PDA

View Full Version : Yay!!! New Kitchen !!

hampshirebrit
12-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Sort of a continuation of the original whiny-zone thread, but with a good outcome.

We're nearly there, just a few minor finishing touches to be sorted by the end of the week. The granite went in yesterday, and the gas supply to the range was connected. Yesterday, the first decent dinner for five weeks - yay, no more civvy MRE microwaved shite in this home. :D

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01605.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01609.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01603.jpg

It's taken an age, but it was worth waiting on.

Got some artwork to hang on the opposite wall later this week, then I'll show you the other side.

linda22003
12-08-2009, 05:28 PM
That's gorgeous. A VERY bold red, but there's enough white to set it off.

Are those.... ALL of your cookbooks? :eek:

Rockntractor
12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Is the first picture the tea making area and where is the sink?

Jumpy
12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Gorgeous!!

Gingersnap
12-08-2009, 06:50 PM
It's beautiful! :D

Bubba Dawg
12-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Nice going Hamps. Good colors. Plenty of counter and cabinet space.

Nice toaster too!!!

linda22003
12-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Is the first picture the tea making area and where is the sink?

In the first picture, the sink is on the left just in front of the toaster. See the grooved counter space at the bottom of the picture? That's where the dish drainer goes.

bijou
12-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Looks great, love the Dualit toaster you trendy thing! :D

lacarnut
12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Looks great. I am impressed.

SaintLouieWoman
12-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I love the clean, contemporary look. Greyt decorating job. It's very sleek.

patriot45
12-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Way to go, looks sharp! Killer lighting.
Can't wait for some action photos with food!! :D

Rockntractor
12-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Way to go, looks sharp! Killer lighting.
Can't wait for some action photos with food!! :D
English don't cook they heat up tea and biscuits and go to the pub for meals made from organ meats!

noonwitch
12-09-2009, 03:20 PM
You did a great job on it.

I live in a bungalow, with a little kitchen. I see that and think about all the great meals I could make in a kitchen that size-counter space is limited in my house.

Big Guy
12-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Nice, you defnately have plent of light.

Teetop
12-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Wonderful!

I hope your wait was worth it. :D

Rockntractor
12-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Hampster where the hell are you? Are you sending your posts one a day by carrier pigeon?:confused:

hampshirebrit
12-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Wonderful!

I hope your wait was worth it. :D

Thanks for all the good feedback. The wait was definitely worth it. I wasn't really sure about the color matching until a few days ago (about a month into the build) but I think we got it right.

The red wall was the outcome of four iterations of testing different shades. It was quite hard to match it up, and it took a long time to settle on the right one, and the choice had to be weighted in terms of available natural and artificial lighting. It also took two undercoats and four topcoats to get it right...it looked crap for the first two, and it could still do with a fifth, although after the fourth, it has a real depth and stability to it.

The granite surface is stunning. The images I've posted barely do it justice. I am really glad that the sales guy talked me out of going for black granite tops (the cliched Brit choice, apparently ... everyone goes for black). The colour gradation and variance on this colour of granite is far more interesting visually than black would ever have been, albeit at the cost (worthwhile) of limiting the available colour matching options. The funny thing is that the guy sold it to me on the basis that that particular granite was coming to its EOPR, so I got it for a fraction of what it should have cost, like a tenth of the cost, literally. When I went to the factory last week to see it being cut, mine was about the only one they were not doing in black. I originally wanted black tops, the sales guy sold me this, and this is better, way better. Sometimes the sales guy really does know best.

Only probem is, now the rest of the home is going to have to live up to the new kitchen standard. :D

LindaNumbers is right on the sink position, exactly right. Here, that's called a Belfast sink. Big ole deep ceramic sink like my granny used to have. They're hand made, very much "in" now, because of the depth they have, good for pre-soaking things destined for the dishwasher. I think I have one half-buried in my back garden, full of frogs last time I checked a couple years back.

Lacarnut and others, you guys were absolutely right ... although it's been a total PITA in the getting-there, it's been completely worth it.

hampshirebrit
12-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Hampster where the hell are you? Are you sending your posts one a day by carrier pigeon?:confused:

Sorry dude. You have no idea how time-consuming kitchen refits are.

Hope it makes you feel good, the first thing I cooked in the new kuche was piggy:

Lumache pasta
A lemon (or part thereof)
A bunch of good quality smoked bacon
A goodly sized pot of Crème fraîche
Frozen peas ... say a half to two thirds a cup per person
Fresh ground pepper
this is really important, as it won't work without it: A bunch of fresh mint, finely chopped.
Olive oil
A knifeful of butter

Method:

Get a pan boiling with a wee bit of salt (not much, we are cooking bacon, after all) and then dump the lumache into it. Cover, and once it's boiling, turn the gas down and then ignore it completely until further instructed. Put extra water in to cover over-runs and unexpected phone calls.

While the pasta is doing, chop the bacon to little bits, on a chopping board, with the aid of a very sharp knife. Cut it into really small pieces. This should take about 4 minutes if you have a sharp knife and you are reasonably sober.

Get a good skillet, put it on the hob, light that bitch up, dump the EVOO in it, let it get angry, then dump the butter into the pan and let it get angrier. You'll know what I mean ... the butter will have a higher water content than the EVOO, so it will fizzle like a mofo. Then dump the bacon in, and immediately follow that with the pepper. Bacon and pepper combined will fizzle like a mofo plus, and fill your kitchen with an almost unbearably good smell.

If you have canines in your house, now will be a good time to get your significant other to take them for a walk.

When it's fizzling, dump the frozen peas in. This will cool things down for a bit and you will get a merry cloud of bacon smoke and pea-frost cook-off when it heats up. Good idea to have the extractor cranked up to max for this bit, otherwise your entire house will smell of bacon for days.

Let everything fizzle for a wee while, then take the crème fraîche and dump the lot into the pan. Don't be shy now, the more the merrier (within reason, obviously).

Take the lemon, and crush it to get the juice out. Half- to whole- depending on how many. Too much lemon isn't good for it, so you'll have to be the judge. Whatever you crush, dump the juice into the pan, stir nonchalantly and stir then ignore, on a very low heat.

While you're busy ignoring it, chop the mint...and I do mean chop it, properly.

When you think the bacon is done nicely (should be brown), drain and then dump all of the cooked pasta into the skillet. Up to you if you want, also dump some of the pasta-cook-juice (i.e. drain it lazy) into the skillet. It will add a niceness of extra density to the sauce if that's what you want.

If you mean to keep some of this fine meal for later, only dump the mint in to the part you and yours will eat tonight. Mint is a fragile herb, and will not survive heat or storage.

Serve immediately, with a thoroughly stored and chilled Chablis or Sauvignon.

Rockntractor
12-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Sounds mighty tasty!:D

Rockntractor
12-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Whats for breakfast?

hampshirebrit
12-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Tea and toast, with home made marmalade (from my mother's kitchen, not mine).

Tomorrow, eggs and bacon, since I am now on holiday until January.

hampshirebrit
12-15-2009, 05:26 PM
OK, a week later, almost done. The artwork is up and looking good:

Red does seem to be the predominant color, but a direct contrast works pretty well:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01754.jpg

It's a sub-sea telecomms cable map. The cool thing is that under halogen light, the green lines and orange node points representing the cableways fluoresce ...

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01712.jpg

... quite vividly:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01711.jpg

How goddamn cool is that? :D

hampshirebrit
12-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Here's some more detail pics from the business end:

Left:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01755.jpg

Centre

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01757.jpg

Right

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01756.jpg

It's great to cook in this environment.

lacarnut
12-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Looks great Hamp. Now, if you can only cook as good as your kitchen looks, you are in like Flynn.:)

hampshirebrit
12-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Looks great Hamp. Now, if you can only cook as good as your kitchen looks, you are in like Flynn.:)

Hey, there's a lot riding on this. A buddy of mine in NYC has a long-standing theory relating to romantic success being directly linked to how adept a guy is at cooking a good meal for a lady. :D

OK, it's not only all about that ... but it is a buzz being there finally. I've been busy working out the ergonomics. Every thing is getting to be pretty much in the right place. Stuff I already know how to do is way easier. I can just concentrate on getting the timings right, because everything else is or will be where I need it to be when I need it. It actually tastes like I'm doing better.

Kitchen Aid food processor and a bin arrive on Thursday.

I'm cooking for six this weekend. Last time I did that it was chaos for the next two days. This time, hopefully not so much.

Rockntractor
12-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Do you make Marmite sandwiches?

lacarnut
12-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey, there's a lot riding on this. A buddy of mine in NYC has a long-standing theory relating to romantic success being directly linked to how adept a guy is at cooking a good meal for a lady. :D

I can vouch for your buddy's success. Cooking a filet mignon, baked potato and bacon wrapped whole green beans has worked for me on more than 1 occasion.

Bubba Dawg
12-15-2009, 08:57 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01609.jpg

Okay, it looks like you have three cookbooks...and two of them are the same book.......:eek:

Bubba Dawg
12-15-2009, 08:59 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01756.jpg

You've added another cookbook!!!!!!:D

Splendid!!!!

Did I just use the word :eek::o....