PDA

View Full Version : New Big Christmas Storm??

SarasotaRepub
12-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Well the 1st winter storm is past but the next...

Issued by The National Weather Service
St. Louis, MO
4:31 am CST, Sun., Dec. 20, 2009

... WINTER STORM TAKING AIM ON THE CENTRAL U.S. TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT...

A WINTER STORM APPEARS LIKELY TO BE IMPACTING PARTS OF THE CENTRAL U.S. HEADING INTO THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY. THE TIMING OF THE STORM IS SUCH THAT IT MAY HAVE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON HOLIDAY TRAVELERS... THEREFORE IT IS IMPORTANT FOR THOSE PLANNING TRAVEL THROUGHOUT THE CENTRAL U.S. TO CAREFULLY MONITOR FORECASTS OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS.
FOR THE PAST SEVERAL DAYS... WEATHER DATA HAS SUGGESTED THAT A STRONG STORM SYSTEM WILL BE PUSHING INTO THE CENTRAL U.S. WITH MANY FAVORABLE CONDITIONS FOR A WINTER STORM COMING TOGETHER IN THE TUESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY TIME FRAME. ADVERSE WINTER WEATHER NOW APPEARS LIKELY SOMEWHERE ACROSS THE NATIONS MIDSECTION.

THE INITIAL STAGES OF THE STORM ARE EXPECTED TO BEGIN IMPACTING THE PLAINS ON TUESDAY... THEN SPREAD INTO THE MID MISSISSIPPI VALLEY TUESDAY NIGHT. THE STORM WILL CONTINUE ITS INFLUENCE OVER THE AREA WEDNESDAY AND INTO THURSDAY... BEFORE EXITING THE CENTRAL U.S. ON CHRISTMAS DAY.
HOWEVER... IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO POINT OUT THAT IT IS STILL MUCH TOO EARLY TO TELL EXACTLY WHEN OR WHERE THE MOST DANGEROUS WEATHER CONDITIONS WILL OCCUR. WHILE THE FORECAST DATA HAS CONSISTENTLY POINTED TO STORM DEVELOPMENT... THE EXACT TRACK AND TEMPERATURE PROFILE OF THE STORM HAS BEEN VARYING A GREAT DEAL. THESE ARE KEY UNKNOWNS... SINCE A SMALL CHANGE IN TEMPERATURE OR STORM MOVEMENT OFTEN HAS A TREMENDOUS IMPACT ON THE AMOUNT OF WINTER WEATHER A GIVEN LOCATION RECEIVES.

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOME LOCATIONS MAY EXPERIENCE A VARIETY OF PRECIPITATION TYPES... WITH RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN CHANGING TO SNOW AS THE SYSTEM MOVES ACROSS THE REGION.

WE EXPECT NUMERICAL WEATHER DATA TO BEGIN TO CONVERGE ON A PREFERRED SOLUTION OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS... SO AGAIN... HOLIDAY TRAVELERS ARE URGED TO CAREFULLY MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS ON THIS STORM.

djones520
12-20-2009, 10:12 PM
I'll take a look tonight and see what the prognostication is for Christmas.

Rockntractor
12-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Find out what the weather is going to do too!

FlaGator
12-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Wow! This may be a great time for Santa to pick up some toys from the Island of Misfit Toys, where they crunch all the global warming data on their misfit computers while sending misfit emails to each other.

SarasotaRepub
12-20-2009, 11:41 PM

Thank you kind weather guru! :D

djones520
12-21-2009, 02:20 AM
My prognostication.

A crapton of rain from Wednesday through Thursday, with the possibility of snow late on Christmas morning. As of right now, I don't think we're in danger of getting any freezing precip, but there is going to be some funky stuff going on with the vertical temperatures, so it's possible. Temps are going to tank quickly on Christmas day, almost to the point that if there is still lots of standing water from the rain, I'd expect ice to form very quickly.

This is my only night working this week, so don't expect any updates. :P

linda22003
12-21-2009, 06:54 AM
We had a little melting yesterday, so of course it all turned to ice overnight. The federal government is closed today but my company isn't. I'm telecommuting today.

SarasotaRepub
12-21-2009, 07:32 AM
My prognostication.

A crapton of rain from Wednesday through Thursday, with the possibility of snow late on Christmas morning. As of right now, I don't think we're in danger of getting any freezing precip, but there is going to be some funky stuff going on with the vertical temperatures, so it's possible. Temps are going to tank quickly on Christmas day, almost to the point that if there is still lots of standing water from the rain, I'd expect ice to form very quickly.

This is my only night working this week, so don't expect any updates. :P

Hmmm...weather guy says rain.

We're Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed!!! I better have SLW
go out today and get eggs, milk, and bread. :D

Thanks djones, rain would be fine.

linda22003
12-21-2009, 07:36 AM
I better have SLW
go out today and get eggs, milk, and bread. :D

Sounds like a good breakfast if you add BACON!

Gingersnap
12-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Well, isn't this interesting. The models are trending toward a fairly exciting outcome for Wednesday (for us here in the high plains). This new system might be a lot more than picturesque. :eek:

hampshirebrit
12-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Same same in Teh Yuk. It's snowing again, and settling. Looks like we'll have a white Christmas here, the first since I was eight or nine years old.

Gingersnap
12-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Same same in Teh Yuk. It's snowing again, and settling. Looks like we'll have a white Christmas here, the first since I was eight or nine years old.

I was astonished to grow up and learn that England has such "temperate" winter weather most of the time. Having been exposed to Dickens, B. Potter, Brontė', and Doyle I naturally assumed that England was covered with snow all winter. All those shivering orphans and poor freezing rabbits totally skewed my mental picture of a normal English winter. :D

hampshirebrit
12-21-2009, 10:58 AM
I was astonished to grow up and learn that England has such "temperate" winter weather most of the time. Having been exposed to Dickens, B. Potter, Brontė', and Doyle I naturally assumed that England was covered with snow all winter. All those shivering orphans and poor freezing rabbits totally skewed my mental picture of a normal English winter. :D

Used to be like that when I was a kid (well sort of, maybe not Dickensian but definitely some snow every winter). This year (January and now) is much like the weather we would expect when I was a child.

I sort of like it, until I think of the 100 mi journey I will have to make on Wednesday. At least the replacement is 4WD and the engine is in the back.

hampshirebrit
12-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Thinking about it, not much chance of crashing, since no-one seems to be going fast enough to crash (or indeed at any speed at all).

40 minutes ago:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/IMG_0058.jpg

Some faster-moving Brits:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/IMG_0061.jpg

Gingersnap
12-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Don't kid yourself. Where I live 2 feet of snow or more at a shot isn't uncommon and we're used to it. People still bang into each other, slide off embankments, and flip. We euphemistically call it it "overdriving for conditions". :p

hampshirebrit
12-21-2009, 12:36 PM
We euphemistically call it it "overdriving for conditions". :p

Pretty much what the Koblenz Polizei told me last March. I was just pacing traffic (no, I really was), but there it is. :o

lacarnut
12-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Partly cloudy and the temp in the high 60's. You'll keep that white stuff up north.