PDA

View Full Version : ’07 Patriots did everyone a huge favor

JB
12-11-2009, 06:40 PM
By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports <portions snipped>

When I think back on the New England Patriots’ 2007 season...a part of me will always adore the ’07 Patriots, because Tom Brady and the boys did us a great service for which we should all be grateful: By obliterating the mystique of the perfect season, the Pats rendered the 1972 Miami Dolphins far less relevant. And that, football fans, is a beautiful thing.

...there’s a decided lack of noise coming from South Florida: No Mercury Morris rapping. No Bob Kuechenberg yapping. No Don Shula spewing out sour grapes or talk of Bob Griese, Dick Anderson, Nick Buoniconti and company getting ready to pop champagne.

I’m fairly sure that the ’72 Dolphins themselves bear no responsibility for this relative silence: I know from personal experience how much these guys love to talk perfect season. Rather, it’s the people in my business who, in our refusal to rev up the hype machine, have neglected to provide them with the forum they previously enjoyed for decades.

...if each team wins its conference, setting up an 18-0 vs. 18-0 Super Bowl for the ages, and one which will be staged in South Florida to boot? Well, get ready for two weeks’ worth of hysterical hoopla that will dredge up our familiar cast of characters and make the remaining 12 hairs on Garo Yepremian’s head stand up.

Then they’ll play the game, and the winner will walk off as the first 19-0 team in NFL history, and the ’72 Dolphins will finally be 100-percent irrelevant.God willing. I thought I was the only one that loathed those Dolphin fossils coming out every year blowharding about their season waiting for a loss from an undefeated team.

Dear Lord, please let two undefeated teams make it to this years Superbowl. Shula needs to go away for good. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Anf5PuNaRnLeYs6ioY96G3RDubYF?slug=ms-thegameface121109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

I'll be upset if a certain CU poster does not see this thread.