PDA

View Full Version : Former Justice Ginsburg: Supreme Court may eventually overrule Heller

megimoo
12-21-2009, 01:21 AM
On Thursday, Dec. 17, Justice Ginsburg spoke at a luncheon of the Harvard Club of Washington, D.C. I was not present at the luncheon, but I have heard, third-hand, that she spoke on the value of dissenting opinions.

She said that sometimes a dissent can become the majority of a “future, wiser court.” As an example, she pointed to the dissent in District of Columbia v. Heller.

http://volokh.com/2009/12/20/justice-ginsburg-supreme-court-may-eventually-overrule-heller/
Comments:
She sounds like our new, old, Wiser,Female Latino Justice !
“future, wiser court” must mean one able to ignore plain english.....

and people wonder why there’s been such a massive ongoing bump in sales of guns, ammo, and accessories. Molon Labe, granny.
To Justice Ginsberg, a “future, wiser Court” is one willing to proclaim “We know better than those idiots that wrote and adopted the Constitution.”
What about people who’ve ordered their lives around the individual right to bear arms, in reliance on Heller? What about how the public views the legitimacy of the Supreme Court?
This old ACLU Lawyer will never go away for good .As if and real Americans will even listen to such a proven Mind dead Maoist.She has been among the 'enemy of the people' for far too many years.
If that’s the case, thank God that Justices Scalia and Thomas write so many dissents.
“future, wiser court” must mean one able to ignore plain english.

As opposed to those wise justices currently on the court who ignored the part about a militia being necessary to the security of a free state?

Speedy
12-21-2009, 03:06 AM
This old ACLU Lawyer will never go away for good .As if and real Americans will even listen to such a prover Mind dead Maoist.She has been among the 'enemy of the people' for far too many years.

Remember Justice William Rehnquist? Who was practically on life support refusing to retire even though ill because he did not want President Bush to be the one to name his replacement? How did that work out? When he died and Bush was srill in office I laughed and laughed!

linda22003
12-21-2009, 06:52 AM
Remember Justice William Rehnquist? Who was practically on life support refusing to retire even though ill because he did not want President Bush to be the one to name his replacement?

No, I don't remember that, since Rehnquist was appointed by Nixon and appointed Chief Justice by Reagan. He was Republican to the bone. He was "practically on life support" to be able to show up to administer the oath of office to Bush in 2005.

Sonnabend
12-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Can anyone remember when the USSC last reversed one of their own rulings?

linda22003
12-21-2009, 08:15 AM
I'm not sure when the last instance was; arguably the most famous instance was when Plessy v. Ferguson (1896?) was overturned by Brown v. Board of Education (1957).