PDA

View Full Version : "Seven State Backlash for Nelson’s Nebraska Deal"

megimoo
12-23-2009, 03:09 AM
7-State Backlash for Nelson’s Nebraska Deal

"Whats going on with RINO Graham and even McCain ?They are acting like Conservatives these days ?"

Senator Ben Nelson, Democrat of Nebraska, may have taught his Congressional colleagues a valuable lesson when he clinched a special deal for his state. But not all of them are happy about it.

Mr. Nelson, Democrat of Nebraska, bargained for extra payments for his home state during negotiations late last week, in which he provided Senate Democrats with the magical 60th vote they needed to advance their health care bill.Prompted by an angry Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, the attorney general of that state and six others are looking at the Nelson deal, which they have dubbed the “Nebraska compromise,”
snip.

He is not the only one to win concessions for his state, but he has become the focus of attention, partly because he was holding out so publicly for anti-abortion language even as he made Nebraska-friendly deals on the side.

While South Carolina tries to wring out more money itself, Senator Graham has vowed to make an example of Mr. Nelson. The South Carolina attorney general, Henry McMaster, is looking into the Nelson deal, as are his counterparts in Alabama, Colorado, Michigan, North Dakota, Texas and Washington state — all Republicans.

It is not clear what, if anything, South Carolina or the other states could do about the Nelson arrangement.

"This Part Is Funny .A political hack calling another hacks dealing "sleazy".

But Mr. Graham was apparently shocked, shocked, at the bargaining, calling it sleazy and saying it harmed citizens of every other state who would now be paying for Nebraska.

“Is it appropriate for the federal government to do a special deal for one state to get that senator’s vote and every other state will incur financial liability?” Mr. Graham asked.

“I’m not so sure that’s constitutional,” he said. “I know it doesn’t pass the smell test, and I know it’s sleazy politics. But I think you’ve got a real legal problem with that.”And yet, many other members of Congress are eager to follow the Nelson example, including one from South Carolina: Representative James Clyburn, a Democrat. Mr. Clyburn told The A.P. that he wanted to get more money for his state when the Senate and House begin negotiating a final health care bill.

Mr. Clyburn said he hopeed to increase the federal portion of Medicaid payments to his state to 95 percent. That would be up from the 90 percent that most states get — most except Nebraska, which will now get 100 percent of its Medicaid expansion picked up by the federal government, in perpetuity, thanks to Senator Nelson.

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/7-state-backlash-for-nelsons-nebraska-deal/