PDA

View Full Version : The Next Surge: Counterbureaucracy

megimoo
12-11-2009, 07:43 PM
THE Taliban commander was back in the village. Our base roared to life as we prepared to capture him.

Two Chinook helicopters spun their blades in anticipation in the dark. Fifty Afghan commandos brooded outside, pacing in the gravel. I was nearby, yelling into a phone: “Who else do we need approvals from? Another colonel? Why?”

A villager had come in that afternoon to tell us that a Taliban commander known for his deployment of suicide bombers was threatening the elders. The villager had come to my unit, a detachment of the United States Army stationed in eastern Afghanistan, for help.

Mindful of orders to protect the civilian population, we developed a plan with the Afghan commandos to arrest the Taliban commander that evening before he moved back into Pakistan.

While the troops prepared, I spent hours on the phone trying to convince the 11 separate Afghan, American and international forces authorities who needed to sign off to agree on a plan. Some couldn’t be found. Some liked the idea, others suggested revisions. The plan evolved. Hours passed.

http://www.nytimes.com/auth/login?URI=/2009/12/08/opinion/08vaccaro.html&OQ=_rQ3D5Q26scpQ3D1Q26sqQ3DTheQ252520NextQ252520Su rgeQ3AQ252520CounterbureaucracyQ26stQ3Dcse&REFUSE_COOKIE_ERROR=SHOW_ERROR