PDA

View Full Version : "Nebraska Abortion Foes ‘Stunned'".

megimoo
12-20-2009, 11:53 AM
WASHINGTON — By declaring he will vote for the Senate health care bill, Ben Nelson Touched off a Firestorm of Criticism Saturday on Abortion.

Nebraska Right to Life said it had been “betrayed'' by the Nebraska Democrat, long an abortion opponent, who agreed to support compromise language on abortion.

His home-state colleague, Republican Mike Johanns, said he was “stunned and incredibly disappointed'' by Nelson's decision. And the chairman of the Nebraska Republican Party, Mark Fahleson, vowed that it was the “death knell'' for Nelson's political career.

Nelson said the outcry was over what amounted to a distinction without a difference on abortion.Under the compromise bill, individual states could decide to ban any insurance plans with abortion coverage from the new exchanges set up in that state.

A mechanism also would be established, Nelson said, to segregate funds used to pay for abortions from federal subsidy dollars flowing to health plans.

“I'm respectful of the other position,'' Nelson said. “I just don't think that it's a distinction that matters, because what really matters is the separation, segregation, of the money.”

Nelson said the compromise would keep federal dollars from funding elective abortions. Abortion opponents were not persuaded.

“There is no pro-life Nebraskan more devastated by Senator Nelson's actions than myself,'' said Julie Schmit-Albin, executive director of Nebraska Right to Life. “I have defended his record to Nebraskans and believed that he would stand on pro-life principles as he has on numerous occasions in the past. … It is a very sobering day for myself personally and for pro-lifers across Nebraska and the nation.”

Federal law, known as the Hyde amendment, prohibits public money for abortions, except in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother.

All along, Congress has been wrangling with how to extend those restrictions to the new federal funding for health insurance included in the bill.

Nelson had pushed for House-approved restrictions that would have required policyholders to purchase a separate abortion coverage “rider” if they were purchasing a plan that accepted any federal subsidies. His amendment to include that language in the Senate bill was soundly defeated.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091220/NEWS01/712209910

linda22003
12-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Both pro-life AND pro-choice are upset by the bill, so it may be the only thing Congress is doing right.

samurai
12-20-2009, 03:09 PM
A Democrat is a Democrat first, and they were fools to think otherwise.

lacarnut
12-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Both pro-life AND pro-choice are upset by the bill, so it may be the only thing Congress is doing right.

That may be true for voters in a state like VA but I don't think that will fly in a more conservative state like Nebraska.

Defiant1
12-20-2009, 05:01 PM

Please explain how allowing federal tax dollars being used to murder the innocent unborn is congress doing the right thing.

coach
12-20-2009, 07:16 PM
lets see if this can get his mind changed back.

unlikely of course but who knows ? he indicated he had a conscience once, maybe it will return.

linda22003
12-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Please explain how allowing federal tax dollars being used to murder the innocent unborn is congress doing the right thing.

You'll have to show me where I said that. Hint: I didn't.