PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you can't pay your car payment and credit cards?

Sonnabend
07-26-2008, 06:53 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3677806#3677818

This one is a real gem..the discussion goes backwards and forwards until we come to this.You tell me just how much bad advice is in here

Keith82718 (1 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sat Jul-26-08 06:03 PM
Response to Original message
137. Can't Pay the Car Payment

MDMC,

I'd like to offer some practical advice, based on experience that I had in a previous job that involved "small loans". Some of my advice is likely dated, as I worked in that industry about ten years ago, so take it for what it is worth.

I've read it, it's all bad, and I can see why you aren't in the industry any more.

1. Don't marry your girlfriend, at least for right now, and don't do anything that could legally tie you to her debts. Although you may want to help her "on the sly", don't let any of the creditors convince you to assume any legal responsibility for the debts, i.e. don't co-sign anything, etc. The two of you are better off if one of you has clean credit than if neither of you does.

This is good sense, actually.

2. Start parking the car away from your home.

Oh, real bright, advising them to hide the car that they cant afford from their creditors

If you live in a safe area, park it on the street three or four blocks away. If you don't live in a safe area, park at a Friend or relative's house several blocks away (be certain that the friend or relative is not listed as a "personal reference" on the car loan...they will look at those addresses)

Asking others to lie for you is just as bad...worse, since you are now asking them to cover up your debts. People like you receive my special attention

Take a circuitous route between your home and your car's new location, and assume that repo men are following you. Follow the same procedure when parking at work or any other place you go on a routine basis. Repo men will do more "James Bond" stuff than just about anyone beside bail bondsmen.

Note that scumbag here at no time suggests being honest and dealing with the fact that the car is encumbered and that handing it over is the honest thng to do. No, like any DUmmie, its always someone elses fault. Bad advice, son, all this does is to tell creditors you are a deadbeat and to give you no leeway whatsoever

Now this

3. As far as phone calls. Use a cell phone instead of a land line...it is much harder for creditors to find cell numbers than land numbers. If you get phone service, don't let ANY creditor (or potential creditor) have the number...they will post it to the credit bureaus, where other creditors will find it.

Far be it from them to want their money back. No one held a fucking giun to your head and made you take out credit.

4. Creditors will attempt to harass you at work, but there are limitations. Federal law allows creditors to contact you at work UNTIL YOU TELL THEM TO STOP. Once you tell them not to bother you at work, it is illegal for them to make further attempts to contact you there, unless they do it through process service. If you have a good relationship with your supervisor, and work in a job in which credit issues don't threaten your job, you might explain things to your boss, and ask him/her to speak to any creditors that do call to discourage them from calling back. Obviously, document any calls that you do receive, writing down the name, number and employer of the caller, the time and date called, and any info in the conversation that might be useful.

Here, if you do that, we WILL call you at work, because you have failed to priovide an alternate number. If you dont reply to letters, we call you at work. If you are hidng the car, we call you at work.

If we have judgement, we wont call you at work....but your boss will get a garnishee notice. Or a summons to attend an examination hearing...and if you dont turn up for thatm, we send the sheriff to your work, and we ARREST you and haul you before the court.

Quick tip, son, do NOT screw with your creditors and play games..all you will do is convince them that you have no intention of paying.

5. If you think that you are in danger of being sued, it is critical to try to avoid the process server - until they serve you you aren't obligated to show up. In some states, process servers can serve you by certified mail or by leaving service with any member of your household who is over a certain age (usually 14, but may vary by states), so don't accept any certified mail, and tell your kids not to open the door to anyone they don't know.

So we serve you at work. Or we can do whats called substituted service.

6. Generally speaking, you are under no obligation to deal with "debt collectors", by which I mean people or companies to whom you owe no money, but are trying to collect for a fee on behalf of a creditor. Ask anyone who calls "are you with the creditor or are you a debt collector?" You can tell debt collectors you won't deal with them.

If they have purchased the debt,. you had better talk to them. Note, ladies and gentlemen,. that the DUmmie is doing all he can to avoid repaying what he used, and is busy showing people how to not take responsiblity for their own spending.

8. Creditors often become more pliable if you tell them that you are thinking of going bankrupt, especially if you tell them you've already contacted an attorney. Obviously, this is more credible if you have actually done so, or at least have the name of an attorney likely to take your case. Some attorneys do free bankruptcy consulations...since the first consultation is free, it might be worth going, just to establish the relationship.

Dont lie, son, thos elies will come back to haunt you..because thewy will ask the name of the lawyer, and tghen call them and ask them, and the lawyer had better not lie, because he has more to lose than you do.

And if you can afford the lawyer, you can afford repayments on your debt.

9. Find out immediately if your home state allows wage garnishments for unsecured debts. If you live in a state that does not allow wage garnishment, it is a huge advantage for you. Your employer's HR department can probably tell you this, if you don't mind them knowing your situation.

Great idea, start a new job and tell them you have a load of debts and will have debt collectors after you. Brilliant.

10. Remember that debt collectors, repo men, et al usually get paid only if they collect. This motivates them to be very aggressive, and can often lead them to being extremely p*ssed at you if you are beating them.

Hope this helps.

Dealing with deadbeats like you doesnt help.

FlaGator
07-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Excellent advice from DebtorUnderground... Coming soon to an episode of "Repomen"

biccat
07-26-2008, 08:48 PM
1. Don't marry your girlfriend, at least for right now, and don't do anything that could legally tie you to her debts. Although you may want to help her "on the sly", don't let any of the creditors convince you to assume any legal responsibility for the debts, i.e. don't co-sign anything, etc. The two of you are better off if one of you has clean credit than if neither of you does.
In what states do you assume your spouses debt? I know that in at least 2, as long as you don't transfer all of your money into a joint account, debts will remain separate. I suppose California, being a community property state, might make you responsible for debts, but that is an extreme case.

5. If you think that you are in danger of being sued, it is critical to try to avoid the process server - until they serve you you aren't obligated to show up. In some states, process servers can serve you by certified mail or by leaving service with any member of your household who is over a certain age (usually 14, but may vary by states), so don't accept any certified mail, and tell your kids not to open the door to anyone they don't know.
Then they'll resort to my all-time favorite method of serving process: publication. A wonderous method that only requires a 7-day ad being taken out in the local paper, or even better, some states allow publication at the courthouse. So if you're not watching the paper, get ready for a default judgment. Then the Sheriff gets involved.

With one of this term's Supreme Court opinions, debt collectors have a much easier time of getting into the courthouse.

biccat
07-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Some other classic (typical DUmmie) responses:

Bring in the government:

kgfnally Donating Member (1000+ posts)
Response to Reply #73
84. Auto depreciation is something we need legislation to address

I didn't know this, but a new car is apparently worth something like 20% less than what you paid for it the moment it drives off the lot.

That should be outright illegal.

Get involved with organized crime:

MercutioATC Donating Member (1000+ posts)Response to Reply #54
55. Exactly. The only "solution" is not recommended if you want to stay legal...

I hear that some junkyards have big machines that can shred an entire car to little bits.

...and I hear that if you remove all of the VIN plates (check the internet for all of the locations), those bits can't be identified.

I also hear that there are junkyard owners who get amnesia when shown a couple of Benjamins.

...but that's just stuff I hear.

Leave the country and quit your job:

fiziwig Donating Member (1000+ posts)
39. I had an aquintence who went through that.

Her car was repo'd and the credit card companies hounded her till she had her phone disconnected and got a cell phone instead. After about three years of her ignoring the credit card companies, they filed suit. After she ignored the suit, they sent her a notice of judgment. After she ignored the judgment for a couple years they stopped bugging her. That was about five years ago, and last I heard they had all given up. She moved out of the country shortly after that and I haven't heard from her for a couple years.

At the time she was unemployed, but doing misc short-term contract work. Otherwise I suppose they could have attached her wages, but since she had no regular wages, they had nothing to attach.

This thread should be "what not to do if you can't pay your car loan..."

Also lots of laughs, the voice of reason is shot down.

Joe Holmes (35 posts)
61. Well, heres a suggestion-

Why don't you and your girlfriend each get a 2nd job to pay off your debts? I notice you've had the time to make over 18,000 posts on DU. Thats a lot of free time spent on the internet. Surely you can find the extra hours to generate some more income to eliminate your financial problems.

bonito (1000+ posts)
Response to Reply #61
62. How does it feel to tread on thin ice?

I smell a pizza.

FlaGator
07-26-2008, 10:37 PM
bonito (1000+ posts)
Response to Reply #61

I smell a pizza.

Translation: Personal responsibility and posts condoning it are frowned upon at DU. You will be banned for siuggesting such a thing.

You know, I wonder if all those offering advice would be offering the same advice if they were owed the money? I suspect not but then again they are DUers.

SarasotaRepub
07-26-2008, 10:47 PM
You just have to shake your head in wonder at a lot of those responses...:rolleyes:

sofa king
07-26-2008, 10:50 PM
You know, I wonder if all those offering advice would be offering the same advice if they were owed the money?

if you want the answer to that question start a thread about "my employer did not pay me this week!"

shoe. foot. oh my!

ConJinx
07-26-2008, 11:51 PM
I have a Drinking disorder, can I get Medicaid to buy my next 6-pack

FlaGator
07-27-2008, 07:25 AM
I have a Drinking disorder, can I get Medicaid to buy my next 6-pack

No but they will provide you with a straw.

Claret1995
07-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Even after all these years of the DUmp, I still cannot believe they are this stupid

kgfnally (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-26-08 02:40 AM
Response to Reply #73
84. Auto depreciation is something we need legislation to address
I didn't know this, but a new car is apparently worth something like 20% less than what you paid for it the moment it drives off the lot.

That should be outright illegal.

FDK
07-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Finally, after 148 posts, we find out the truth. It's Bush's fault:

thecatburgler (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 02:16 AM
Response to Reply #108
148. Actually, yes. In a society that also tells people that spending is their patriotic duty.
Along with a multi-billion dollar marketing complex that brainwashes people into buying things they don't need. There's a definite disconnect there. If people had been dutifully saving their extra (hah!) cash the past 10 years, then the housing and credit bubble that's been propping up our economy would have been non-existent. I'm not inclined to blame ordinary people for not having healthy savings and retirement accounts when you had (a) a President who was demanding that Americans go shopping after 9/11 (b) predatory mortgage lenders and credit card companies and (c) banks that we can't even depend on to insure our accounts. Really, try to put the blame where it really belongs. Yes, some people foolishly overspent, but that pales in comparison to the way GIANT CORPORATIONS and OUR OWN GOVERNMENT have squandered our economic security.

AmPat
07-27-2008, 11:31 AM
What happens if you can't pay your car payment and credit cards?

Well gosh Stupid, you go to Debtor's Prison. Haven't you been paying attention to your own Liberal Morons who insist our civil liberties are gone and GW has declared "Marshall (sic) Law?" :rolleyes:

Elspeth
07-27-2008, 12:15 PM
bonito (1000+ posts)
Response to Reply #61

I smell a pizza.

The poster was being threatened with tombstoning because he offered some constructive advice? Does DU allow all this threat of tombstoning even when their Messiah is not involved?

lacarnut
07-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Finally, after 148 posts, we find out the truth. It's Bush's fault:

I agree partially that it is Bush's fault along with Congress with their mentality of spend like crazy and that things will always be great. Buy that house, car, refrig., big screen TV because we need to keep the economy rolling rather than save for a rainy day or for retirement. However, in the long run, it's up to each individual to make good or bad choices and a lot of people made bad choices.

What is the rebate program about? The government does not want you to pay down your debt or save it. They want you to go out and buy more crap and in most instances crap you want rather than need. Unless it is the basic necessities of life, you don't need it.

Zeus
07-27-2008, 03:24 PM
I agree partially that it is Bush's fault along with Congress with their mentality of spend like crazy and that things will always be great. Buy that house, car, refrig., big screen TV because we need to keep the economy rolling rather than save for a rainy day or for retirement. However, in the long run, it's up to each individual to make good or bad choices and a lot of people made bad choices.

What is the rebate program about? The government does not want you to pay down your debt or save it. They want you to go out and buy more crap and in most instances crap you want rather than need. Unless it is the basic necessities of life, you don't need it.

Doesn't matter if you bank your rebate or spend it. It is still in the economic pipeline Either action will stimulate the economy. Whether it was the right choice for the individual or not is irrelevant it still stimulates the economy.

I read somewhere awhile back that quite a few of those rebate checks did go to eliminate or reduce debte. Unfortunately or fortunately,depending how you look at it, that debt was owed to the IRS.

hampshirebrit
07-27-2008, 03:39 PM

An excellent post.

And unless anyone thinks this is an exclusively RW meme, it's exactly what our own Labour government has been up to for years. The chickens are coming home to roost, finally.

lacarnut
07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Doesn't matter if you bank your rebate or spend it. It is still in the economic pipeline Either action will stimulate the economy. Whether it was the right choice for the individual or not is irrelevant it still stimulates the economy.

Spending like a drunken sailor in the private sector may stimulate the economy but what happens in the future when the worm turns and inflation and interest rates go sky high with job losses. The government is not doing us any great favors by cranking up the printing presses and allowing the dollar to decrease in value. BTW, Congress is considering another rebate. The answer to our economic woes is NOT government intervention; it is for people to understand and make the right choices regarding credit.

Zeus
07-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Spending like a drunken sailor in the private sector may stimulate the economy but what happens in the future when the worm turns and inflation and interest rates go sky high with job losses. The government is not doing us any great favors by cranking up the printing presses and allowing the dollar to decrease in value. BTW, Congress is considering another rebate. The answer to our economic woes is NOT government intervention; it is for people to understand and make the right choices regarding credit.

Not that it stops them from spending anyway but who would you rather see spending money, The Govt or the private sector ? That was the whole point of the Rebates. Get the money into the pipeline as soon as possible and it gets there quicker through the private sector than it does through govt spending. never meant to be a cure all just a short term stimulus band aid.For once when the govt felt the need to get involved it took the right approach. The Govt took the Macro approach & left it to the private sector to work out the micro aspect.

I do think the second round rebate checks were to little too late(maybe).If the govt was serious about economic stimulus they would make the tax cuts of 2001 & 2003 permanent.

lacarnut
07-28-2008, 01:01 AM
Not that it stops them from spending anyway but who would you rather see spending money, The Govt or the private sector ? That was the whole point of the Rebates. Get the money into the pipeline as soon as possible and it gets there quicker through the private sector than it does through govt spending. never meant to be a cure all just a short term stimulus band aid.For once when the govt felt the need to get involved it took the right approach. The Govt took the Macro approach & left it to the private sector to work out the micro aspect.

I do think the second round rebate checks were to little too late(maybe).If the govt was serious about economic stimulus they would make the tax cuts of 2001 & 2003 permanent.

One thing is for certain; those who are deep in debt, have not saved a dime and are in their latter years in life will never be able to retire unless they change their spending habits. Also, there will not be enough Walleymart greeter jobs available in the future. I go to Orange Beach Al several times a year and there is this elderly lady working in the deli that can barely walk because she has this awful hip problem. I see a lot more older people working nowadays out of necessity.

As far as I am concerned, the rebate was good to prop up the economy but bad in the sense that it gives some people a false security into going out and buying more crap that they want instead of need. Debtors need to pull their horns in, pay down their debt and start saving.

Sonnabend
07-28-2008, 10:14 AM
I once knew a guy that really got into trouble...he didn't pay the exorcist.

..and was repossessed. :D:D:D

biccat
07-28-2008, 11:33 AM
One thing is for certain; those who are deep in debt, have not saved a dime and are in their latter years in life will never be able to retire unless they change their spending habits.
...or they vote elect someone who will take money from those who did choose to save and give it to the irresponsible.

We will hear about it as the "great retirement crisis" and there will be a demand for a new social security 'fix,' requiring more taxation and seizure of assets.

linda22003
07-28-2008, 11:48 AM
...or they vote elect someone who will take money from those who did choose to save and give it to the irresponsible.

We will hear about it as the "great retirement crisis" and there will be a demand for a new social security 'fix,' requiring more taxation and seizure of assets.

I'm waiting for this one. It won't be long. :(