PDA

View Full Version : So what's the deal with the Icebergs Down Under?

FreeAmerican
12-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Just read about this a few minutes ago and can't help but wonder if the damn thing has been floating toward Australia for a year why I haven't heard anything about it until now.

"This one has survived in the open ocean for about a year," he said. "In that time it's slowly been coming up to the north and north east in the general direction of Western Australia."

LINK (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091209/sc_afp/unclimatewarmingaustraliaantarctica_20091209090216 ) (be sure to take a close look at the picture, looks kinda suspect to me)

furthermore....(the next link also states that the iceberg was stuck in the ocean for 5 years)

"An iceberg this large has not been reported in waters this far north in more than 100 years."
LINK (http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Environment/2009/12/09/12094841-qmi.html?cid=rssnewsenvironment)

I'm no climatologist but doesn't this indicate that there has been a warming trend to cause something like this in the past?

Gingersnap
12-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Just read about this a few minutes ago and can't help but wonder if the damn thing has been floating toward Australia for a year why I haven't heard anything about it until now.

I'm no climatologist but doesn't this indicate that there has been a warming trend to cause something like this in the past?

Two answers:

A.) You haven't heard about it because it's a total non-story. Large chunks of ice float toward Australia all the time. This one is just larger than usual. Since everybody uses sat-nav now instead of starving sailors tied to the rigging, it doesn't really matter to shipping.

B.) The chunk is from the ice shelf that broke off last year. You know - the breaking ice shelf that also "proved" global warming. :rolleyes:

AmPat
12-09-2009, 04:17 PM
If there were any polar Bears on it we would have heard.:rolleyes:

Big Guy
12-09-2009, 04:19 PM

Escimo's, Penguins, Polar Bears or Artic fox? :D

Gingersnap
12-09-2009, 04:27 PM

Maybe not. They probably would have eaten each other by the time the CNN crew got there. :D

Speedy
12-09-2009, 04:34 PM

Actually, it is proof of a cooling trend since all the other icebergs used to melt long before this.:D

FreeAmerican
12-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Actually, it is proof of a cooling trend since all the other icebergs used to melt long before this.:D

HAHAAA too right.

Bubba Dawg
12-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I thought this thread was about Jewish settlements in Australia.

Rockntractor
12-09-2009, 08:09 PM
I thought this thread was about Jewish settlements in Australia.
Oy Vay kangaroo is not Kosher!

Bubba Dawg
12-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Oy Vay kangaroo is not Kosher!

I'll bet possum isn't either, then.

Rockntractor
12-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I'll bet possum isn't either, then.

They could eat the camels as long as there is no milk in the gravy!

Bubba Dawg
12-09-2009, 08:18 PM
They could eat the camels as long as there is no milk in the gravy!

Camels without gravy? What's the point? :eek:

Rockntractor
12-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Camels without gravy? What's the point? :eek:

I would walk a mile for thick rich cream of camel gravy!

Bubba Dawg
12-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I would walk a mile for thick rich cream of camel gravy!

Yeah, but LSMFT.