion director of Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper, in early October while at a runway show in Paris.

Mr. Gan, who, aptly enough, is also the editor of a magazine called "V," says, "I think I'm allowed to dress this way."

Guys, I'm telling you this with love: keep your shirt on and your buttons done up. If a guy just happens to be mowing the lawn in July or participating in a dramatic water rescue and he's shirtless, he has the potential to be hot. If a guy is just wandering around with chest hairs in view for no particular reason, he will look gay to most women and to all other men.

WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125980303001573939.html?mod=rss_whats_news_us)

patriot45
12-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Guys, I'm telling you this with love: keep your shirt on and your buttons done up. If a guy just happens to be mowing the lawn in July or participating in a dramatic water rescue and he's shirtless, he has the potential to be hot. If a guy is just wandering around with chest hairs in view for no particular reason, he will look gay to most women and to all other men.

WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125980303001573939.html?mod=rss_whats_news_us)

Hehe, I've been known to scare little children and the elderly whilst shirtless! :D

bijou
12-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Heavage, not good.

http://www.kimbell-associates.com/Chiefs%20Site/moobs.jpg

ralph wiggum
12-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Heavage, not good.

I could have used a spork alert for that one, Bijou.

lacarnut
12-07-2009, 03:43 PM
I was never impressed with the heavage and gold chains back in the 80's. The dudes looked fruit to me. My shirts are always buttoned up to the top.

SaintLouieWoman
12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
I was never impressed with the heavage and gold chains back in the 80's. The dudes looked fruit to me. My shirts are always buttoned up to the top.

Not impressed with gold chains and certainly not with heavage. :eek:

Edited: Other than SR's. He has an impressive gold chain. I don't like them, but his chain is nice, I guess. In the conservative Midwest, not that many gold chains still around. :D

SarasotaRepub
12-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Not impressed with gold chains and certainly not with heavage. :eek:

Edited: Other than SR's. He has an impressive gold chain. I don't like them, but his chain is nice, I guess. In the conservative Midwest, not that many gold chains still around. :D

HEY!!! :mad:

That gold chain is my emergency money babe. ;)

Bubba Dawg
12-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Gold chains are very fashionable. :mad:

I wear one.

Goldwater
12-07-2009, 08:40 PM
HEY!!! :mad:

That gold chain is my emergency money babe. ;)

Gold chains are very fashionable. :mad:

I wear one.

Well aren't you two a bunch of straight up G's.

Bubba Dawg
12-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Well aren't you two a bunch of straight up G's.

Hey, we go goat roping together. :mad:

Rock too.

Manly stuff. :p

lurkalot
12-07-2009, 10:34 PM
why doesn't anyone ever warn "do not read while attempting to eat a sammich"
:mad:

stsinner
12-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I'd trade having to see other guys' chest hair for not having to see the retarded kids with their pants completely down off their ass and their underwear showing.. How they can think this is cool is so far beyond me...

Bubba Dawg
12-08-2009, 08:34 PM
why doesn't anyone ever warn "do not read while attempting to eat a sammich"
:mad:

Is it heavage or girth or goat roping or gold chains that is troubling? :p

I mean, it sounds like a typical Saturday Night for you.

lurkalot
12-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Is it heavage or girth or goat roping or gold chains that is troubling? :p

I mean, it sounds like a typical Saturday Night for you.

What kind of woman do you think I am? What must the newbies think of me? :mad:
Saturday night is quality time with the boyfriend.
Sunday night is family night.

It would be a typical Friday night you dork! :rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
12-08-2009, 09:38 PM
What kind of woman do you think I am? What must the newbies think of me? :mad:
Saturday night is quality time with the boyfriend.
Sunday night is family night.

It would be a typical Friday night you dork! :rolleyes:

Dang. I always get it wrong.

But I thought Friday night was Bingo at the Elks Club?

You know, BPOE and all that. :D

lurkalot
12-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Dang. I always get it wrong.

But I thought Friday night was Bingo at the Elks Club?

You know, BPOE and all that. :D

Bingo is over at eight, earlier if Vernon drops the balls...
you know, sometimes I wonder if you ever really listen to me at all...:(

Bubba Dawg
12-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Bingo is over at eight, earlier if Vernon drops the balls...
you know, sometimes I wonder if you ever really listen to me at all...:(

That's right, bring up Vernon's dropping balls again. :mad:

ralph wiggum
12-08-2009, 09:46 PM
This thread has taken a weird turn. :eek:

Shannon
12-08-2009, 09:48 PM
This thread has taken a weird turn. :eek:

It involves Lurk and Bubba. Of course it took a weird turn.:rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
12-08-2009, 09:59 PM
It involves Lurk and Bubba. Of course it took a weird turn.:rolleyes:

Hey, Lurkie and i are two of the most normal people you'll ever meet.....

ralph wiggum
12-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey, Lurkie and i are two of the most normal people you'll ever meet.....

I know about Lurk. I don't know about you, though. :D

Bubba Dawg
12-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I know about Lurk. I don't know about you, though. :D

Hey, I'll bet Rock will vouch for me.....:cool:

Yo...Rock.....Rock......where you at........???

Rock....?????/:eek:

lurkalot
12-08-2009, 10:15 PM
That's right, bring up Vernon's dropping balls again. :mad:

If the man wants to pursue a professional bingo calling career he has to quit stuttering and stop dropping his balls! Otherwise its just gonna be a road to a heartache for him....

Bubba Dawg
12-08-2009, 10:24 PM
If the man wants to pursue a professional bingo calling career he has to quit stuttering and stop dropping his balls! Otherwise its just gonna be a road to a heartache for him....

Hey, his stuttering is what causes all the Friday Night Fights at the Elks club and you know that has to be, like, 70% of the entertainment. Plus, it's his trademark.

Stop being a Stuttering Vernon Bingo Ball Buster. The guy has a unique talent.

lurkalot
12-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Hey, his stuttering is what causes all the Friday Night Fights at the Elks club and you know that has to be, like, 70% of the entertainment. Plus, it's his trademark.

Stop being a Stuttering Vernon Bingo Ball Buster. The guy has a unique talent.

I'm just sayin' any guy who continues to get up there night after night and tries to say B five without getting the crap beat out of him ain't really that bright!

Bubba Dawg
12-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm just sayin' any guy who continues to get up there night after night and tries to say B five without getting the crap beat out of him ain't really that bright!

Well.....I never said he was bright. Only....determined.

lurkalot
12-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Well.....I never said he was bright. Only....determined.

I think he's related to you isn't he?

Bubba Dawg
12-08-2009, 10:57 PM
I think he's related to you isn't he?

Vernon is a cousin, six times removed.....the police say before they will remove him again I have to get a restraining order.

I've heard that one B-4......

Rockntractor
12-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Vernon is a cousin, six times removed.....the police say before they will remove him again I have to get a restraining order.

Bubba! Your still awake?

Bubba Dawg
12-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Bubba! Your still awake?

No. Oh wait.....:eek:

lurkalot
12-08-2009, 11:07 PM

I told you when you bought that color tv all the riff raff would be on your trailer steps, but did you listen? Noooo you had to go and get all fancy, and now you are kicking out poor stuttering ball dropping cousin Vern...

Bubba Dawg
12-08-2009, 11:31 PM
I told you when you bought that color tv all the riff raff would be on your trailer steps, but did you listen? Noooo you had to go and get all fancy, and now you are kicking out poor stuttering ball dropping cousin Vern...

I will always be loyal to Cousin Vern...except for any...meaningful...way...

I mean, Family is Family....:cool:

Nobody puts Baby in a corner.....

BSR
12-09-2009, 08:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6cg4zw1s0k

Rockntractor
12-09-2009, 08:05 PM
BSR I remember you from somewhere. Welcome!:D

ralph wiggum
12-10-2009, 12:27 AM
BSR I remember you from somewhere. Welcome!:D

ROFL, I just noticed BSR's custom title. :D