PDA

View Full Version : Reid Bill Says Future Congresses Cannot Repeal Parts of Reid Bill

megimoo
12-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Senator Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) pointed out some rather astounding language in the Senate health care bill during floor remarks tonight.

"Just wait until the House Adds The Public Option Back Into The Bill along with Full Abortion funding !"

First, he noted that there are a number of changes to Senate rules in the bill--and it's supposed to take a 2/3 vote to change the rules.

And then he pointed out that the Reid bill declares on page 1020 that the Independent Medicare Advisory Board cannot be repealed by future Congresses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnmvVo_itT0&feature=player_embedded

there's one provision that i found particularly troubling and it's under section c, titled "limitations on changes to this subsection."

and i quote -- "it shall not be in order in the senate or the house of representatives to consider any bill, resolution, amendment, or conference report that would repeal or otherwise change this subsection."

this is not legislation. it's not law. this is a rule change. it's a pretty big deal. we will be passing a new law and at the same time creating a senate rule that makes it out of order to amend or even repeal the law.

i'm not even sure that it's constitutional, but if it is, it most certainly is a senate rule. i don't see why the majority party wouldn't put this in every bill. if you like your law, you most certainly would want it to have force for future senates.

i mean, we want to bind future congresses. this goes to the fundamental purpose of senate rules: to prevent a tyrannical majority from trampling the rights of the minority or of future co congresses.

According to page 1001 of the Reid bill, the purpose of the Independent Medical Advisory Board is to "reduce the per capita rate of growth in Medicare spending."

For any fearmongers out there tempted to call an unelected body that recommends Medicare cuts a "Death Panel," let me be clear.

According to page 1004, IMAB proposals "shall not include any recommendation to ration health care"--you know, just like the bill says there's no funding for abortion.

Paging Sarah Palin: the death panel is unkillable.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/12/reid_bill_declares_future_cong_1.asp

coach
12-22-2009, 09:07 AM
you may (or may not) be able to make them go away but you can eliminate their funding.

NJCardFan
12-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Funny. They are trying to make this bill untouchable yet they believe that the Bill of Rights can be amended. Wow.

AmPat
12-22-2009, 11:30 AM
I stated on another post that they would do this. The DUMBORAT party wants full control of every thing. Where are the screaming liberals who for 8 years shreiked about loss of rights, Bush control, etc, etc? Where are you retards now that real tyranny is taking place?

Now that "Hope and Change" has become "Hopelessly Changed," we will begin to see the loss of traditional rights to go the way of traditional morals.:mad:

Apache
12-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I really hope and pray that this monstrosity(sp?) never sees the light of day...

megimoo
12-22-2009, 01:06 PM
I really hope and pray that this monstrosity(sp?) never sees the light of day...It will,You can count on it !The thing is Maxine Waters (Communist,Ca )Wants the same payola deal that Nelson has and she will fight to have the public option and full funded aborting put back into the house version,The Congressional Black Caucus ,don't cha know.

In the next few elections the Liberals will lose about forty house seats and maybe ten in the senate.The Republicans are just as bad.Just a bit more rational.

Apache
12-22-2009, 01:17 PM
It will,You can count on it !The thing is Maxine Waters (Communist,Ca )Wants the same payola deal that Nelson has and she will fight to have the public option and full funded aborting put back into the house version,The Congressional Black Caucus ,don't cha know.

In the next few elections the Liberals will lose about forty house seats and maybe ten in the senate.The Republicans are just as bad.Just a bit more rational.

Reconciliation((SP?) again) is the last hurdle...

FlaGator
12-22-2009, 01:26 PM
I would suggest that some future congress votes to repeal and let the SCOTUS decide. Besides the sets a bad precedence in the cause of some bill (like this one) gets passed and it does so much damange to the economy (like this one will) and Congress can't get rid of it so down the toilet we go.

PoliCon
12-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Funny. They are trying to make this bill untouchable yet they believe that the Bill of Rights can be amended. Wow.

hopefully there wil be a constitutional challenge to this which will strike the whole fucking mess down. :mad: THIS SHIT PISSES ME OFF. BOTH of my senators intend to ignore the will of the people of Pennsylvania and vote for this mess. SUCH BULLSHIT.

stsinner
12-22-2009, 03:19 PM
And they vote at 1 in the morning!!! And on Christmas Eve!!! The whole multi-thousand mess is disgusting! They have absolutely destroyed my faith and trust in politicians.

FlaGator
12-22-2009, 03:26 PM
And they vote at 1 in the morning!!! And on Christmas Eve!!! The whole multi-thousand mess is disgusting! They have absolutely destroyed my faith and trust in politicians.

Mine was destroyed a long time ago. With the exception of a couple a people they are all con men and scam artists. Just look at the wheeling and dealing they've done with our money? Harry Reid said this was a Christmas present for the American people... but who's money paid for it?

PoliCon
12-22-2009, 03:48 PM
I've decided that term limits are not enough. We need laws limiting the amount of time they can spend in Washington - and the amount of time Congress can be in session. They need to spend far more time at home than they do.

AmPat
12-22-2009, 07:15 PM
They need to mandate this"Christmas present" for themselves. If it is such a grand thing, why are they optioned out? ANY Liberal scum want to answer that?:mad: