PDA

View Full Version : Killer Window Shades Recalled.

Gingersnap
12-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Window shade recall is massive

Published: Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Louis Hornick

WASHINGTON, Dec. 15 (UPI) -- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced a series of window shade and blinds recalls Tuesday due to a risk of strangulation to children.

The recalls involves eight separate announcements covering "all Roman shades and roll-up blinds," the commission said.

The recalls involved blinds and window shades sold at Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, The Land of Nod, All Strong Industry, West Elm, Big Lots and Ace Hardware.

The recall concerns window shades with cords that form a loop around the bottom of the shade for lifting and lowering. About 5 million Roman shades and about 3 million roll-up window blinds are sold each year, the commission said.

The recalls are the result of 15 years of studies on window coverings, Inez Tenenbaum, CPSC chairman said.

The commission said it has reviewed reports of five deaths and 15 near strangulations since 2006.

The nanny state mentality is everywhere now. How many kids are going to die because of the traffic generated by people returning the "killer" shades? :rolleyes:

UPI (http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2009/12/15/Window-shade-recall-is-massive/UPI-63601260889951/)

Oceander
12-15-2009, 04:35 PM
The nanny state mentality is everywhere now. How many kids are going to die because of the traffic generated by people returning the "killer" shades? :rolleyes:

UPI (http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2009/12/15/Window-shade-recall-is-massive/UPI-63601260889951/)

Most likely, many more than the 5 allegedly killed by the blinds themselves.

Jumpy
12-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I watched that this morning. I understand how a child could hang themself on the pulley things. It doesnt need to be recalled... folks apparently need to be warned to watch their kids. Obviously you don't turn your back on a toddler.

Teetop
12-15-2009, 06:21 PM
I watched that this morning. I understand how a child could hang themself on the pulley things. It doesnt need to be recalled... folks apparently need to be warned to watch their kids. Obviously you don't turn your back on a toddler.

Or, do like most responsible parents and keep the strings where a child cannot get to them.

As with most things, logic, reasoning and responsibility is never an issue anymore.

PoliCon
12-15-2009, 10:22 PM
WHAT? 200million miniblind clad windows in America and they are crying over 5 deaths where the parents were not SUPERVISING THEIR CHILDREN?? My reaction is - watch your kids you F*ing MORONS and there wouldn't be a problem.

Oceander
12-15-2009, 11:44 PM

Unfortunately, what ought to be obvious to all but the completely brain-dead, is usually utterly opaque to folks like these.