PDA

View Full Version : Anybody watching "Hoarders"? This Is Beyond Sad.

Gingersnap
12-07-2009, 10:47 PM
One woman almost lost her legs because infections from filth. The other one had her goats eat through her wall. :(

linda22003
12-08-2009, 08:30 AM
The one with the goats wasn't in Oklahoma, was she? :cool:

Rebel Yell
12-08-2009, 08:47 AM
I saw the first 3 minutes of it, after the Intervention I DVR'd. I recorded Hoarders at 2am, so I'll catch it tonight.

Off topic, but did you see Intervention? One of the few times the subject actually seemed like a good person who got hooked. The only other one I remember is Hubert, the homeless drunk.

noonwitch
12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I had to deal with some hoarders in a professional capacity at times, and once with one of my mom's friends. My paternal grandmother had a limited hoarding problem-she always had one room of her house that no one was allowed to enter. My dad said it was where she kept all her craft things (she ran senior groups for the UMC, so she was always finding craft activities for them to do), and that it was all piled up (mostly) in boxes from wall to wall.

Almost universally, they are people with real, biologically-based depression and are in need of medication. It's usually women, and they are also usually not child abusers. They are frequently grieving for a loved one, from whom they have inherited a whole bunch of crap and they can't bear the thought of throwing any of that person's things out.

Usually, what they need in addition to counseling is community involvement. Between the depression and the habits of hoarding, they are embarrassed and isolated from the community. The most successful case I had involved church intervention and coordination of work with the mental health agency, in that the client was a non-practicing catholic, and by her making contact with the church in her neighborhood, she was able to find people to help her deal with both the house and her isolation. There are a couple of parishes in Detroit that are very strong community anchors, and network well with community mental health and CFS.

Gingersnap
12-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I think any depression is a more or less predictable side-effect from the consequences of hoarding. Today they seem to mostly think that hoarding is on the OCD continuum (not my side of the continuum, obviously). They use CBT to treat it. It's an anxiety issue, really. These people begin to panic when they think about discarding objects. Sometimes it's guilt over an object that could potentially be put to use and sometimes it's guilt over mistaking the object for a past emotional connection.

I think it's probably harder to treat hoarding than it is to treat its opposite expression. :(

linda22003
12-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Today they seem to mostly think that hoarding is on the OCD continuum (not my side of the continuum, obviously). They use CBT to treat it.

I only know one thing for which CBT is an acronym; it seems like a severe treatment, and would only work on male hoarders. :eek:

Gingersnap
12-08-2009, 10:44 AM
I only know one thing for which CBT is an acronym; it seems like a severe treatment, and would only work on male hoarders. :eek:

Cognative Behavioral Therapy. :p

FlaGator
12-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I can not watch that show. I know of a woman who is a hoarder. She lived in a trailer until she filled it up. She inherited some cash then bought a two story house which she is now filling up. She kept the trailer.

noonwitch
12-08-2009, 12:12 PM
I can not watch that show. I know of a woman who is a hoarder. She lived in a trailer until she filled it up. She inherited some cash then bought a two story house which she is now filling up. She kept the trailer.

One of my mom's friends is like that-she lives in California. She keeps buying stuff she doesn't need, and her house was always packed wall-to-wall with furniture and she had three cats and a dog. The stuff was so crammed in, the cats could no longer be effective at what they do best-kill mice. On top of that, she would cry if she did hear one of the cats doing his job, because she felt badly for the mice.

Speedy
12-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Did not see it yesterday (was playing Halo online) but I saw it last week. The lady was so bad last week that they found two, TWO, not one but TWO mummified cats under all the garbage and her dentures that she had not seen in years.

linda22003
12-08-2009, 01:36 PM
not one but TWO mummified cats under all the garbage and her dentures that she had not seen in years.

I hope she didn't just pop them back into her mouth. :eek: I watch "Clean House" sometimes and even when they don't have the winner of "The Messiest Home in America" you can tell they are dealing with some very weird pathologies.

Gingersnap
12-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I hope she didn't just pop them back into her mouth. :eek: I watch "Clean House" sometimes and even when they don't have the winner of "The Messiest Home in America" you can tell they are dealing with some very weird pathologies.

'Clean House' doesn't do squalor, though. Just clutter. "How Clean Is Your House' (the Brit show) does squalor. :eek:

linda22003
12-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Oh, I've seen Aggie and Kim. Clean House has found dead and live rodents in some of the "clutter", though. <shiver>

Speedy
12-08-2009, 02:25 PM
I hope she didn't just pop them back into her mouth. :eek:

She was going to but one of the cleaners grabbed her arm shouting, "No! No! No!." These people's thought process is not right.

ralph wiggum
12-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Just the promos for that show scare me. I don't think I could watch it.

Yet I don't mind watching Intervention. Yeah, I'm weird that way.

Rockntractor
12-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Walmart had sweet potato's for .20 per pound I just bought 50 pounds. I have enough food for two years. I'm not a hoarder just well stocked!

Rockntractor
12-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Oh, I've seen Aggie and Kim. Clean House has found dead and live rodents in some of the "clutter", though. <shiver>

Everyone has some live rodents in their house whether they know it or not. Yours are probably better educated than most though and exhibit better manners.