PDA

View Full Version : Naughty or Nice?

megimoo
12-14-2009, 04:13 PM
AFA's 2009 listing of top retailers and how they recognize Christmas

Based on current advertising, below is a list of companies that avoid, ban, or use the term "Christmas" in their advertising. We will continually update the list, so check back often.

Criteria - AFA reviewed up to four areas to determine if a company was "Christmas-friendly" in their advertising: print media (newspaper inserts), broadcast media (radio/television), website and/or personal visits to the store. If a company's ad has references to items associated with Christmas (trees, wreaths, lights, etc.), it was considered as an attempt to reach "Christmas" shoppers.

If a company has items associated with Christmas, but did not use the word "Christmas," then the company is considered as censoring "Christmas."

Color Code:

GREEN: Company uses the term "Christmas" on a regular basis, we consider that company Christmas-friendly.

YELLOW: Company refers to Christmas infrequently, or in a single advertising medium, but not in others.

RED: Company may use "Christmas" sparingly in a single or unique product description, but as a company, does not recognize it.

A company may be removed from the "bad" list by providing documentation to AFA.

SPECIAL ALERT! Legal group offers valuable resources

If you hear of instances of hostility toward Christmas expression, please let us know. AFA is working with the Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) to provide resources for government and public school authorities laboring under the misimpression they must censor Christmas. You can contact ADF at (1-800-TELL-ADF ) for a copy of their legal analysis and memo on rights of seasonal expression at Christmas.

We want to inform public officials about the law, and then encourage them to take a stand for Christmas.
Companies FOR "Christmas"
updated 12-10-09

Amazon.com
Bed Bath & Beyond
Belk
Big Lots
Books-A-Million
Cabella's
Collective Brands
Costco
Dollar Tree
Family Dollar
Dollar General
H.E.B. Stores
Hallmark
Harris Teeter Stores
Hobby Lobby
Home Depot
JC Penney
JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts Stores
Kmart
kohl's
Lowe's
Macy's
Meijer
Menard's
Michael's Stores
Neiman Marcus
Nordstrom
Petsmart
Pier One Imports
Publix
QVC
Rite Aid
Sears
Super D Drug Stores
Target
Walgreens
Wal-Mart/Sam's Club
Companies marginalizing "Christmas"
updated 12-10-09

Bass Pro Shops
Banana Republic
Barnes & Noble
Bath & Body Works
Best Buy
Gap Stores
Hancock Fabrics
Hy-Vee Stores
Old Navy
Limited Brands
Safeway
Starbucks
Toys R Us
Whole Foods
Companies against "Christmas"
updated 12-10-09

Advance Auto Parts
Aldi
Barnes & Noble
Best Buy
CVS Pharmacy
Dick's Sporting Goods
Home Shopping Network
Kroger
Office Depot
Radio Shack
Staples
SUPERVALU
Victoria's S

linda22003
12-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Whatever their opinion of Christmas, I'm not getting anyone something from someplace as boring as "Advance Auto Parts". :cool: I also can't imagine making that list, or checking it twice.

movie buff
12-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Why is it that Barnes & Noble and Best Buy each made both the yellow list and the red list?

Rockntractor
12-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Why is it that Barnes & Noble and Best Buy each made both the yellow list and the red list?
That is real bad like kicking a handicapped puppy or something!

Apocalypse
12-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Just want to say a few on the "Red" list.

updated 12-10-09

Advance Auto Parts ~ You might be a redneck if.....
Aldi ~ These cheap asses are lower then no thrills.
Barnes & Noble ~ Liberal Central Book Store.
Best Buy ~ Horrid Customer relations.
Home Shopping Network ~ ?? Really ??
Victoria's S ~ Who wants to buy sexy undies with a massive sign that reads "HO HO HO" over it? ;)

Shannon
12-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Just want to say a few on the "Red" list.

updated 12-10-09

Advance Auto Parts ~ You might be a redneck if.....
Aldi ~ These cheap asses are lower then no thrills.
Barnes & Noble ~ Liberal Central Book Store.
Best Buy ~ Horrid Customer relations.
Home Shopping Network ~ ?? Really ??
Victoria's S ~ Who wants to buy sexy undies with a massive sign that reads "HO HO HO" over it? ;)

I buy my perfume and my body lotion from Victoria's Secret. I pay a small fortune for the lotion and body wash but I am addicted to it. I've never heard of Aldi. I guess I like Best Buy okay. HSN? Seriously?

Apocalypse
12-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Aldi's is a no thrill grocery store. Absolutly no thrill. They don't really stock shelves, they just cut the top off the boxes and you pick what you want out of the shipping boxes. They don't provide any "Free" bags for your groceries. You ether have to buy them to put them into from them, bring your own, or use one of the numerous empty stock boxes laying about. You "Bag" your own groceries, and take them to your car. No stockmen about or to do that for you. They are as no thrills shopping as you can possibly get. But to that, because they cut the thrills, their prices are cheap.

djones520
12-15-2009, 06:11 AM
Personally I find this ridiculous. Because they don't explicitly say Christmas, their against Christmas? I'm looking at the Books-A-Million website, and the Radio Shack website, and they both have pretty much the same holiday decorations, and neither have any mention of the word Christmas, but ones on the green and the others red. I'm thinking AFA's just got a bone to grind.