PDA

View Full Version : Europe cold snap kills dozens across continent

bijou
12-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Dozens of people have died across Europe as days of snow storms and sub-zero temperatures swept the continent, causing traffic chaos for millions.
At least 29 people froze to death in Poland as temperatures fell far below freezing, while in southern Germany a figure of -33C (-27F) was recorded.
Moscow said it was deploying 9,000 snow ploughs to clear the city's streets.
Air, rail and road transport links were disrupted across northern Europe where more snow was expected in coming days.
Eurostar services between the UK and the continent were suspended on Monday for a third day, as the company launched an immediate review into train breakdowns which have stranded and delayed tens of thousands of passengers since Friday.
'Saturation point'
The crisis prompted French President Nicolas Sarkozy to call the head of national rail carrier SNCF - the majority stakeholder in Eurostar - to order a normal resumption of service by Tuesday.

Meanwhile Eurotunnel - which carries vehicles under the Channel between England and France - said its terminal at Folkestone was at "saturation point" and closed its shuttle car service to new arrivals.
In Poland, police appealed for people to help if they came across homeless or drunk people lying outside, as temperatures dropped towards -20C in some areas.
Most of the 42 people who froze to death in the country over the weekend were homeless, police said. ... link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8424953.stm)

Damn that global warming. :mad:

Gingersnap
12-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Don't worry! AGW is non-falsifiable so your so-called "cold snap" is merely a local phenomenon having no relation to the broader concerns of the hoax.....I mean the reality..... of AGW. :p

Speedy
12-21-2009, 03:36 PM
I knew getting all of those inefficient cars and SUVs off the street in that Cash for Clunkers program was going to bite us in the ass! This is purely Obama's fault.

hampshirebrit
12-21-2009, 04:02 PM
It's gridlocked here. The region (South East/South Central) appears to be at complete gridlock at the moment. The M3 is shut. Most of the main roads are at a stand-still.

I'm expecting to be hosting a good friend of mine here tonight because of this. His wife works near where I live, and lives three miles away in the same burgh, a journey which today took her three hours to complete. He's currently in a car seven miles away, and has been seven miles away for about three hours now. Even the cellular phone network is overloaded. SMS just about works.

Meanwhile our elected idiots go junketting of to Copenhagen on business and first class air, to fix a probably non-existant problem there instead of planning for and fixing a very real problem here.

hampshirebrit
12-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Keep 'em red. Don't show any white. That would be a very, very not good idea right now.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01843.jpg

I'm just wondering how the hell I'm going to complete Wednesday's journey if this keeps up.

Gingersnap
12-21-2009, 04:56 PM
How much snow do you actually have? Do your stores sell chains? I don't mean the heavy-duty real ones like I have, I mean the lighter kind. If they do, you might want to pick up a set while you can.

hampshirebrit
12-21-2009, 05:08 PM
That's the exact problem. It's up to maybe 4 inches max, but we have become so used to no snow at all in the South that we are hopelessly under resourced when it does happen, which it seems to be doing more frequently. My colleagues in Aberdeen would not consider this anything more than a light dusting, and their kids would probably make it to school and back without problem.

I might see if my local KwikFit has winter tyres for my car, but I'll probably get the usual slack-jawed drooling response for my efforts. And the other problem will be all the other "keine Winterreiffen" idiots who'll be doing their best to hit me. :(

Gingersnap
12-21-2009, 05:23 PM
That's the exact problem. It's up to maybe 4 inches max, but we have become so used to no snow at all in the South that we are hopelessly under resourced when it does happen, which it seems to be doing more frequently. My colleagues in Aberdeen would not consider this anything more than a light dusting, and their kids would probably make it to school and back without problem.

I might see if my local KwikFit has winter tyres for my car, but I'll probably get the usual slack-jawed drooling response for my efforts. And the other problem will be all the other "keine Winterreiffen" idiots who'll be doing their best to hit me. :(

Well, you've got a point there. Four inches wouldn't be news out here, either. On the other hand, even if there were no plows or gravel trucks at all, 4 inches wouldn't stop traffic here. Heck - I don't even clear my own driveway for anything under 6 or 7 inches.

hampshirebrit
12-21-2009, 05:48 PM
It would really help if the UK Met Office would stop pretending to know how to predict 30-year-out non-events such as AGW and instead at least make a token effort to get a two or five day forecast right now and then. They got this one completely wrong.

Am I asking too much? The weather itself is not their fault, but getting the regional forecast so completely wrong in this way definitely is their fault, especially as they are now spending their time and money (aka my time and money) on propagandizing unsettled AGW science.

lacarnut
12-21-2009, 06:02 PM

If it were me, I would try to rent a vehicle with AWD and leave my beautiful Porsche in the garage. Otherwise, I would say screw it and stay home.:)

hampshirebrit
12-21-2009, 06:26 PM
If it were me, I would try to rent a vehicle with AWD and leave my beautiful Porsche in the garage. Otherwise, I would say screw it and stay home.:)

That's good advice, and I've been seriously contemplating the rental option today. I'd far rather trash a rental car than my car, although I'd far rather not trash any car at all. I'll decide tomorrow.

SarasotaRepub
12-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Hamp, call AlGore and tell him you need some of dat Global Climate Change
carbon creditted your way. :rolleyes::D

But don't forget all you "Climate Deniers", because it's cold here means it's
really warm somewhere else...or is it the other way???:confused:

It sounds like Atlanta Hamp. They fall apart too if they get even a inch or two.

stsinner
12-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Keep 'em red. Don't show any white. That would be a very, very not good idea right now.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01843.jpg

I'm just wondering how the hell I'm going to complete Wednesday's journey if this keeps up.

Is that YOUR Porsche?

hampshirebrit
12-22-2009, 03:44 AM
Is that YOUR Porsche?

Yes it is.

Sonnabend
12-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Hamps...you need a 4WD and make sure its turbo diesel. My mate who is a firie, just came back from snow rescue training. Thats what he recommends for snow travel.

DONT get a petrol only..make sure its diesel...better range and costs less.

Gingersnap
12-22-2009, 09:27 AM
DONT get a petrol only..make sure its diesel...better range and costs less.

He's lives in England - what kind of range does he need? You can basically walk across the entire country in a day. :p

hampshirebrit
12-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Looks like the main roads are OK today and should be ok for tomorrow. The main problem is the local streets around me, which are very slippery. The Porker is a 4WD as it happens so hopefully I should be ok.

I've been out taking Christmas card piccies this morning, so I'll be posting them in a while.

hampshirebrit
12-22-2009, 09:39 AM
He's lives in England - what kind of range does he need? You can basically walk across the entire country in a day. :p

Sonna has a point in last night's case ... a friend of mine took 8 hours to do a 20 mi journey. Stop - start - stop all the way (mostly stop). The engine had to be kept running because of the temperatures he had to contend with. Fortunately he had a full tank of gas. Others were less fortunate ... something in the order of 2000 cars were abandoned by their owners last night in this area.

Gingersnap
12-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Sonna has a point in last night's case ... a friend of mine took 8 hours to do a 20 mi journey. Stop - start - stop all the way (mostly stop). The engine had to be kept running because of the temperatures he had to contend with. Fortunately he had a full tank of gas. Others were less fortunate ... something in the order of 2000 cars were abandoned by their owners last night in this area.

I was just yanking your tail, Hamps. Are you sure Al Gore isn't holed up somewhere in London? :D

hampshirebrit
12-22-2009, 09:57 AM
I was just yanking your tail, Hamps. Are you sure Al Gore isn't holed up somewhere in London? :D

Wouldn't surprise me ... Gordon Brown has predictably enough fallen for the whole AGW BS, hook, line and sinker.

Here's the pics:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01851.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01856.jpg

The 2nd one looks like a Bev Doolittle print I have, without the Indians and the horses.

bijou
12-22-2009, 01:40 PM
The big freeze: Temperatures expected to hit -6c tonight
Mark Prigg, Science and Technology Editor

A big freeze will pile even more misery on commuters and Christmas holidaymakers tonight on one of the coldest nights of the year in London.

Temperatures of -6C in the suburbs and -2C in central London are expected to cause major difficulties on icy roads and pavements. ... http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23787267-the-big-freeze-temperatures-expected-to-hit--6c-tonight.do

Someone must be holding Al Gore prisoner in London. :(

Gingersnap
12-22-2009, 01:51 PM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23787267-the-big-freeze-temperatures-expected-to-hit--6c-tonight.do

Someone must be holding Al Gore prisoner in London. :(

Then his evil twin is being held for ransom somewhere in the Western U.S.A. :(

PoliCon
12-22-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm sure that this is bush's fault some how - and of course - blizzards are caused by global warming . . . . :rolleyes:

FlaGator
12-22-2009, 02:01 PM
That's good advice, and I've been seriously contemplating the rental option today. I'd far rather trash a rental car than my car, although I'd far rather not trash any car at all. I'll decide tomorrow.

I like your Porsche. Fortunately mine never sees the snow...

hampshirebrit
12-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I like your Porsche. Fortunately mine never sees the snow...

You have one too? How cool. Which one?

This is my second. I had a Boxster until last year. I totalled it in Germany in icy conditions ... one reason I'm not overly keen on the current weather in Teh Yuk.

stsinner
12-22-2009, 04:46 PM
You have one too? How cool. Which one?

This is my second. I had a Boxster until last year. I totalled it in Germany in icy conditions ... one reason I'm not overly keen on the current weather in Teh Yuk.

Are studded tires legal there? I have a Subaru, which, of course, is AWD, so I'm about 80% sure-footed.. Studs make it 100%.. Awesome ice traction, but you have to get them off once the roads are dry again.

I know when I was in Switzerland, there were passes that were closed to you unless you had tire chains..

hampshirebrit
12-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Are studded tires legal there? I have a Subaru, which, of course, is AWD, so I'm about 80% sure-footed.. Studs make it 100%.. Awesome ice traction, but you have to get them off once the roads are dry again.

I know when I was in Switzerland, there were passes that were closed to you unless you had tire chains..

Sounds like you know your cars. Which Scooby do you have? I've a couple of friends have the P1. I considered it when I binned the 986, but I loved the 911 too much not to get another porker.

Studs and winterreiffen are hard to come by here. Most tyre places won't even stock them down south, but in Scotland harsh winters are more the norm. I'm fairly certain that studs are not legal in the UK, but the cops probably would not know them from a hole in the ground.