PDA

View Full Version : Obamas Balked at White House Nativity Scene

megimoo
12-07-2009, 11:27 PM
The widely circulated e-mail claiming that the Obama White House was putting up a "holiday tree," bereft of religiously themed ornaments, in place of the traditional Christmas tree has been roundly debunked (see factcheck.org and snopes.com, the latter of which includes video of First Lady Michelle Obama taking delivery of a clearly labeled "White House Christmas Tree 2009").

But a New York Times profile of Desirée Rogers, the currently embattled White House social secretary, suggests there was at least some discussion about backing away from Christmas tradition this year -- not as it involved the tree, but a Nativity scene.

When former social secretaries gave a luncheon to welcome Ms. Rogers earlier this year, one participant said, she surprised them by suggesting the Obamas were planning a “non-religious Christmas”

— "How does one make the birth of the Christ non-religious ?"

snip

The lunch conversation inevitably turned to whether the White House would display its crèche, customarily placed in a prominent spot in the East Room.

Ms. Rogers, this participant said, replied that the Obamas did not intend to put the manger scene on display — a remark that drew an audible gasp from the tight-knit social secretary sisterhood.

(A White House official confirmed that there had been internal discussions about making Christmas more inclusive and whether to display the crèche.)

Yet in the end, tradition won out; the executive mansion is now decorated for the Christmas holiday, and the crèche is in its usual East Room spot.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/faith/2009/12/report_obamas_balked_at_wh_nat.html
Comments:

Lord, aren't the Obamas boring? Can't stand to be upstaged by a Mother and child!
Posted by: Oneofthesheep | December 7, 2009 6:26 PM

One year down, three to go. What a mistake I made voting for Comrade Zero and his merry band of pickpockets.

Posted by: Two thousand ten come soon! | December 7, 2009 6:35 PM

This post is misleading. It seems to suggest the Obama WH did not display the manger, when in fact, at least according to the article; while they may have "balked" initially, they eventually caved and displayed it anyway.

They should have kept balking. Mythology and superstition have no place in government. Whatever happened to separation of church and state?
Posted by: zelmn | December 7, 2009 6:37 PM
zelmn, the manger is America. You are a threat to my country.

Posted by: KansasGirl | December 7, 2009 6:50 PM

Hi

I have little belief in Obama's real beliefs. When he says :God Bless America", I am wondering if he really means it.

Joseph J Wagner

AmPat
12-08-2009, 06:56 PM
They should have kept balking. Mythology and superstition have no place in government. Whatever happened to separation of church and state?Stpidity, incompetence and ignorance have no place either, but O Blah Blah is the president anyway. As for "Separation of Church and State", show it to me in the Constitution Dimwit.

noonwitch
12-09-2009, 08:46 AM
They put it up, so there really is no story here.

This is creative news journalism-they are trying to create some kind of scandal when there is none.

Sonnabend
12-09-2009, 04:43 PM
One year down, three to go. What a mistake I made voting for Comrade Zero and his merry band of pickpockets.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johvale
12-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Because we are a mostly muslum nation don't cha know.