PDA

View Full Version : Domino's Pizza delivers change in its core pizza recipe

Gingersnap
12-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Domino's Pizza delivers change in its core pizza recipe

Domino's is rolling out new crust, new cheese and new sauce for its pizzas.

By Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY

For folks who get their jollies complaining about the taste of Domino's Pizza, the company is about to do the unthinkable. The world's largest pizza delivery chain (DPZ) on Wednesday will unveil plans to change every part of its core pizza.

New crust (added butter, garlic and parsley). New cheese (shredded instead of diced mozzarella, with a hint of provolone). New sauce (sweeter, with a red pepper kick).

The move comes as the $33.5 billion quick-service pizza industry, particularly delivery pizza, has been hit hard by the economy. Delivery sales fell 6% in 2009 through October compared with the same period last year.

The changes also come as the nation's demographics and taste preferences are changing. And they come just weeks before the pizza delivery industry's biggest payday: Super Bowl Sunday. (Yes, Domino's, which turns 50 in 2010, may buy an ad in the big game.)

"The best defense is a good offense," says Russell Weiner, marketing chief at Domino's, which has global sales of $5.5 billion. "We weren't winning against everyone on taste."

That's an understatement. In a 2009 survey of consumer taste preferences among national chains by research firm Brand Keys, Domino's was last tied with Chuck E. Cheese's.

Perhaps that justifies the radical change, says Robert Passikoff, founder of Brand Keys, who says Domino's ranked first in convenience and price. "This gives Domino's something to talk about on an important issue."

But analysts were hard-pressed to name a major chain that has tried such a change to its core product. "I don't know of any (restaurant) company that has attempted this," says consultant Howard Gordon.

It's like McDonald's changing the ingredients in the Big Mac. Risks are akin to Coca-Cola's change undone after a fan revolt in Coke's taste.

"Once you've built a brand, that's your brand," says Gordon. "To change it means that everything you've stood for isn't right."

Perhaps even riskier is the way that Domino's plans to market the change.

Domino's will reach out to food bloggers and others who have criticized the brand in the past and ask them to comment live on the Domino's website about the new formula.

I did not even know this controversy existed! I eat non-homemade pizza about twice a year so this was well below my radar. Why didn't people like it? :confused:

USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2009-12-16-dominos16_ST_N.htm)

aerojarod
12-16-2009, 11:04 AM
The Dominos delivery box tastes better than their pizza.

Unless of course it was after midnight and you were pissed on beer.
Then ANY pizza is good.

RobJohnson
12-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Dominos did great when it was 30 minutes or free, it was quick & cheap. Not the best pizza, but far from the worse either.

I like the oven baked sandwhiches from Dominos, for $4.99 they are very good when looking for something different. I love the toasted artisan Italian bread. I usually get the Italian sub.

Menu (http://www.dominos.com/home/main_servlet?street-address=&city-state-zip=&stJudeAmt=0&stJudeAmtOther=&cp_state=&cp_state_value=&cp_campus=&cp_campus_value=&cp_bldg=&cp_bldg_value=&COMMAND_MENU=&mode=M&addresstype=&landingpage=)

Rockntractor
12-16-2009, 11:13 AM
A big day in pizza history! Generations will remember this and someday it may become a holiday!

noonwitch
12-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Dominos' pizza is terrible. So is Little Caesar's, even if the owner also owns my favorite sports team. I'm glad we have better options around Detroit-Buddy's, Louis DiPrima's, Papa Romano's, etc.

linda22003
12-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Domino's is the greasiest pizza on the planet, so now they're adding more butter. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

FlaGator
12-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Some one once told me that pizza was like sex. When it is good it is good and when it is bad it is still pretty good.

lacarnut
12-16-2009, 02:54 PM
A big day in pizza history! Generations will remember this and someday it may become a holiday!

My exact sentiments. Fleur del lis in Baton Rouge makes the best. An Italian pizza and cocktail joint with a pink fruity looking building.

JB
12-16-2009, 07:08 PM
There's no such thing as bad pizza but Domino's comes very, very close.

Rockntractor
12-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Domino's is the greasiest pizza on the planet, so now they're adding more butter. Brilliant. :rolleyes:
Mmm butter!

ralph wiggum
12-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Some one once told me that pizza was like sex. When it is good it is good and when it is bad it is still pretty good.

I thought that was golf? You can be bad at both sex & golf, but you're still going to enjoy it. :D