PDA

View Full Version : When do you open gifts?

RobJohnson
12-17-2009, 01:14 AM
What day do you open gifts?

I am already sitting in the gift from my mother, a new rocker recliner. I ordered a laptop as a gift to myself. My mom will be going out of town early next week, so we will open gifts together before she leaves for the airport. (12/22)

I have gifts for a few other friends in town, I really don't expect anything in return. I just wanted to Bless a couple of families that are having hard times with a dozen or so gifts to open. That's how I roll.

As an older child, we always opened gifts on the 24th, not only were the pictures better (no bed clothes or crazy hair) we all slept better the night before Christmas. There were always stockings on Christmas morning, but they did not require power tools or getting my dad out of bed at 3 AM.

djones520
12-17-2009, 01:17 AM
As kids, we'd always get to open one on Christmas Eve. It was usually the one that my sister and I got for each other. With my family now, we haven't really set up any pattern. Our son will just sometimes occasionally wander over to the tree and tear a present open, but he's still a bit young for all of this to really mean anything to him yet. We'll probably start setting the traditions up next Christmas.

RobJohnson
12-17-2009, 01:18 AM
As kids, we'd always get to open one on Christmas Eve. It was usually the one that my sister and I got for each other. With my family now, we haven't really set up any pattern. Our son will just sometimes occasionally wander over to the tree and tear a present open, but he's still a bit young for all of this to really mean anything to him yet. We'll probably start setting the traditions up next Christmas.

It's all good, I hope the little guy has a great Christmas!

djones520
12-17-2009, 01:21 AM
It's all good, I hope the little guy has a great Christmas!

My wifes got this tradition with getting a new ornament for the tree every year. She got our kid a Lightning McQueen car ornament today. He's absolutely enthralled with Cars right now, so he loves it. I let him play with it for a bit, then hung it up on the tree. He hasn't tried taking it down just yet, but I expect him to soon.

RobJohnson
12-17-2009, 02:22 AM
My wifes got this tradition with getting a new ornament for the tree every year. She got our kid a Lightning McQueen car ornament today. He's absolutely enthralled with Cars right now, so he loves it. I let him play with it for a bit, then hung it up on the tree. He hasn't tried taking it down just yet, but I expect him to soon.

That's a neat tradition. Our family did the same thing, we also had Anri nativty scenes that grew every year. In 2003 lost all of mine in a house fire. :mad:

Gingersnap
12-17-2009, 09:39 AM
My whole family is Scandi so we do everything on Christmas Eve. We lay out a smörgåsbord, hand out Glögg and aquavit, open gifts, and stagger off to church in the middle of the night.

Needless to say, Christmas morning isn't jam-packed with blistering excitement. Later we have more church and tasty leftovers. :D

RobJohnson
12-17-2009, 09:55 AM
My whole family is Scandi so we do everything on Christmas Eve. We lay out a smörgåsbord, hand out Glögg and aquavit, open gifts, and stagger off to church in the middle of the night.

Needless to say, Christmas morning isn't jam-packed with blistering excitement. Later we have more church and tasty leftovers. :D

Sounds like a great celebration!

For a couple years when my family would travel for Christmas I would visit Catholic best friend's family that had a huge Christmas Eve dinner & breakfast at midnight after church...it was always a good time. They were like a second family to me, even the folks that didn't know me were always so great.

linda22003
12-17-2009, 11:03 AM

Needless to say, Christmas morning isn't jam-packed with blistering excitement.

If you're Scandinavian, I don't think ANYthing is jam-packed with blistering excitement, is it? You all do Christmas very well, but very quiet and homey. "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

http://endicottstudio.typepad.com/endicott_redux/images/2007/12/23/christmas_evening_by_carl_larsson.jpg

linda22003
12-17-2009, 11:05 AM
http://www.lesliehawes.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/kirstis-sleigh-ride-by-carl-larsson.jpg

Gingersnap
12-17-2009, 11:09 AM
If you're Scandinavian, I don't think ANYthing is jam-packed with blistering excitement, is it? You all do Christmas very well, but very quiet and homey. "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

We're reserved, dammit.

*retreats to room to brood on the tragedy of a life spent among careless extroverts and their hellish pagan celebrations*

linda22003
12-17-2009, 11:11 AM
We're reserved, dammit.

"My family is Irish on one side, and Swedish on the other. We're all alcoholics, but we're real quiet about it." - Brett Butler

RobJohnson
12-18-2009, 12:46 AM
"My family is Irish on one side, and Swedish on the other. We're all alcoholics, but we're real quiet about it." - Brett Butler

:D

BSR
12-18-2009, 12:04 PM
You two "Christmas Eve" commies need to get out of my country !!!!!:mad:

Gingersnap
12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
You two "Christmas Eve" commies need to get out of my country !!!!!:mad:

Nobody is stooping you from prancing around in your underwear with major bed-head on Christmas morning. Knock yourself out. :rolleyes:

:p