PDA

View Full Version : Guys I want a fact check on this

Sonnabend
12-12-2009, 06:24 PM
A woman who lives in Ohio has told me she is pregnant and

1, They cant afford a visit to a GP as they charge $400 for a visit.

2. They can turn you away and not treat you if you dont have health insurance

3. A hosp ER will charge at least $100 for a checkup regardless

4. There are no places that they can go to for health care checkups that dont require health insurance..

4. An injured person who is taken to an ER and has no health insurance will be treated but will be forced to pay for it for years afterward.

Is this right?? :eek:

PoliCon
12-12-2009, 06:42 PM
A woman who lives in Ohio has told me she is pregnant and

1, They cant afford a visit to a GP as they charge $400 for a visit.

2. They can turn you away and not treat you if you dont have health insurance

3. A hosp ER will charge at least $100 for a checkup regardless

4. There are no places that they can go to for health care checkups that dont require health insurance..

4. An injured person who is taken to an ER and has no health insurance will be treated but will be forced to pay for it for years afterward.

Is this right?? :eek:

BULLSHIT. There are special programs for pregnant women - WIC for starters that will pay for all her prenatal visits IF she cannot afford them AND if she is near a city of any size there is going to be a free or sliding scale clinic she can go to.

As for the ER - if you go to a hospital with a real emergency, you can't afford to pay, and you don't have insurance you are able to apply for emergency medicaid to cover that visit.

Sonnabend
12-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Why am I not surprised....:rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
12-12-2009, 07:02 PM
It can vary from state to state, but

Usually a pregnant woman can qualify for Medicaid if she has no other coverage. Probably WIC too. Income limits may apply and there are other factors of eligibility but Medicaid is usually a good possibility.

A person who is injured or sick can go to the emergency room and the ER cannot refuse to treat them if the hospital accepts Medicaid or Medicare (even if that individual is not-covered him/her-self).

If you go the the ER and are treated and you don't have insurance, you will be billed for the visit, and billed for it, and billed for it. Then it will probably be turned over to a collection agency.

A person can, and should, apply for indigent care in such a circumstance. No guarantee you'll get it, but a person should apply.

After you go the the ER for treatment, if you need to be admitted to the hospital you can be admitted for treatment. That isn't to say that you will get every treatment you need, only that which was life threatening. (edited, didn't sound right the way I wrote it first).

I had a claimant a few weeks ago who was injured and had surgery in a hospital. He had no insurance but was treated. He needed a subsequent surgery after he was released from the hospital but couldn't, and still can't, get that surgery because he has no insurance.

MrsSmith
12-12-2009, 07:09 PM
With a couple of mine, I went to a "Family Planning" center - not Planned Parenthood and not WIC, though usually in the same building as WIC...but I think it was mostly a state thing. However, I'm sure there is something in every state. If not, I am 100% positive a Christian Pregnancy Center will either do pre-natal care, or have a doctor that will volunteer prenatal care for those that need it.

I do have to add that my child #3 was born in an ER, on an outpatient basis, 24 years ago. I got there 10 minutes before he was born, the doctor "on call" caught him, and we left 4 hours later. My total bill was $650.

When I did it "correctly," with #5, with insurance, I paid the doctor over $1200 out of pocket, and paid the hospital $1000 out of pocket. It was WAY cheaper to have a kid without insurance.

MrsSmith
12-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Oh, and Sonna, for the $400 to see a doc...that may be accurate, since OB/GYNs are by far the most-sued doctors in the country and pay outrageous insurance premiums...but that charge would be only for the FIRST visit. Most doctors charge 3 or 4 times the normal amount for the first visit.

stsinner
12-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Yeah, what they said, but instead of going to the ER, you are better off calling an ambulance, because, one, you can't be turned down for care, and, two, you'll get right into a bed-ahead of all the illegal immigrants that used the ER as their primary care doctor and get it for free...

FlaGator
12-12-2009, 09:36 PM
I am currently uninsured and a visit to my GP cost $89.00. If standard blood tests are ran then the visit is $130.00. Some tests may earn additional costs.

Oceander
12-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Oh, and Sonna, for the $400 to see a doc...that may be accurate, since OB/GYNs are by far the most-sued doctors in the country and pay outrageous insurance premiums...but that charge would be only for the FIRST visit. Most doctors charge 3 or 4 times the normal amount for the first visit.

$400 is cheap for a pre-natal visit to an ob/gyn. My daughter's pediatrician charges $600 just for a routine visit for vaccinations - even if they don't have the vaccination in question on hand (h1n1).

asdf2231
12-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah, what they said, but instead of going to the ER, you are better off calling an ambulance, because, one, you can't be turned down for care, and, two, you'll get right into a bed-ahead of all the illegal immigrants that used the ER as their primary care doctor and get it for free...

Yeah and the guys that run those rigs are just happy as fuckin' clams dealing with assholes who tie up emergency personnel and assets that might be needed for something real. :rolleyes:

linda22003
12-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah and the guys that run those rigs are just happy as fuckin' clams dealing with assholes who tie up emergency personnel and assets that might be needed for something real. :rolleyes:

I'm still fuming over an article in the Washington Post a couple of weeks ago about one of these people. It's worth reading.

The Treatment of Kenny Farnsworth
For much of a decade, he called 911 routinely for an endless list of medical issues. Now he has an endless stack of bills he is unlikely to ever pay. So what's the diagnosis?

"Farnsworth quickly carved out a reputation as an emergency room regular. Among even the city's most habitual 911 callers, he was virtually peerless. It wasn't out of the ordinary for a Washington ambulance driver to shuttle Farnsworth more than once on the same shift.

His transports were for conditions including choking, high blood pressure, trouble breathing and internal pains. Over the years, he has suffered from convulsive seizures; a deviated septum; pancreatitis; gastritis; two perforated ulcers; a hernia; lymphedema, which causes swelling in his legs; acid reflux disease; and irritable bowel syndrome. His problems have run literally from his head, where he once suffered a skull fracture, to his feet, which are two different sizes, thanks to some bone removal after a break in his left foot."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/20/AR2009112003175.html

MrsSmith
12-13-2009, 01:16 PM
$400 is cheap for a pre-natal visit to an ob/gyn. My daughter's pediatrician charges $600 just for a routine visit for vaccinations - even if they don't have the vaccination in question on hand (h1n1).
My daugher's DO charged us $89 for her first visit without insurance, and $49 for each one after...and he delivers babies.

PoliCon
12-13-2009, 01:20 PM
My daugher's DO charged us $89 for her first visit without insurance, and $49 for each one after...and he delivers babies.

location location location.

Eagle
12-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Go away! Not even close.

noonwitch
12-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Medicaid, WIC, etc. If their state standards are generous enough, do what all the Toledo people do-get a Michigan address. Just kidding, sort of.

Serously, Ohio probably has a lot of charitable organizations, like any state, that might provide free medical care to a pregnant woman. The catholic archdiocese of whatever region she lives in probably has a list of catholic agencies. If she lives in Columbus, Cleveland, Cinci or any other fairly large city, there should be plenty of assistance available from many different resources.