PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Thread: First Memory

Bubba Dawg
12-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Okay, right now at about Midnight Saturday Night/Sunday Morning we have a mix of rain/sleet and maybe freezing rain....??????

The weather is messy right now. The temp is at the freezing point here on The Mountain. I am hoping the freezing weather will develop north of us, but you can never tell.

I'm posting late/early-early in case we lose our power.

TOTD: What is your earliest childhood memory?

Mine is of being held in my mother's arms and riding in a car. I have no clue where we were or where we were going, but that memory is clear.

There is really no reason why such a memory is significant, but I just find it interesting.

Think back. What do you remember about your earliest moment of thought/perception?

PoliCon
12-13-2009, 12:12 AM
TOTD: Can can remember my grandparents house where my mother lived while my dad was deployed. I can discribe the place in detail and I only lived there for the first 6 months of my life and never was in that house again afterwards. It still freaks my mother out that I can discribe the layout of the house, the color of the curtains, the sounds the house made . . . .

ralph wiggum
12-13-2009, 12:28 AM
My former brother-in-law always claimed that he remembered being born. :D

NJCardFan
12-13-2009, 01:55 AM
I remember standing on the kitchen counter looking at my mom and her smiling. I couldn't have been more than 1 or 2. I also remember a dream I had as a very young child and it was me, my older brother, my mom, and dad in the living room with me and my brother playing with yellow Tonka car-carrier trucks while sitting under a window in the living room. I looked at the window(it was dark out), and seeing 2 bright eyes, like a cats' eyes looking at me and a long, skinny hairy arm coming in and pulling my and my brother's hair. Don't know why I still remember that dream all of these years later.

RobJohnson
12-13-2009, 02:36 AM
We also have some rain here while local residents head up the moutnains to enjoy the snow.

Thunder and high winds, a pine cone just hit the side of my house and I thought it was gun fire. Never know who I pissed off. :D

I'm posting while sitting in my new rocker recliner. Found a nice one yesterday, they were able to deliver it and take the old one away, all before dark. It's made by Best & my back loves it.

TOTD: I remember going on a camping trip with my dad and leaving with my mother. :D

Rockntractor
12-13-2009, 02:37 AM

Don't laugh.

RobJohnson
12-13-2009, 03:00 AM
Don't laugh.

http://dingo.care2.com/pictures/c2c/galleries/albums/42/154641370/FUNNY_STUFF/PIG%20LAUGH.gif

linda22003
12-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Cold and rainy here, too. Tonight we're doing a full throttle Chanukah dinner for friends; I'm making a very good brisket and my husband is making latkes. We have plenty of sour cream and applesauce.

I don't remember much before the age of five. There are plenty of pictures. Pictures are likely the way PoliCon "remembers" a place he saw when he was six months old.

bmovies
12-13-2009, 09:39 AM
I dont remember which is my earliest memory. That is I dont recall which one came first:

My Grandparents owned a 4 family apartment house. They lived in one of the apartments on the ground floor and rented out the rest. My parents rented out the other apartment on the ground floor.

My earliest memories are from that place: I recall my father and uncle having a knock down drag out fist fight in the basement. For years I thought it was a dream until my teen years when my Father related to me the story of that fight.

I remember my very first Christmas. Me and my sister coming out of the bedroom to the sight of a Christmas tree, and MANY presents scattered under and around the tree. Then a Santa Claus coming through the front door. (My Grandmother mustve paid a bundle for all of that since they tell me that she used to buy me anything and everything)

I remember crawling into the kitchen early one morning, digging into one of the kitchen drawers, pulling out a camera, then some film, then a flashbulb. I loaded the camera with the film, put the flashbulb on it, pointed at the dining room and clicked a picture. The flash going off brought my parents running into the kitchen as they mustve thought something exploded. Only to see me sitting on the floor with the camera in hand. They were puzzled as to how I managed to know how to work the camera. I too didnt have any idea.

I also recall that my grandfather worked as an exterminator. Our apartment had way too many flies in it one day. My Grandfather instructs my mother to take us kids into the bedroom, shut the door tight, and dont come out for a specified amount of time (I think it was a few hours). My Mother, sister and I stayed in that bedroom watching reruns of I Love Lucy and the Brady Bunch (there mustve been quite a few other tv shows we watched, but those are the only two I can remember). Finally after the time had passed we emerged from the bedroom only to find dead flies littering almost every inch of the floors.

bmovies
12-13-2009, 09:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjV5YwKAbsQ

Go to the scene starting at 7:20

For info on this series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Hero_(TV_series)

Teetop
12-13-2009, 10:10 AM
My earliest memory was about 3 months after my birth. It was Easter and my older sister placed a candy egg on my stomach while I was asleep, I remember the weight of the candy egg on my stomach. My mom has that pic somewhere in a box...

RobJohnson
12-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I remember a couple of things when I was two or three years old. I remember my parents asking me if I wanted a brother or a sister. I said sister, and they adopted me one. (Both my sister & I are adopted)

I was just a little over two years old. True story.

Shannon
12-13-2009, 10:55 AM
I can't believe some of you think you remember things from 3 and 6 months old! My first memory is of my dad cussing as he burnt himself cooking hot dogs. I was closer to three at the time.

BadCat
12-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I remember lots of things from when I was very young, maybe two or so, not sure.

I remember my cats.
I remember a horse we had named "Pancho"
I remember my uncle shooting snakes down by the pond.
I remember getting kidnapped by my father.
I remember him on his knees being handcuffed by the police.
I remember my grandfather's funeral.

Lots of other weird things from that age.

Rockntractor
12-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I remember waking up this morning. The rest will come back to me gradually throughout the day.

RobJohnson
12-13-2009, 11:29 AM

My memory is a little better then that, I remember conception.

Rockntractor
12-13-2009, 11:32 AM

Oh yeah going through the hole in the rubber balloon, now I remember!

Rockntractor
12-13-2009, 11:36 AM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/sperm.jpg?t=1260722140

lacarnut
12-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Warming up to the high 60's and the sun is peeking out. Getting ready to watch the Saints play Atlanta on the boob tube.

TOTD: I remember riding the train from Baton Rouge to Chicago and then to Seattle when I was 4. That was so much fun that when we came back home I rode my tricycle 10 blocks to the train station to go for another ride. I got on the train; the conductor put me off and I wound up getting a ride back home in a police car.

Bubba Dawg
12-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Cool memories guys. This sort of thing fascinates me. For all the neuroscience involved, the process of memory, and of the recall of a specific memory, is fascinating. Some memories are vague while others are vivid.

Some things we seem to have forgotten can be triggered into recall by an event or a word, or even a smell or taste:

"The sight of the little madeleine had recalled nothing to my mind before I tasted it...." but "....as soon as I had recognized the taste of the piece of madeleine soaked in her decoction of lime-blossom which my aunt used to give me .... immediately the old grey house upon the street, where her room was, rose up like a stage set to attach itself to the little pavilion opening on to the garden which had been built out behind it for my parents."
Marcel Proust (1871-1922)
Remembrance of Things Pas

By the way, we dodged the wintry mix for the most part. It hit just north of us. :)

Bubba Dawg
12-13-2009, 12:43 PM
I remember lots of things from when I was very young, maybe two or so, not sure.

I remember my cats.
I remember a horse we had named "Pancho"
I remember my uncle shooting snakes down by the pond.
I remember getting kidnapped by my father.
I remember him on his knees being handcuffed by the police.
I remember my grandfather's funeral.

Lots of other weird things from that age.

We used to shoot snakes at a pond. And we used to shoot rats at the town dump. (Before it was a Landfill.)

RobJohnson
12-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Oh yeah going through the hole in the rubber balloon, now I remember!

Even earlier then that.....

I remember going on a camping trip with my dad and leaving with my mother.

Bubba Dawg
12-13-2009, 05:16 PM

I remember going on a camping trip with my dad and leaving with my mother.

Nice. :D

Eagle
12-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Remember being on a scale, it was cold wth my mom looking at me.

RobJohnson
12-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Remember being on a scale, it was cold wth my mom looking at me.

But you were 16 at the time. :D

Rockntractor
12-13-2009, 06:02 PM

Swinging back and forth in a sweaty sack?:eek:

Eagle
12-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Yea, maybe 16 minuits.

Speedy
12-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Mine is from when I was 3 years old. I didn't know what the date was then, but I know what the date was now. Dec. 31, 1963. I remember my dad was building a smaller bench in the outhouse for my brother and me. The reason that stands out is because of what hapened later that day. Across the street and one house over lived the Arevalo family. Several brothers and a sister. Two of the brothers were identical twins. One of them was shot through one of the windows later that night. I remember watching him die in his sister's arms. He seemed okay at first but had a small hole over one of his eyebrows. Then he started to bleed from his eyes, his ears, nose and mouth.

Turn out that his twin brother was the target. The one the killer was after was at our house. He was having my mom knot his tie since no one in his family knew how to do it. The killer holed up in his house up the street and got in a shootout with guys from the neighborhood who surrounded his house. The local sherrif and highway patrol showed up and they went into the house and killed him.

Bubba Dawg
12-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Mine is from when I was 3 years old. I didn't know what the date was then, but I know what the date was now. Dec. 31, 1963. I remember my dad was building a smaller bench in the outhouse for my brother and me. The reason that stands out is because of what hapened later that day. Across the street and one house over lived the Arevalo family. Several brothers and a sister. Two of the brothers were identical twins. One of them was shot through one of the windows later that night. I remember watching him die in his sister's arms. He seemed okay at first but had a small hole over one of his eyebrows. Then he started to bleed from his eyes, his ears, nose and mouth.

Turn out that his twin brother was the target. The one the killer was after was at our house. He was having my mom knot his tie since no one in his family knew how to do it. The killer holed up in his house up the street and got in a shootout with guys from the neighborhood who surrounded his house. The local sherrif and highway patrol showed up and they went into the house and killed him.

Jeez. That's awful.

It would stick in your mind, though.

I remember the day of the Kennedy assassination in Dallas 11/22/63. I don't remember the event, but I remember I had a toothache. That's what mad eme remember, the toothache that is.

We had an outhouse at the time too, if you mean outdoor privy.

BadCat
12-13-2009, 07:51 PM
We used to shoot snakes at a pond. And we used to shoot rats at the town dump. (Before it was a Landfill.)

We shot rats at the dump too. City kids, they don't know what they missed growing up. Later on, in college, we used to get a boat load of beer and take our .22's out at night and shoot at the red glow of their eyes. Once, we decided to go out the next day and see if we had actually hit anything.

Found about 200 rats with bullet holes right between their eyes.

RobJohnson
12-14-2009, 02:31 AM
City kids, they don't know what they missed growing up

I agree.

I was paid for every pigeon I could shoot inside a storage barn, while hanging out with my dad at his weekend job. I also had to tear down diesel motors for him so he could work on more then one semi tractor at a time. All in the same weekend.

Speedy
12-14-2009, 04:23 AM
One thing that stands out in my mind from when I was a kid is the proliferation of guns. This was before the oil companies moved in and it was mostly ranching that was the industry around here. There were alot of snakes out here during the summer so the ranchers wore guns when out feeding their stock. They would come into town with their guns still on their hip.

RobJohnson
12-15-2009, 04:51 AM
One thing that stands out in my mind from when I was a kid is the proliferation of guns. This was before the oil companies moved in and it was mostly ranching that was the industry around here. There were alot of snakes out here during the summer so the ranchers wore guns when out feeding their stock. They would come into town with their guns still on their hip.

They still open carry here in my town. :)

djones520
12-15-2009, 05:12 AM
4 years old. I remember 2 distinct events, but don't know which happened first. One, I was in my dads Firebird while we were driving somewhere, and I asked him when I'd turn 5.

The other was when I got tossed from a merri-go-round and busted my head open on a rock. The playground was right behind our house so my parents let me go there all the time without supervision (on a military base). I remember walking home crying with my head just dumping blood everywhere. Then we had some medics come from the clinic on the base to bandage my head up so I could be transported to the hospital. Then I remember getting a bunch of staples in my head. The doctor was cool and gave me the staple gun afterwards to help make me feel better. It worked a charm. It was my favorite toy for a couple of weeks until some asshole older kid stole it from me and tossed it in one of those big dumpsters where it was forever out of my reach.

noonwitch
12-15-2009, 01:05 PM
My earliest memory is from when I was 2-we had a fire in our house, and I remember it somewhat.

I also remember my then-baby sister fallling and cutting her face when I was 3 or 4. My mom took us to the doctor so she could get stitches, and I remember sitting in the hallway, listening to her screaming until one of the nurses gave me a sucker.

Most of my earliest memories are of something that was somewhat traumatic-not drama queen level, but this kind of stuff. I remember a circus I went to with my brother, young uncles, dad and grandpa that was fun, when I was around 3, and catching my first fish when I was 4.

Jumpy
12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
I have 3 siblings.. all sisters, and we have fun comparing memories. It is interesting what some of us remember, and others don't. I remember the "fresh air kids" (city kids from NYC, or Philly) who came to the country to spend a week with host families. I remember how much our 'fresh air kids' lied. I especially remember the mud fight we got into with them. My mother was mortified, because we were howling and screaming, and throwing pond mud at each other... all the while, some church group had a function going on at our property.

Teetop
12-15-2009, 04:19 PM
I have 3 siblings.. all sisters, and we have fun comparing memories. It is interesting what some of us remember, and others don't. I remember the "fresh air kids" (city kids from NYC, or Philly) who came to the country to spend a week with host families. I remember how much our 'fresh air kids' lied. I especially remember the mud fight we got into with them. My mother was mortified, because we were howling and screaming, and throwing pond mud at each other... all the while, some church group had a function going on at our property.

Heathens.:p:D

Jumpy
12-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Heathens.:p:D

haha... I think the blondes (my sisters and I) won the mud fight, if my memory is correct.

Bubba Dawg
12-15-2009, 08:15 PM
haha... I think the blondes (my sisters and I) won the mud fight, if my memory is correct.

Some things never change....

runs/

:p

johvale
12-16-2009, 08:59 AM
I remember my 3rd birthday (birthday falls on 7:32pm). My parents and I were flying back from California where we went to Disney Land. Just as the plane touched down at Albany airport the clock struck 7:32pm. My parent counted down: 10... 9... 8... etc. It was a nice coincidence.